Grading work?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
WellsSchool

Grading work?

Post by WellsSchool » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Yikes...the high school years are approaching quickly. I've looked through a few posts and think I'm starting to "get" how transcripts are handled, but how do you "do" grades? I'm afraid I will waver between being too strict and too lenient. I have trouble maintaining a balance.

For instance, even now as I correct my children's writing (my boys are 13 and 11), I wonder if I'm letting too many grammatical errors slide by or if I'm killing their spirit by marking up their papers too much. (I was an English professor's teaching assistant in college and red ink flows from my pen easily!)

Thank you for any suggestions you may offer regarding either one of these questions.

Nealewill

Re: Grading work?

Post by Nealewill » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 pm

A friend of mine has children approximately your kids same age. She told me she only marks up 2 things on each child's paper. It could be for grammar or spelling. But in general, she said she just marks up 2 things. Not sure how others do it but I kind of like that rule of thumb. I want to help my kids but not completely shut them down. So I like the thought of 2 things.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Re: Grading work?

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:45 pm

HOD has awesome ideas for grading the WG guide! Just scroll down to see them at this link...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/wg-overview.pdf

Homeschooling is different in the regard that work is not accepted until it is done right (at least that's my approach). :D Having one student or even a handful of students in homeschooling, affords us the time as homeschool teachers to stay on top of dc's work enough to expect it to be done to an "A" level. I am grading logic, science, and math formally for WG. For the rest, I am not accepting work until it is at the "A" level. We do every single part of the WG guide, including every follow-up and assessment. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie