More questions......

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sweetgrace

More questions......

Post by sweetgrace » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Ok, I think I'm finally starting to wrap my mind around how the guides work and how I may be able to combine my 5.5yo and 4yo. Please tell me if this sounds like a good plan and if I need to add anything. I am thinking of dropping our current K curriculum for our 5.5yo and starting LHTH with both boys. We will combine the boys in bible study, dramatic play and other activities. My 4yo will do the other work from the LHTH guide. I'm also thinking of getting LHFHG guide so we can have a schedule for my oldest to do the Singapore essentials math and A Reason for Writing K and continue with AAR1 which we are halfway through. Am I understanding now how it works? Should I add in the K options for the R&S workbooks for my oldest? Anything I'm forgetting?

Then when we are done with LHTH we will move into LHFHG using the K options for the younger and 1st grade options for my oldest. So on and so forth with the possibility of beefing up the work load for my oldest later on. Is it ok for a child to be on the low end of the age ranges on the guides? I may have read the answer to that question but can't seem to find it right now.

One more thing, how long does it take to go through LHTH? I see it is 33 units long so should I spread that over the course of a year so my little one had time to turn 5 before beginning LHFHG?

I really appriciate all your help!
Tawny~ Wife and helpmeet to Gabriel~ Mommy to G- 6.5 LHFHG, A-5 LHTH (slowly), B-20m

laurapella

Re: More questions......

Post by laurapella » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm

That is exactly what I did with my 2 girls last year. This year we started LHFHG with my younger doing the K options even though she did not turn 5 until December (in WI she won't technically be K until next year.) Anyway, my 7yo is doing the 1st grade options (except for science). We are only doing 4 days a week, so by the time we get to Bigger, my younger daughter will actually be within the age range. If at some point I need to slow down I will. Or I can separate them later. So far, it is working really well!! HTH! :D I think you will love HOD!

Laura
Laura - Loving HOD!!
DS11 (5th) - CTC + DITHOR, Math Mammoth
DS8 (3rd) - Bigger (4 days/week), Math Mammoth
DD6 (1st) - LHFHG (1st grade options & ER - 4 days/wk), Math Mammoth
DD5 (almost K) - LHFHG (K options & TRL - 4 days/wk)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:48 pm

I would get the Rod and Staff books. They are fun, add in some science, and it is scheduled on days that handwriting isn't scheduled. Everything else looks good!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:49 pm

laurapella wrote:That is exactly what I did with my 2 girls last year. This year we started LHFHG with my younger doing the K options even though she did not turn 5 until December (in WI she won't technically be K until next year.) Anyway, my 7yo is doing the 1st grade options (except for science). We are only doing 4 days a week, so by the time we get to Bigger, my younger daughter will actually be within the age range. If at some point I need to slow down I will. Or I can separate them later. So far, it is working really well!! HTH! :D I think you will love HOD!

Laura
Yay! It's nice that someone else is doing the same thing :) I'm starting to feel really good about this decision. Thank you!
Tawny~ Wife and helpmeet to Gabriel~ Mommy to G- 6.5 LHFHG, A-5 LHTH (slowly), B-20m

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:53 pm

StephanieU wrote:I would get the Rod and Staff books. They are fun, add in some science, and it is scheduled on days that handwriting isn't scheduled. Everything else looks good!
Great! Are you suggesting to add in K science or something else this year? And if we add in K science this year what do we do next year?

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:56 pm

For my oldest, we just did math, phonics, and handwriting (plus AWANA, etc) for K. Then we started HOD this year. So, I don't think you need to do science for K. There are some science activities in LHTH, and you can always do some nature studies (just go for walks and point out things in nature), plant a garden, go to the zoo, etc to get in science. We also occasionally watch shows like Magic SchoolBus as well as read "random" science books from our library. Something that is of interest to your kids is best.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:03 pm

I would agree science isn't really "necessary" and is only exploration at this stage. You could supplement that if you feel you want to, just nature walks, zoo, doing activities outside, sink and float, etc. Find a simple activity book if you need some guidance but keep it hands-on and fun, not book work.

I just replied on your other thread about separating them or doing them together. I think this plan could really work well, as long as the younger one can keep up being on the younger age range. If he is doing well, great, keep with it. If not, then it might be time to consider separating them. But you can make that decision on down the line. God always provides what is needed!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 pm

StephanieU wrote:For my oldest, we just did math, phonics, and handwriting (plus AWANA, etc) for K. Then we started HOD this year. So, I don't think you need to do science for K. There are some science activities in LHTH, and you can always do some nature studies (just go for walks and point out things in nature), plant a garden, go to the zoo, etc to get in science. We also occasionally watch shows like Magic SchoolBus as well as read "random" science books from our library. Something that is of interest to your kids is best.
That sounds great! I like the idea of going off my childs interest. Thank you!

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:24 pm

MelInKansas wrote:I would agree science isn't really "necessary" and is onto exploration at this stage. You could supplement that if you feel you want to, just nature walks, zoo, doing activities outside, sink and float, etc. Find a simple activity book if you need some guidance but keep it hands-on and fun, not book work.

I just replied on your other thread about separating them or doing them together. I think this plan could really work well, as long as the younger one can keep up being on the younger age range. If he is doing well, great, keep with it. If not, then it might be time to consider separating them. But you can make that decision on down the line. God always provides what is needed!
See that is what I am concerned with with my ds2 being on the low end of the age range. These two boys are considerably different in character and seem to learn differently. Im also a little worried that ds1 is going to be bored with lhth. I'm hoping to be able to beef it up enough to keep his interest. I think I can, just thinking outloud :)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 pm

One thing you could always do is get LHFHG in along with LHTH and then decide once you have them. If you are planning to do LHFHG anyway eventually, you try it out and see how it all goes. I know for me, I like having the curriculum because I find my kids like the activities at their level. I eventually plan to split my younger 2 up but that just hasn't happened yet. I have NO idea when it will happen right now too. But I anticipate them only being together for another year at the most. The thing I LOVE about HOD is that it is very doable if you split them up. And they may like it better to be split up.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Nealewill wrote:One thing you could always do is get LHFHG in along with LHTH and then decide once you have them. If you are planning to do LHFHG anyway eventually, you try it out and see how it all goes. I know for me, I like having the curriculum because I find my kids like the activities at their level. I eventually plan to split my younger 2 up but that just hasn't happened yet. I have NO idea when it will happen right now too. But I anticipate them only being together for another year at the most. The thing I LOVE about HOD is that it is very doable if you split them up. And they may like it better to be split up.
Great idea! I really need to see these two guides side by side to make a proper decision. Are you concerned at all about having one child in preparing and one in bigger at the same time?

You all are probably laughing at me for worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet ;) If I'm this wound up about pre school and kindergarten what am I going to be like in the bigger grades?

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm

I would not think too far ahead. I have 4 kids and 3 are stair steps. If I try to make some grand 4 yr plan or even plan through high school...it is going to fall apart at some point or the kids will be at different points of learning or maturity. I would advise you to make your decision based upon the here and now and choose what will work best for your family right now. That may be combining. In 2 years, you may look at them with fresh eyes and bump up the older one or you may start out with them separate and in 2 years combine them. I would just take it a year at a time. I also like to look at the placement chart with fresh eyes at the beginning and end of every year. I have combined 3 kids one year, combined 2 many years, and for the last few years everyone has been working on their own level. It gets much easier as they get more independent to really see each kids level separate from their combined sibling. Anyway, just wanted to say try not to think too far ahead and try to just place based on where they are right now.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Tidbits of Learning wrote:I would not think too far ahead. I have 4 kids and 3 are stair steps. If I try to make some grand 4 yr plan or even plan through high school...it is going to fall apart at some point or the kids will be at different points of learning or maturity. I would advise you to make your decision based upon the here and now and choose what will work best for your family right now. That may be combining. In 2 years, you may look at them with fresh eyes and bump up the older one or you may start out with them separate and in 2 years combine them. I would just take it a year at a time. I also like to look at the placement chart with fresh eyes at the beginning and end of every year. I have combined 3 kids one year, combined 2 many years, and for the last few years everyone has been working on their own level. It gets much easier as they get more independent to really see each kids level separate from their combined sibling. Anyway, just wanted to say try not to think too far ahead and try to just place based on where they are right now.
Thank you so much! To be honest my oldest places in LHFHG and my little one places in LHTH. I just placed an oder this morning and hope to check out each guide more in depth. It just "seems" like it would be easier to combine them this early but like you said it may just be for a season. Who knows what the future holds. I really want my oldest to enjoy school. We are stopping another K curriculum because he just isn't enjoying it anymore. It's more of a chore for him and that is not how I envisioned our school time. So, we need to do something, just trying to figure it all out.