Need book titles for 13yo dd to read for fun

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
arstephia

Need book titles for 13yo dd to read for fun

Post by arstephia » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:16 pm

We have been doing HOD for years. My daughter is an avid reader and she has devoured every extension book, nearly all of the DITHOR books HOD sells, etc. But what now? She wants good books and is not interested in the lastest twaddle of vampires, graphic novels or amish romance, which is all that seems to be available for her age. She has read all of the Viking Quest series, some highly recommended dragon series that I can't think of, Tolkien and C.S. Lewis have also been read. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some book titles she can read for fun? A series would be even better!
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

abrightmom

Re: Need book titles for 13yo dd to read for fun

Post by abrightmom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Lois Walfrid Johnson, author of the Viking Quest series, has written other series for youth. She has a website that will tell you all about her books. Have you considered authors such as Chuck Black or N.D. Wilson? What about the Anne of Green Gables series (swoon!)? There is a website that I love to visit called Redeemed Reader.They give Christian Children's Book reviews for all ages/stages.

Carrie and Julie have both made recommendations in the past. If I can dig up some of those threads I'll link you. I *might* have them bookmarked. :D

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve!!! :lol:
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:07 am

Have you looked at the book list HOD sells? I think it is $5? I guess it is a list of really good books that Carrie likes but aren't actually used or planned in the guides. I do not have the list, but maybe someone here can explain it further.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:33 pm

arstephia wrote:We have been doing HOD for years. My daughter is an avid reader and she has devoured every extension book, nearly all of the DITHOR books HOD sells, etc. But what now? She wants good books and is not interested in the lastest twaddle of vampires, graphic novels or amish romance, which is all that seems to be available for her age. She has read all of the Viking Quest series, some highly recommended dragon series that I can't think of, Tolkien and C.S. Lewis have also been read. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some book titles she can read for fun? A series would be even better!
I was going to suggest the DITHOR Sample Book Idea list too. As far as specific series/titles, how old is your dd? I wasn't sure which child you were asking for, and I don't want to give too mature or not enough mature titles. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie