Speeding up LHFHG to finish before baby comes

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gardenmama28

Speeding up LHFHG to finish before baby comes

Post by gardenmama28 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi there, I am looking for advice on whether I should try to finish up LHFHG before my baby is born May 2, or if I should plan to finish after baby is born. Right now we are on unit 16, which means unit 34 would land 2 weeks after my due date. And we have a wedding in the family at the end of May. I feel like if I don't finish up before my baby is born, we will not finish. Right now I am planning to try and fast track through some units in order to finish before baby.

My one concern is math. We are doing Rod and Staff math rather than Singapore. She has two workbook pages per day to do. It is so far not too hard for her but she is not a fan of math. Would it be bad to have her do three pages a day to finish earlier, or should I skip more of the practice, or should I just have herfollow it through as written? I am scared that if I take it too fast or don't leave enough time for review, she will not learn it as well. Do kids need time for concepts to "soak in", or will she learn it just as well by completing all the practice questions?

Since we are canadian I am not so concerned about completing the history side of the guide as the later units are on American history.

Thanks for any advice

Nealewill

Re: Speeding up LHFHG to finish before baby comes

Post by Nealewill » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm

For math, I probably wouldn't speed it along but that is just me. I would go at whatever pace you are going and then stop when the baby comes. And then the following year I would just start where you left off. As for the rest of guide, if you can speed it up I would probably try to do that. If not, then I would worry to much if you don't finish the last couple of units.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Can she do any of the math without much help? I would be tempted to do a page a day a few times a week over the summer. That will keep her math up and give you time to finish it anyways. Basically do 1-2 lessons a week most weeks in the summer. Also, look at the next math book. It is possible there is review at the beginning too.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:41 pm

How exciting you will soon have a new addition to the family! :D I suppose it depends somewhat on how you are feeling health wise those last months (for me that always meant bed rest, which ironically WAS a good time to homeschool anyway :wink: ). Personally, I would just do a lesson a day every day, not doubling up, until the baby comes. Then, I'd probably take a week or 2 off (for sure if you have a c-section), and start back up half-speed. I always found my other dc wanted my attention still anyway, sometimes more so when there is a new baby in the house :wink: , and homeschooling half-speed was a super way to give it to them. :D As far as the history, even if you are Canadian, I'd not skip it. The “Learning Through History” part of the program gives a broad overview of history and emphasizes God’s plan throughout history. Bible stories are integrated with history stories about individuals, and all of these areas - Bible memory work, devotional topics, science discovery, art projects, dramatic play, thinking games, rhymes, gross motor skills, and music - correlate with the history readings. I hope something here can help, and may the remainder of your pregnancy go well and give you needed time to prepare. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie