narration challenges

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
montanamom

narration challenges

Post by montanamom » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:27 pm

My dd9 is currently on wk 23 of PHFHG and besides narration, she seems to be handling the workload and independence well. She has been through all the HOD guides from LHFHG on up. Even back then she struggled with narrating for the Burgess stories, but seemed to improve and did well in Beyond. Then with Bigger, she struggled with narrating for the history readings for the first 10-11 wks, which I assumed was her getting used to Egglestons writing style. However, now in Preparing she is having a hard time giving good narrations for most of the history readings that I do, the independent history readings, and even the science. To improve her narrations, she has requested to narrate immediately (waiting even 5 min seems to cause her forget certain readings), asks to look at the book while narrating and even requested once to take notes while I read. Interestingly, she does well on her written narrations; however, I have attributed that to the fact that she gets to re-read the passage on her own after I read it to her, she answers questions about the passage and that she writes it immediately.

My question is whether this is just something that will improve as she gets older or if it is a sign that she isn't fully comprehending the material even though she seems to otherwise be 'handling the workload' well. If it is a problem, would more practice narrating help? If so, should I 'slow down' now and focus on narrating after every reading or wait and slow down with the next guide?

Pam
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.

Daisy

Re: narration challenges

Post by Daisy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Maybe she would do better to read the books on her own? My daughter has always done better at narration when SHE reads the book versus when it is read to her.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

montanamom

Post by montanamom » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Daisy wrote:Maybe she would do better to read the books on her own?
I've wondered this too for the main history reading, but she's also struggling with the independent history and science narrations which she does read on her own ... :?

Pam
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.

momofabcd

Post by momofabcd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:57 am

I could have written your post right down to the last period. We are on week 14 in Preparing and my dd has the exact same oral narrating problem. I mean exactly the same! She handles the work load very well and writes excellent narrations. But, like you, I also think it is because she gets to re-read, answer questions and write immediately. I have really struggled with how to help her in this area, but feel a little better that we are not alone. I welcome any advice that can be offered.
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi montanamom! Narration truly is a skill that takes time to build. I know with each of our sons we have hit different 'roadblocks' in their narrating. For my oldest ds, he was good at summary-style narrations, but lacked any creativity or 'storytelling' quality to his narrating. He was my 'just the facts ma'am' narrator for many, many years! He also did not use specific characters' names and places in his narrating. He is now in HOD's WG guide and an excellent oral narrator and written narrator! But it took every year in HOD, with every teaching help they gave me, with every kind of narrating they had him practice, to get him where he is today. :D

For my middle ds, he started every sentence (and I mean EVERY sentence) with "And then...". I do believe just this year we have licked that habit! :D He also narrates extremely choppily, pausing at odd places. We are working on this, as you can see by what I've shared in my recent HOD Weekly Check-in's. :wink: My middle ds also struggles with when to be 'general' and when to be 'specific' in his writing. This is in his written narrations, as well as in his research postcard (for RTR), and as well as in his DITHOR Student Workbook answers. He tends to give broad, over-reaching statements that would fit for anything, as opposed to detailed writing that shows he actually understood and connected with what he read. We have been working on this since last year in CTC, and just now I am seeing really progress in this. HOD's RTR's Medieval Based Writing lessons is helping with this as well.

That brings me to my last little honey, in Beyond right now. He simply likes to give very short narrations that largely have much to do with what I just finished reading, and less to do with what I read at the start or in the middle. You can read about my progress with him in this in the HOD Weekly Check-In's too! :D Anyway, I share all this to say that narration is a process that is best approached in an encouraging manner by giving ample compliments and focusing on ONE thing to work on each time. The helps in the HOD guides and the HOD appendices are wonderful! I use them often. :D

In general, I'd suggest having dd narrate on shorter sections, but cheerfully accept her narrations, giving several compliments and choosing one thing for her to work on. I'd also let her narrate immediately upon finishing her reading. I do let my dc 'prepare for their narrations' by looking back at the first sentence or the headings for a minute or so. This helps them 'rewind' to the beginning. She will improve! :D We have had times with little improvement, followed by times of sudden big improvement when it comes to narration! I just want to encourage you to keep at it!!! :D It is worth every minute you spend doing it - my ds in high school if flourishing in many ways due to all of his previous practice with oral and written narrations in HOD. So worth the time!!!! :D :D :D

Also, here are some past threads that I hope will help...

Narration Discussion and Examples:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8118&p=60893#p60893

Narration Help – Shortening sections narrated upon, and using 3 fingers’ method…
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10436&p=75955

Philosophy Behind Narration Skills:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8918

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie