Prayer Request/Update

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Prayer Request/Update

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:47 am

I'm sorry to take room up here, but I wanted to ask for specific prayer as my heart issue got out of hand and I was admitted to the hospital Tuesday night. I praise the Lord that everything is going much better now. I will copy and paste the e-mail I sent out to my church/homeschooling friends:

Let me just say, I could feel the prayers of my friends all last night and today. It was a scary few hours. I had gone to the doctor yesterday and found out that my BP was really high. The Dr had tried to get me started on meds and I fought it, thinking it was just a fluke since I've never had BP probs before. (Note to self: Knock yourself in the head next time you don't want to follow doctor orders)

Around 8ish last night I started to become nauseated. I tried to justify it away saying it was nerves (learning that I might really have high bp) and then because of something I ate. However, when I started to feel "pressure" in my chest and neck I knew I needed to go to the hospital. Even though I was scared to death I could feel the presence of my Lord. How sweet it was to know that even if the worst thing happened I would just close my eyes "here" and open them "there".

When the triage nurse called me back my blood pressure was in the stroke and seizure range. I couldn't believe what she said to me.., "Ok maam I want you to lay down so we can do an EKG immediately as you might be having a heart attack"? WHAT?! A HEART ATTACK?! If my blood pressure wasn't fully in the stroke range in jumped very quickly. (smiling as I can only imagine my reaction to a person on the outside) I think I actually said, "No, no, don't tell me things like that. My BP will never come down"...., (nervous laugh)

They got me back immediately and when Chris my official nurse took my blood pressure he said, "Ok Mrs. Arnold I need to get a vein open and IV started because this BP is so high you could have a stroke. (someone really needs to train these people on what NOT to say while in the midst of extremely high blood pressure) I gave him my "no-no" story.

In a nutshell:

My first EKG showed stress on the heart because of the strength of the hearts contractions. (Since the blood pressure was so high) It did not show permanent damage. (can I sneak in a PTL?)

They gave me 3 doses of nitroglycerine which is a vaso dialator and opens up all your vessels. It helped with the chest pressure, but gave me a headache like I have never EVER experienced in my life. It took 3 doses of morphine, two doses of tylenol, ice packs to my head and approx five hours to get rid of it? The Lord reminded me to pray for those who suffer from migraines as I felt such compassion. I literally could do nothing but sit and cry.

The really good news is all of the blood work came back wonderful. It showed no sign of cardiac enzymes which would have indicated heart attack. I truly believe it was the prayers of those going up all over the place. I could feel the presence of the Holy God ministering to me and those scary moments.

If I had to tell you how I saw Jesus that night...., In the bed next to me was a young man who had tried to kill himself with a drug OD. I was able to stop and pray for him. An older nurse who casually mentioned that she started to have high blood pressure at 39 and it was not a big deal. (I'm 39 and her calmness brought me "Life and peace) The Lord gave me a christian nurse when I got to my floor. Her name was Beth and she is the mom to two young children 3 & 5. I felt like she was an immediate friend and she showed me such tender mercy as she made special ice packs for my headache and quietly chatted about church.

I started on my beta blocker today and so if the Lord brings it to mind that is where my prayer request lies. It is going to take some adjustments over the next few weeks. He started me on the lowest dose possible and will gently increase it until we get my BP to a comfortable level. Beta blockers make you very sleepy and lightheaded at first and because I tend to be sensitive to medication it might take my body a bit of time to regulate. My prayer is that there is no learning curve. I hate taking medicine. They think that unless I get myself in shape I will need to take this the rest of my life. (I plan to get myself in shape)

Once again, thank you so very much! He heard your prayers and ministered to my family.

Mary

PS- My "Betty" came out. I became chatty as I was nervous and my husband kept laughing because I found out all kinds of information about all of my health care providers. I asked about their families, their dreams, their jobs, their goals and they would just open up and share. The more we "chatted" the better I felt. At around 2am, my Scotty said, "Mare, I know you're a Betty AND your taking Morphine, but I just want to remind you that I haven't had any morphine, I'm not a Betty and it's 2am". (LOL, in other words..., HUSH!)

Now I am having a problem of LOW blood pressure. :roll: As a matter of fact they've asked me to stop taking the meds until I can talk with my doctor. Oy Vey, what a ride this has been, but you all know my favorite verse from Lamentations, "Can anything happen without the Lord's Permission?"
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:00 am

Praying for you right now. Thank you for sharing all that has been happening. You are a true testimony of God's very REAL presence in ANY situation.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 am

Mary, I am saying a prayer for you right now and am giving praise that you were so comforted in that situation. You are a wonderful example of living faith! I will keep you in my prayers. I know the Lord will continue to comfort you .

You are such a blessing to so many women!

Allison

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:20 am

Mary! I am lifting you up in prayer right now!
Please slow down and take care of yourself.
Dorla

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 am

What a whirlwind you have been on in just a couple of days. Whew. I am ever so glad that you heeded your heart and went to the hospital. Hopefully they'll figure it all out with the meds. So much of medicine is a guessing game anyway...thankfully we have the Great Physician on our side. :D
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

we6rblessed

Post by we6rblessed » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 am

Wow, Mary, what a scare!
I will be praying that things get into normal range.
It is amazing how the Lord uses us, as long as we are willing, in any situation. I know that you planted good seed in that male patient you shared with.
Blessings,
~Linda

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:47 am

Mary wrote:My first EKG showed stress on the heart because of the strength of the hearts contractions. (Since the blood pressure was so high) It did not show permanent damage. (can I sneak in a PTL?)
Heck girl...shout that from the roof tops!!! Absolutely Praise the LORD! \0/

I'm so glad that you went to the hospital and got checked....heart conditions are nothing to play around with.

Lord, I thank you and praise you that there was no serious or permanent damage to Mary's heart. I ask that You would give the doctors wisdom as they find the proper medication and dosage to treat Mary's BP. And if there is any underlying cause for the high BP I ask that You would reveal it. Give Mary and her family peace as she is going through this time and give her plenty of time of rest. In Your mighty and powerful name, Amen.

Jer. 32:17
"Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You."
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Thank You for the prayers, words of encouragment and the precious word of the Lord! I cannot WAIT to start back on my HOD next week. Sheesh, I just want normal. :D

Love you All,
Mary :smooch:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Carly

Post by Carly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:04 pm

Oh, Mary!
I had NO idea. I'll be praying for your continued peace
and health. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
It was touching. God is doing a mighty work in you.
Carly

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 pm

I'll say it with you:
Praise the Lord!

Unbelievable that you didn't suffer permanent damage from all that. Praying for you here.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Mary,

I just wanted to encourage you and let you know I'll be praying for you. It is such a blessing that you went into the hospital and that there was no permanent damage done, PTL! :D

My husband had a minor heart attack at age 39 and did spill the cardiac enzymes. Since he was so young, they thought he was having a spasm at first, but when it returned, they saw the enzymes spilling!

He is a very healthy person, eats well, and exercises well, so we're not sure why it happened. He had smoked lightly and immediately gave that up, PTL! He has just had his second perfect stress-test and is able to be medication free except for an aspirin each day. Sometimes the Lord just gives us a wake-up call to change the pace of our life or a nudge to take care of a health issue that needs to be brought to the forefront. My hubby has no heart damage either. :D

I also have high-blood pressure and once my meds were right, I've been able to live with well-controlled blood pressure enjoying every bit of my life. I trust that the Lord will carry you through this and bring you safely to the other side, so he can use you to accomplish His work! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Mary,

I am so relieved to hear that everything is going to be okay, you have been through a lot. Please remember to slow down a bit and focus on yourself and your health right now! Take care-Candice

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:06 pm

I will be praying for you Mary.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Mary can I tell you the most horrible thing happened while I was reading this, the power went out so I did not get to read it all. :shock: I am so glad to read you are OK and being well taken care of over all. I am so sorry for the scare. I am still praying for you. Take it easy and rest. Please keep us updated. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:45 pm

Just now seeing this...we have had some terrible lightening today and had the computer unplugged. (I'm having withdrawals!)

I'm actually glad I have gotten to read this entire thread now, and not just when Mary first posted it...how uplifting and encouraging to read all of your experiences and how they are able to encourage Mary in this time of trial! We always realize we are not alone in our struggles, although sometimes we feel that way. This board is so full of wonderful ladies who seem to always have just the right real-life experience to fill us with hope.

Now, Mary...obey those doctor's orders! And, I'm sure getting back into your HOD routine will also help you to relax...right??

Praying for your health, dear Mary!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02