Have to ask....why wait to start LHFHG till 1st gr?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

Have to ask....why wait to start LHFHG till 1st gr?

Post by momof3kids » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi all,
I have been thinking about what to do when my second son...now 5...finishes LHTH. I have read many posts on the topic and notice many don't start LHFHG at 5 , but instead wait till 6 for first grade. I have read some think the read alludes are a bit much for a 5yo, but what other reasons do those of you wait? It seems I see some doing MFW K before LHFHG....why is this? this past year was our first year so still learning. I did not teach K to my older as he was in ps at that time....so this is new to me. We are enjoying HOD so much, would like to have some sort of plan worked out for next year ...I am also expecting a new little one in September.
We will prob finish LHTH around May....appreciate any thoughts or advice :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

gardenmama28

Re: Have to ask....why wait to start LHFHG till 1st gr?

Post by gardenmama28 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 pm

The main reason I started LHFHG in grade 1 was due to my child's placement on the placement chart. I don't think that the activites are too hard for a 5 year old. The main thing would be if your child is able to listen to you read several pages at a time with no pictures to look at. The thornton burgess read alouds have 2-4 pages per chapter and very few pictures. My kids LOVE them, but they were already used to sitting through books without pictures. The history read aloud portions have at least a page to read, some with pictures, some without.

Prior to LHFHG we hadn't done any phonics instruction and very little handwriting instruction. So my daughter needed time to develop those skills before tackling beyond. If you have already finished LHTH your child may be ready to do LHFHG with the kindergarten options (Phonics instruction, handwriting and math). Probably the best thing to do is take a look at the placement chart and make sure your child is developmentally ready for LHFHG.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:34 pm

I agree that if you have done LHTH and your child places into LHFHG for K, then there is no problem starting there. The thing you will have to remember is that it is okay to not go full speed periodically to mature both in writing and intellectually. Many families find they need to slow down around Bigger or Preparing because they are "harder" guides for younger ages. So, for people like me that tend to push my kids (sometimes too much), I went with LHFHG for 1st for my oldest. But, my youngest will do it for K probably with her brother. But I already "penciled in" having her go half speed once we get to Preparing so I remember to not push too hard.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Ohh...forgot to mention we school 4days a week, and it has worked well this year. So I know that will naturally spread out the guides some. Another reason I am thinking of going straight into LHFHG......
8 yo ds- Bigger

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that we went straight from LHTH to LHFHG and my DS had just turned 5. We also school 4 days a week (we have a co-op on the 5th day). It's worked out fine and he truly loves LHFHG. I agree, check the placement chart. If he's ready, go for it, but don't be afraid to slow down if needed. :-D

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:47 pm

We started LHFHG in K but didn't do it every day but did always do math and reading. We are finishing up in first grade. From what I've noticed my kids tend to be ready to move up a guide around the middle of the school year, so it really depends on the kids :)
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:24 pm

We've always gone right into Little Hearts for His Glory when our dc were 5 yo after completing Little Hands to Heaven and loved it! We too school 4 days a week, and this naturally spreads out Little Hearts, Beyond Little Hearts, and Bigger Hearts. It is easy to go to half-speed if at any point that pacing becomes desirable! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

lovemygirls

Post by lovemygirls » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 pm

I was in the same situation with my dd and had a hard time deciding what to do. I finally decided to go with LHFHG for Kindy and am so glad I did. I think it comes down to every child is different and for some it would be too much for Kindy and for others it's just right. If he places in little hearts I would just go for it and take it as slow as needed. I love how easy it is to slow down or speed up according to the child's needs.

My dd surprised me and was more than ready for full speed and we kept it up for a while but due to some circumstances recently I'm only schooling HOD about 3-4 times a week lately (except for the 3'Rs which is done 4-5 days) and I'm so glad that I have the extra wiggle room and we may end up going into 1st grade with little hearts anyway.

Personally I would go ahead and move into Little hearts since he will be coming in from LHTH and just start with half speed for a while.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Everyone has a different situation. A friend's son wasn't ready until first grade, while my son was ready at Kindergarten. They are the same age.

I plan to start my dd on it next month, very slowly. She is finishing LHTH, but isn't quite ready for LHFHG maturity wise. I don't want to lose what she has learned, so 2 days of plans stretched out over the week will be perfect for her. I also like having the extra time built in for when life gets in the way.

If your child is ready, the go ahead and start them! Especially since you will probably have to go slower, or maybe even pause altogether, when your new baby arrives.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:21 pm

I checked the placement chart again to be sure, and I think he does place in LHFHG. Especially by the time we are finished with LHTH Ina few months. I don't really want to try and figure out a different program....I showed him the catalog and he is excited to have his own books for K (plus the cover is red..which is his favorite color...so decision made!)
The wiggle room does sound good too with changes coming in our family. He likes to be read to a lot, and sits pretty still...for a few minutes :D . I am so glad to have found HOD and this board. It has really made our first year hs' ing enjoyable, and doable for me.
I think, hope we will have a good year next year doing LHFHG and Bigger....and want to start sis in LHTH after the baby gets here. She will be 3, and thought we would go through it slowly....or possibly twice....if I can manage it all! Can I run 3 guides...?....with a new baby?? :? ...good Lord willing....
8 yo ds- Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:44 pm

momof3kids wrote:I checked the placement chart again to be sure, and I think he does place in LHFHG. Especially by the time we are finished with LHTH Ina few months. I don't really want to try and figure out a different program....I showed him the catalog and he is excited to have his own books for K (plus the cover is red..which is his favorite color...so decision made!)
The wiggle room does sound good too with changes coming in our family. He likes to be read to a lot, and sits pretty still...for a few minutes :D . I am so glad to have found HOD and this board. It has really made our first year hs' ing enjoyable, and doable for me.
I think, hope we will have a good year next year doing LHFHG and Bigger....and want to start sis in LHTH after the baby gets here. She will be 3, and thought we would go through it slowly....or possibly twice....if I can manage it all! Can I run 3 guides...?....with a new baby?? :? ...good Lord willing....
Sounds like a good plan! Yes - half-speed LHTH, LHFHG, and Bigger Hearts - totally doable - even with a baby! :D :D :D Remember, you can always go half-speed with 5 yo in LHFHG at any time if need be! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie