Comprehension? DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
agstefko

Comprehension? DITHOR

Post by agstefko » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 pm

So ds has started Preparing and is doing great with that. We are having a little problem though when it comes to his reading on his own in DITHOR. He can read the books no problem and I've had him read aloud to me and he can answer any question I ask him then. When he reads it on his own though he will read fast and doesn't remember anything he has read, not even the main details of the chapter. Should I continue to have him read aloud to me or maybe bump back to the level 3 books? Thanks :)
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

my3sons

Re: Comprehension? DITHOR

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I am glad you and your ds are enjoying PHFHG! :D As far as your question, when he reads on his own for fun, does he read books more like the 4/5 books, or more like the Level 3 books? If they are books more like the Level 3 books, I'd have him do those. If they are books more like the 4/5 books, I'd ask him to reread the assigned pages and let him know that he is going to need to focus on what he is reading because he will be doing a follow-up skill to show he understood what he read (i.e. discussions, Student Book, etc.). HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 am

He really does read from a wide range of levels, but he prefers non fiction books based on whatever his interest are at the time. Maybe I will bump him back to level 3 books. I love that he is being introduced to other genres of literate, I think part might be just a lack of interest on his part :(
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 pm

I think bumping him back to Level 3 is a good idea. The interest in different genres will grow given time, but he'll probably still always have a favorite. My oldest ds has always loved nonfiction and biographies. His next love is historical fiction. From there, he has learned to like the other genres based on certain things. For example, he loves adventures and fantasies that are based on spiritual warfare - I think because this too parallels real life. Books like "Pilgrim's Progress," "Chronicles of Narnia," "The Hobbit," etc. mirror sin in the world and our triumphant Savior Jesus Christ. He loves those genres because of that - not so much because of the genre itself. Another thing Wyatt has learned to love is clever wit and humor. For this reason, he just read "Pride and Prejudice" (for fun), and enjoyed that realistic fiction genre immensely. Anyway, I guess I am just saying I bet ds will learn to love many genres given time. Just keep moving through DITHOR, and I'd use the book packs. Carrie has an awesome ability to choose simply the best living books! I've appreciated that more and more as the books have gotten longer and longer, and I can't find the time to preread a ton to pick 1 good one. :wink: HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie