But Don't All Religions Lead to God?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

But Don't All Religions Lead to God?

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:01 pm

Today, I received an email from a customer asking about a book in our World Geography curriculum entitled "But Don't All Religions Lead to God?" After answering the email, I thought that all of you might benefit from the chance to read my reply too. :D

The customer's main question was a concern that in "But Don't All Religions Lead to God?" the author "strays from the orthodox view of the necessity of salvation towards the end of the book by advocating the position that those who do not hear the Gospel will be saved."

Here is my response to the email: :D

I am aware that the book "But Don't All Religions Lead to God?" has some interesting phrasing and thoughts shared within its pages (that I don't completely agree with). In our initial sneak peek about the book in 2013, I shared the following:
"Keep in mind that not all of these resources are perfect, as the only perfect book is God's Word, and there will be some notes in the guide of a few places to discuss possible differences with your children. Yet, overall each resource is truly excellent for the role it will play in this course. "
It is also important to note that this book is not used alone, but rather plays one role among the many books that are used to comprise the World Religion & Culture's study. To address your question in particular, I will share that within the World Geography guide, we definitely address the areas in the book "But Don't All Religions Lead to God? to watch for.

On Unit 3 - Day 1 of our plans after students have read the passage to which you are referring, the plans say...
"
After reading, open your World Religion and Culture's Notebook to Unit 3. Box 1 contains 6 questions from Chapter 9. These are excellent questions to discuss, and it's good to know that you may not agree with everything the author said in response to these questions. This is why it is important to go to God's Word for answers. in preparation for your discussion, answer each question in Box 1. Then, meet with a parent to discuss the questions. During the discussion, take special note of questions 4-5 and the confusing nature of the text on p. 80-82 in answering these questions. As part of question 4, refer to Luke 16:19-31. (The reason for this being that the author mentions some views that hell may not be unending toment) As part of question 5, refer to Hebrews 11:1-12:3, Romans 1:20-21, and John 8:56-58."
For your reference, the 6 questions in the World Religion & Culture's Notebook are as follows:
1. Is there any sense in which all religions have a common core? (p. 76)
2. How should Christians behave toward those of other faiths? (p. 76-77)
3. How should Christians regard other religions? (p 77-79)
4. What is the situation of people who do not respond to the Gospel? (p. 79-80)
5. What about those who have never heard about Jesus? (p. 81-82)
6. Should Christians try to convert members of other faiths? (p. 82-83)
As you see above, the topics you mentioned are fully addressed in the World Geography Guide's plans, both through assigned discussion with the parent (with the resource and page numbers noted in hand) and by going to the only perfect source, God's Holy Word. Students are also directed where to look at specific passages within God's Word to help them know what God's reply is to questions like these. It is also important to remember that this guide is directed at high school age students, who definitely need to grapple with these difficult types of questions about faith and eternity and for them to know that God's Word holds the answers. :D

It's interesting that the book that students will be reading shortly after completing the book "But Don't All Religions Lead to God?" shares the life of Mimosa, a Hindu woman who as a child had a very brief time with missionaries at Amy Charmichael's orphanage. Mimosa only had time to learn that there was one living God who loved her as a Father and ruled over all before being taken back home by her father. Yet, armed with that little bit of knowledge, Mimosa's life was changed. She prayed to the one, true God. She could feel what He wanted her to do, and what He did not want her to do. She rejected the Hindu god Shiva and went against her culture, since she felt it would displease the one true God.

She lived her life in this manner until she was one day reunited with her sister at Amy Charmichael's orphanage. Mimosa was a grown woman then who had endured much in her quest to worship the one true God who loved her. She had lived a changed life based on her faith, and God worked within her life. She did eventually learn about Jesus and was baptized, but her story does bring to mind the questions, "What if Mimosa had died without knowing Jesus' name? What would God have done with Mimosa?" I share this not because I have any doubts that belief in Jesus is the only way to heaven and that there is no way unto the Father but through the Son (and it is obvious that God designed Mimosa's life so she would know Jesus before she died); but I also share Mimosa's story to remind us that we cannot understand all of the complexities of God or presume to sit in judgement as God will one day do. We know that God's Word is true, and it is this type of discussion that needs to be had with our children. :D

I am so glad that I had this discussion with my own sons, and I am so thankful that the guide gave me the opportunity to talk about important topics like these with my boys! I believe that the home is a safe environment in which to discuss topics like these with our children in preparation to face these same questions again one day, whether it be with an atheist on a college campus, with a nonbeliever in the work place, or with a fellow believer at a church gathering. Our children can never be too prepared to defend their faith and to articulate their beliefs. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Molly

Re: But Don't All Religions Lead to God?

Post by Molly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Wow Carrie. This is exactly why the Lord led me to HOD. It is the fact that as my children grow they will be learning about their place in the world and where their foundation is. I certainly would not be able to provide this to my children without HOD. I am so thankful that the Lord laid this important ministry on your heart, and that He sustains you through it all.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:41 pm

Thank you, Carrie. I appreciate a heads up on issues like this that will require discussion and am glad you provided the students with the necessary tools (Scripture) to come to a biblical answer. I'm glad you don't shy away from addressing them. These are the kinds of questions our soon-to-be adult children are going to face in the grown up world. We want to raise up Bereans who test everything against God's Word.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 pm

We had great discussions on that day. :) my son came to me and said, "Mom, I'm pretty sure we don't agree with this guy. I don't want to read this book anymore!!" (he is very black and white.) I read the passage and the directions from Carrie, and it really sprung a great discussion about what we believe and why we believe it.

I'm really loving this guide and the meeting time we have each day with it. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH