Our first day in Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

Our first day in Preparing

Post by psreit » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Well, it was good. :) I tried to keep it low key, so I wouldn't overwhelm Angie. Her attitude was good for the most part. I think where the attitude went a little sour was when she went to do her math. It wasn't really anything hard for her, just doing subtraction problems, nothing new. :? She was trying to do her math on a lap desk sitting on the couch which ended up not being very comfortable, so when the complaining started, I had her go to the dining room table. But first, I made her do some stretches to loosen up. :shock: She was not too thrilled about that and, after doing them for a little while half-heartedly, finally said she was going to do her math. :lol:

Other than the math, Angie did the Preparing work with a pretty good attitude. She is reading the remainder of the ER books we didn't finish last year. I found a copy of the Beginner's Bible and have her reading that, since she did the other one when she first started the ER's. I gave her a certain amount to read and she ended up reading more, and begged to read more, but I said we needed to get other work done. :) I'm really pleased with her reading. At first, she said she did not want to make a shield. But, I told her she WAS going to make one. Once we got started, she got a little more excited about it. She saw some pictures of shields online, and immediately pointed to one and said, "I want one like that!". It was purple, so I said she could make hers purple. :) Then we were talking about different symbols for the coat of arms, and she had fun making choices for that. I think she will really enjoy hearing the stories from Grandpa's Box, just by her reaction when I finished the first chapter. :D She even traced the map for science in the arctic tundra book! :D This is definitely improvement and showing more confidence. :D

I was going to go half speed, but before we even started this morning, I decided to do three days each week, in between half and full speed. After doing our first day, I think Angie can handle that. We didn't get the Independent History box done today, and we didn't get the science notebook done, plus a little coloring and cutting for the coat of arms. I think that is good for the first day. :D Three days/week will work out fine. Maybe in the fall we will try full speed. Will decide that when the time comes. I am so happy to have everything written out for me, terrific books chosen, and wonderful things to teach my daughter. Thank you Carrie! Looking forward to tomorrow. :D :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

MelInKansas

Re: Our first day in Preparing

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Hooray! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like overall it went very well. I am sure you both will love Preparing, and hoping that she will learn and grow and be encouraged through the process.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

That sounds like a great start to PHFHG! I like your plan to do 3 days a week and go full-speed if she needs more. That sounds like a great pace to ease Angie into learning how to do each of the boxes of plans well. I bet that was pretty exciting to hear her begging to read more! Especially since it was the Bible she was begging to read more of! I'm so glad your first day together was a joyous one. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:10 am

We are finishing up day 4 today. I can tell this will be a wonderful guide to help Angie in many different skills, and also exciting because of what we have already read. We started reading The True Story of Noah's Ark yesterday. Angie begged and begged for me to read more of that book. :D I know it is because of the large illustrations in the book. She learns best by pictures, so that makes the story come even more alive. She enjoys a lot of books without pictures, but this one really made an impact with the pictures.

I believe 3 days is going to be the best fit for at least the rest of this year. Tomorrow Angie gets her braces off, so I am giving her the day off. We will only work on 2 HOD days this week. I was going to try to squeeze in three, but it will be too much. I want to take this guide at a pace where Angie will have time to really 'take it all in'. Looking forward to a great Preparing year! :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:49 pm

Glad that everything is going well for you guys! Sounds like she is having fun!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!