Optional Teacher's Manual Singapore Math Level 5A through 6B

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nealewill

Optional Teacher's Manual Singapore Math Level 5A through 6B

Post by Nealewill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:41 am

For those of you who use Singapore, do you find that you use the optional teacher's guide for levels 5A through 6B? I currently use RightStart Math and am finishing up the last level of elementary math right now. I am thinking about doing levels 5A-6B before moving my oldest dd into pre-algebra. I noticed that HOD doesn't even have optional teacher guides for the other levels. I would say over half of the topics in these levels she has already covered with RightStart and that RightStart teaches math similarly to Singapore. I am just looking at Singapore because I think my dd is a bit young to put into pre-algebra and want to give her brain a little bit more time to develop. So I was wondering how necessary the teacher's manuals are.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Nealewill

Re: Optional Teacher's Manual Singapore Math Level 5A throug

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:41 am

any help from any one who uses this?
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:46 am

I'm curious too, as we'll be heading into 5A/5B with my second ds soon. ;)

My oldest didn't do Singapore, so this is my first venture at teaching those levels.
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 pm

If you are talking about the Home Instructor's Guides then yes I have them for SM 2a and up. They are very helpful for correcting work and when I need some extra help explaining the problems. I would definitely get them for those grade levels. :)
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 pm

I felt I needed them 5B and on. 5A probably would have been helpful as well. I did not feel like I needed them before that.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 pm

I will say I am wishing for the keys for 3A even. It is sometimes tedious to have to work the problems out myself in order to grade work. :shock:

You would want the textbooks for sure. The Home Instructor Guides might give you some teaching ideas, as the textbooks really race right through it.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:03 pm

8arrows wrote:I felt I needed them 5B and on. 5A probably would have been helpful as well. I did not feel like I needed them before that.
This is what we found as well. :D Prior to this, we were fine without them. I basically used the HIG as an answer key for the Reviews and Practices. They are more detailed than the other answer keys, which simply provide the answer. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:40 pm

We used the Home Instructor's Guides only to refer to when we were stuck. I did not teach from the guide but continued to teach from the textbook. I believe I used 5A Home Instructor's Guide once and 5B a couple of times. We referred to 6A and 6B guides a bit more than that but not terribly often. I was grateful to refer to them when we needed them. I did use the Home Instructor's guides for 5A on up as my answer key too. It was nice to have more fully worked solutions. :D

We carry the Home Instructor's guides for 5A, 5B, 6A, and 6B (as these seem to be the levels at which they become more helpful). The Teacher's Manual is not needed at any level, as it is very classroom oriented.

On a sidenote, to the momma who is working out the problems in order to correct them, we do carry the answer keys for 1A-3B in one booklet (or on any packages pages in the math area): :D
http://www.heartofdakota.com/BHFHG-math.php
The answer keys for 4A-6B in one booklet can be found here (or on any packages page in the math area): :D
http://www.heartofdakota.com/preparing- ... ckages.php

Blessings,
Carrie

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Thank you very much both Julie and Carrie. My husband says I love to spend him money LOL so I will probably purchase the teacher guides. I do like having a script available if I need it. And actually the only reason I asked about the teacher guides for Level 5A through 6B was because you do carry them. My oldest is switching from RightStart to Singapore for next year and she will either be at level 4B or 5A. So I noticed that you didn't carry the level 4B teacher guide and was kind of wondering why you only carried the level 5 and 6 teacher guides only. So this makes a lot of sense.

Thanks so much.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks Julie and Carrie for chiming in! I will probably buy the 4A- answer keys but I really CAN check over the 3A/3B stuff myself just sometimes I would rather not. :D
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:20 pm

MelInKansas wrote:...I really CAN check over the 3A/3B stuff myself just sometimes I would rather not. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: So true! I'd rather not either. Of all the many things to accomplish in my day, a little unnecessary mental math each day could put me over. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that confession! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie