College prep

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
snadig

College prep

Post by snadig » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Hello. I was curious if any of you had your kids enrolled with college prep while doing the upper level guides (MTMM, geography, etc.)

I was thinking duel enrollment might be a good idea, but not sure I am ready to jump into the community college setting yet. We are loving HOD. It seems easy for my older girls now in week 22 of their guides (CTC,MTMM). They are just moving right along. My son is getting there, as he is only on week 17 of bigger doing 4 days a week. I want him to be older before we start preparing. Writing is your biggest struggle, but he has come along way.

Have a great day everyone!
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

Nealewill

Re: College prep

Post by Nealewill » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:26 pm

I don't know what other moms plan to do and my kids are still young but have you ever thought of having your kids take CLEP tests? When I first started homeschooling I always envisions that my kids at 18 would practically be done with their bachelors. Then reality set it in LOL :-). I have since happily revised my plans quite a bit and actually adopted more of cross between unschooling and charlotte mason philosophy. I have though still thought about cheap ways to get some college credit for kids while in high school and to limit enrolling them in college classes. I checked many of the schools near my house and they will accept up to 5 CLEP class at their universities. So that is one thing I am considering. And for us - we are pretty far ahead in Math - especially for my oldest. So I will allow her to take a college level math class if she so feels inclined when she finished all the high school math courses. We also have been studying Spanish but more to be able to speak it, not the grammar and such. If my kids become fluent in Spanish, I would allow them to take that at the college level but I would not let it replace their high school language requirement. I already told them they have to pick something they know nothing about for high school :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Ahhh, so I'm not the only one that feels pressed to start my kids in college early. It's not enough to homeschool and have them ahead academically, they must start college early. Oh and we live near the college by 12 family. If you haven't heard of them do a quick search. Not what I really want for our family though.

My thoughts are that if you did dual enrollment then you would skip whatever subject they were enrolled in. So maybe have them take a math class, science, etc.
You would definitely have to cut back somewhere though.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

4arrows

Post by 4arrows » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:30 pm

I have been looking into Collegeprep as well. Not so that my daughter can start college early but so that she doesn't waste time. She wants to pursue an advanced degree in Veterinary Medicine. It just makes sense for her to get dual credit so she doesn't have to repeat these courses in her first 2 years of college. It will also save her a ton of money. Still looking at our options but want to make the best use of our time and money and also keep her out of college on site classes as long as possible. :)
Love to hear anyone's experience with this!
Elizabeth