New here!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momxnine

New here!

Post by momxnine » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, then bought CTC and we just finished our first week. So far, so good. :)

I'm an "old" mom just now discovering HOD with my youngest child (son, age 12). I've graduated 6, almost 8 of my children who range in ages from 12 to 33. My last three, all boys, have been quite the challenge. :D I still have two in high school, but they're almost done, so Ben, my 12 year old is last and I wanted to enjoy the last few years with him since he's the only one I have to really think about anymore as far as schooling goes. We've tried everything just about over the last 25 years except HOD. :) We did MFW one year and I got overwhelmed since all three boys were doing different levels of it. We put them all in Paces from School of Tomorrow. It was a great fit for the other two because they could see what they needed to do to be done and just work diligently at it to reach the goal.

However, Ben needed a little more "mom time" instead of just independently working through his paces, so the search was on. I didn't have to look too far. I knew I like MFW, but all the HOD reviews seemed like it was more what I was looking for, so we bit the bullet and bought. I love it! We aren't doing the whole course this year because I wanted him to still do the basics in the Paces, but we're doing History, some science, storytime, bible study and the poetry study.

Ben has picked up lots of bad attitudes about school over the last year and so the first couple of days this week were rough. :( But once he figured out that he was getting lots of "good" attention from me and was enjoying the readings, his whole attitude changed. He even wrote a decent narration for unit 1 about the flood! THAT was a first. lol Tonight he's going to present his poetry reading for the family at the birthday of my 21 year old daughter. He doesn't even like poetry, but I could tell by the end of the week and doing his painting that he was starting to "get it" and even enjoy it. :) There is hope! :D

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say "hi" and tell all of you that I'm enjoying reading past posts and looking forward to other posts.

Blessings,

Vicki in SW. MO. (who needs to come up with an automatic signature....)

8arrows

Re: New here!

Post by 8arrows » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

That is wonderful! One of friends could not get over the fact that my kids did not consider reading "schoolwork". I don't think she believes my answer. Good books are the key, and HOD has tons of them. Enjoy your year! I am an older mom too. I have 2 graduated, but I still have 6 to go. I did not find HOD until a little later as well, so my younger children are reaping the benefits.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Mombeck

Post by Mombeck » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:45 am

Welcome, Vicki!
My 12 year old daughter is also working on Creation to Christ and it has been such a full year! We are doing the extensions, although, along with my daughter's homeschool co-op literature class, it is almost too much. Every book Carrie selected is sooo good! We just don't want to miss out on any of it. ;) I'm getting to be a bit of an old mom myself as my oldest is 25. My youngest is 6 so we are all still tripping on toys around here! :lol:

How does your son like the notebook pages? This is my daughter's first full year with HOD and she just raves about the notebooking. She loves looking through her work as everything comes together.
I pray that your son enjoys CtC and you both find HOD to be the right fit for your family. :D
Rebecca
wife to my dh for 31 years
dd 29 teaching degree
dd 26 college graduate with English degree
ds 20 2 year Associate Arts degree, working to return to college
dd 17 PSEO classes
dd 13 MtMM Fall ‘18
ds 10 Bigger Fall ‘18

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:57 am

Welcome! The guides just keep getting better and better, so you're in for a real treat!
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!