HOD vs. MFW? Why did you choose HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mshanson3121

HOD vs. MFW? Why did you choose HOD?

Post by mshanson3121 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 pm

For those who considered MFW and HOD... why did you pick HOD over MFW?

StephanieU

Re: HOD vs. MFW? Why did you choose HOD?

Post by StephanieU » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:17 pm

I found HOD after considering MFW. The two things I didn't like about MFW were the price (for the younger grades) and that math and phonics were tied to everything again in the younger grades. I love the freedom HOD offeres for math and reading/phonics.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:19 pm

For me personally I like only seeing 1 days worth of plans at a time. It helps me focus on what we need to do that day. Using a schedule with the whole week in front of me sometimes could get overwhelming especially if I hadn't checked one of my boxes, HOD is a little more forgiving in that aspect :) Also, HOD you can buy your readers and read alouds. I tried using the library for all those a few years ago and it got to be a little overwhelming because not everything would be there when I needed it. I've never used MFW, but absolutely love HOD and truthfully everything that is scheduled so far, the philosophy behind the choices, and the progression of levels is how I would choose to create a curriculum if I had the talen to do it :)
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Well, I started out eclectic for a few years, did MFW last year and found HOD this year. I must say there were several reasons I switched to HOD and plan to stay.

1. I really like the lesson plan book. I love the fact that everything is 100% planned out for me. With MFW, there was a weekly schedule and it is good. But I like all of the discussion questions written in the guide that HOD offers.
2. I like the sequence of progression on the skills built by guide and the vast variety of vendors. I like that they use so many vendors to teach different stuff. For example, MFW uses primarily writing strands for writing. With HOD, they use 3 different vendors for writing in the Middle School years along with written narration. For history, MFW primarily used Story of the World in 3 of their 5 yearly cycles. With HOD, they use Diana Warring but then other vendors such as the Mystery of History, Story of the World and other major vendors for history as well.
3. I like that the students become more independent in Preparing and then gain independence in future levels each year. With MFW, they aren't as independent until 9th grade and from other parents stories they have shared (not MFW necessarily, just in general), it can be culture shock on kids to become so independent so late in school. My oldest dd is doing Preparing this year and is loving this new found independence.
4. I LOVE the books! They are just awesome in HOD. There are some books that overlap between MFW and HOD in some ways (honestly, most of the fantastic books in HOD overlap most of the major vendors in some ways because honestly, they are just fantastic) but the books that specifically brought me to HOD was the science and Drawn into the Heart of Reading. I was personally not a fan of the books chosen by MFW for science. That is just me. I love the books used for science with HOD. And I also do not particularly love the Progency Press studies and MFW uses them as well. I love the lit studies done by HOD because they can be done with any books and span multi age more seamlessly. And MFW doesn't do formal lit studies until 7th grade. I wanted to do them sooner and HOD starts in Bigger with these Lit Studies.
5. HOD is much more my teacher style than MFW. I like the way they teach grammar more than with MFW. I like the writing development more as well. I love that my kids are separated. I actually didn't discover HOD until last October. So I had actually started my year off with MFW (I am not try to trash them as a company either but you asked for opinions so I am just sharing my story) and it was a terrible fit this year. My oldest was ready for more challenging stuff and I felt like MFW wasn't really challenging her. I also found my other 2 were just disruptive and not getting anything out of it. My oldest and younger 2 were on opposite ends of the spectrum in levels and abilities. They should never have been matched up for school for science and history. I also like that with HOD, you are analyzing everything you read where as with MFW it was up to me to direct my own analysis (lit is not my forte so I have no business coming up with my own script LOL).
6. I think HOD digs a lot deeper than MFW. Seems like MFW would give more of an overview and it was up to you as the parent to dig as deep as you want. HOD will give you the deep and helps the kids dig deep on their own because it is already written in the guide. Just an example - I am doing Beyond this year. Last year I did do MFW Adventures with my kids and we had read the American Pioneers and Patriots book cover to cover. Well, we are about half way through Beyond and it gives a lot of info on the Pilgrims by using 2 other books all about the Pilgrims. Well, because we had read the other 2 books about the Pilgrims, things happening in the American Pioneers and Patriots book make more sense. For example, I don't really remember learning so much about what happened to the Pilgrims in England or that they lived in Denmark for period or that there were originally 2 boats scheduled to come to America with them but only 1 made it. But I know all of that now because we are doing the level Beyond with HOD. I feel like my kids just have this running script in their minds and they now have a complete story that they can actually recall. In addition, I think HOD covers a lot more information than MFW. My husband was commenting to me how he can't believe how much stuff we are covering and that we are actually getting through it successfully. I also am amazed myself. I know that if left to myself, there is no way we would cover so much information. And my kids are actually remembering it. With MFW, my husband would come home from work and ask the kids what they did in school. They would say, "I don't know." Now, they are meeting him at the door telling him something interesting without being prompted. So I love the volume and the depth.

