TRL Lesson 11....Help!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
nena3927

TRL Lesson 11....Help!

Post by nena3927 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:49 pm

My ds has just started lesson 11 in The Reading Lesson and I'm finding problems with the new word lists. We do not say "oo" as in moon and room the same way as the "oo" in
look and good. It was very confusing to him as he sounded out the words and I had to correct on him on several of the words because we just do not pronounce them the same way the book suggests. Did you have this issue? What did you do? I thought about putting a line or symbol or something over the words that make the different "oo" sound or just letting him learn them as sight words (although I hate to do that). Any help appreciated! Thank you.
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: TRL Lesson 11....Help!

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Nena,

We had a similar experience when we got to this lesson, and I agree that it makes sense at first to put a line or symbol over the 'oo' to delineate the sound it is making. However, as you progress, your child will learn to try both sounds that 'oo' makes and will no longer need the markings to help. This works similarly to the way The Reading Lesson uses symbols/coding for other sounds/sound combinations at first and then gently eases away from the symbols/coding. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Ok Carrie that's what I'll do to help my ds for right now. Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply :)
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 am

Oooooh! We had the same problem. I wrote a post about how we very successfully dealt with it. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14247

I hope that link works.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Thank you very much for the link! We might have to try that out :)
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:17 pm

You are very welcome. :)

I think we might do this again for chapter 14, which has us using a "you" sound for the "u" in "full" and "pull". It sound like "puel" and "fuel" instead. LOL. DS and I just laugh and he says, "shouldn't that be "pull and full?!" LOL. So he is able to correct it in his head now, which he couldn't do yey in chapter 11. The Reading Lesson has worked well. Even if we don't say "pe-yoush" in this house (push). ;) "I said, "I think it is more of a sound like you just got punched in your stomach" oooooogh! Pooooooough-sh. (This is why I will never write children's phonics books... okay kids, this letter makes a sound like when your carseat buckle gets your finger pinched... eeee! As in "eagle!)
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG