Another week and so content:)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

Another week and so content:)

Post by psreit » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 am

I just have to say that, although we are just into the second unit in Preparing, I am so relaxed and content being back here. :D When we had used HOD in the past, I felt like I needed to rush to get the guide done in one school year. That took some of the joy out of it, and didn't give Angie time to really internalize all she was being taught. She balked a little when I told her we were going to be using HOD again. She just remembers our previous HOD years as times of frustration, because of her math and reading issues. I told her that the frustrations were not because of HOD. So, we are 'back in the saddle' and I believe Preparing is going to prove to be an exciting guide. :D We are taking our time by doing 3 HOD days a week. Angie is loving the Ice Age book and the Noah's Ark book. She begs to read more, and persists. But, she does need to develop patience, so I do not give in. :wink: And, she is doing the writing assignments without TOO much hesitation. :shock: Overall, our days are going quite well, and I really believe this is going to be a huge growing time for Angie, cognitively and spiritually. :D I am so glad we didn't wait until August to begin. :D :D :D :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

momtofive

Re: Another week and so content:)

Post by momtofive » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:44 am

So happy that things are going so well for you and Angie! Isn't that what makes all the difference. . . .contentment? I know when I'm content with things, they kids do much, much better in their studies, and learning is fun again! ;)

Enjoy your trip through Preparing, Pam! We're enjoying it with our 10 year old this year, too! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Love it!!! :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Congrats and I am so happy with you that you are at peace. I too had to come to peace with perhaps not always finishing the guide in a year (and I do not even have learning difficulties to deal with in that, just life!) And I think peace is often an indicator of God's will and His favor on what you are doing. He guides, and then He gives His perfect peace over where you land.

Thanks for sharing! I too feel that Preparing is going to be a wonderful year for my DD.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Mamamindy

Post by Mamamindy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:28 pm

That is good to hear! Homeschooling should be a blessing and source of joy in our families. I am so glad to hear you are finding that! :)
Mindy ~ Christ follower, wife, mom to 5, homesteader
DD (18) Graduated! Off to Bible College
DD (17) Eclectic curriculum
DS (12) Ressurection to Reformation
DS (10) Preparing Hearts
DS (9) Preparing Hearts

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:53 pm

I'm glad that it's going well for you guys! We are now on our 4th week I think and still loving it as well. Our days are so much smoother and more peaceful. I love it so much and am so glad that we found our way back to HOD!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:59 pm

I started this thread before our school day started. Angie enjoyed the readings today. But, she had a harder time with the basics, because we got a couple inches of snow this morning. I had a difficult time keeping her focused. :shock: We were working on some vocabulary words and then I was going to let her go out. Her attitude was not good, so when we finished, I told her she needed to sit in the chair for 10 minutes, just to let her know that I will not tolerate a bad attitude. When the timer went off, I said she could get dressed to go outside. She said she liked it where she was (she was just sitting and looking out the sliding door). I said "Suit yourself". She was soon up and going outside. :wink: I was waiting for the snow to stop to go outside, because I needed to clean the driveway. I should have just let her go out while it was snowing. I would have saved myself some grief. :roll: I'll know better next time. :? We spent over an hour outdoors. So refreshing! :D I really want Preparing to be a stretching time for her. I know she can do more than she lets on. I just need to keep her focused, which is so hard sometimes. Having HOD will definitely help her learn to work hard. A definite plan and routine. :D :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Samuel'sMommy wrote:I know she can do more than she lets on. I just need to keep her focused, which is so hard sometimes.
I think this applies to all children. Your comment was very applicable to our home as well today! I also think you made some great, calm discipline decisions today.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.