So I guess all in all, HOD is just more my teaching style and my kids learning style. I probably could think of more but in general, I love pretty much everything about HOD. It is truly a wonderful curriculum and my kids and hubby love it too.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Jonibee

Post by Jonibee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 am

Your question is why did I pick HOD over MFW? So the first part of my answer is after having used MFW and having looked at (and owned) several of their guides, but before having used HOD. Because you want to know why I PICKED HOD.

I chose HOD because MFW did not schedule out the Language Arts. The LA is very weak in MFW. There is no weekly, incremental instruction and I wanted that. I liked the progression of writing materials that HOD offers. I am not necessarily fond of coloring pages for notebooking, and I was very attracted to the notebooks that are created in HOD.

In the sample HOD weeks I was able to print -- I loved the one day layout. I appreciate the codes T-S-I because they indicate to the student -- and I would be able to emphasize to my own -- "Look, you should be able to do this box all on your own because it has an "I" here."

I picked HOD because it would save me from having to go to the library -- and trying to find books -- and overdue fines. :D

I picked HOD because my husband was tired of me changing my mind all the time and finally said, just do it already and don't look back! And I did. And I don't. :mrgreen:

Now that I have used 2 levels of HOD since September (CtC and WG), I can say that the LA progression is a hands-down winner for me. It's not just the "LA" box. It's the weekly book summary, and the Bible verses in cursive, and the weekly timeline entries, etc. the LA is woven throughout and I see how that might seem like less "LA" to a student, but it's still there, just spread out. MFW does not have that.

I also really appreciate the history resources being at just the right level for the student to engage interest. My kids are able to read everything and process everything on their own, and then just narrate back to me what they have studied. I like that there are audio CDs and visual DVDs added within the packages -- and they are resources that last all year.

There is probably more -- did I say I LOVE the notebooks? And owning all the books necessary? And in CtC, I love the painting/poetry combo. Who'd have thought? And the world geography is just a fabulous combination of books/resources!! Most of all, MFW seemed like I was the one orchestrating the day for my students, and with HOD they are maneuvering themselves through the guides with my assistance. It's a very freeing difference. :D
Joan

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 am

I'm an eclectic homeschooler. I've used MFW, HOD, Beautiful Feet, Classical methods, and my own plans.

What has me returning time and again to HOD for one child or the other is the book selections. They are high interest, age-appropriate, "living", and in line with my educational philosophy & religious beliefs.

I also really appreciate the fact that HOD makes an effort to address a variety of learning styles. The addition of projects, audio/visual resources, notebooking, drawing, and other types of resources make it less necessary for me to modify guides for my children.

Lastly, I appreciate that Carrie interweaves the schedule in such a way that all those little extras gets covered without overwhelming the child. We have art study, music, Bible memorization, and all the other things that often fall by the wayside when you are trying to integrate too many resources. The guides are worth their weight in gold for that reason alone.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:24 pm

I love the day by day layout and details that are in the HOD TM. I did not like the weekly grid format of MFW or how vague the TM was at times. For example during a unit in kindergarten you are studying about ants and the instructions are to "Present information about ants". Thats it. Its up to you to find the info and teach it. I knew right then that MFW was not for me. HOD not only tells you what to say or instructs you were to find such information, they even have a key idea written out that emphasizes the importance of what has just been studied. We are using LHTH and LHFHG this year and I am so pleased. Such an AMAZING Curriculum. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it :)
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

heidip2p

Post by heidip2p » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:05 pm

I stayed away from HOD at first because I didn't see how it could work with a large family. I kept trying to make MFW work year after year. I love MFW and think it is a fantastic program. However, it wasn't the right fit for us. Little by little we have moved all of our kids to HOD. We are loving it. Loving it! It is hard work but we are getting so much school done. Now I think HOD makes it much easier when trying to teach multiple kids.

I love having a daily plan to follow. I love that all the info I need is right within each box. I don't have to go looking through the TM. It is so easy to navigate. I also love having all of the books we need right on our shelves. The book basket is great but a lot for me to keep up with.
Last edited by heidip2p on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi momma to 8

gardenmama28

Post by gardenmama28 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm

I have never used MFW so I can only say why I chose HOD. When I was choosing what curriculum to use for my daughter's grade 1, I was looking at both MFW and HOD. I chose HOD (LHFHG) because I liked the flexibility of being able to either use the recommended programs for math and phonics, or using my own, (compared to MFW which is all integrated). I am not a very creative person and I love having all the activities planned out for me. I love how I can just open up and go I love love love the living books selections in the HOD curriculum. Many of the options that HOD recommended, I was already wanting to use(Rod and Staff workbooks, A reason for handwriting, etc).

Of course many people also like MFW - I am sure they are both great and you just need to pick what you think will suit your family and teaching style the best.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 pm

As you consider what is best for your family, here are a few links that may help...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1446

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6485

May the Lord lead you to the best decision for your family!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie