Order of books to be read in BHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DanaFL

Order of books to be read in BHFHG?

Post by DanaFL » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:48 am

Ugh! I purchased all the books to be read, as well as DITHOR and the level 3 book passage. At the beginning of the year, it said to choose at least one (I skipped reading the AT LEAST part) biography to read for the next 20 days, so I've been reading Phillis Wheatley VERY slowly. (Our year started just recently, since I just pulled my girls out of school.) But now, on Unit 4 (week 4), I'm realizing I should have read Pocahontas. Before I get any further into the school year, has anyone put the books in order with what's studied? I figure that info wasn't included, so as to allow for people to choose whatever books they wanted, but since I bought the package, I'd just as soon get the most benefit from them, by reading them in the correct order.
Thanks!

MomtoJGJE

Re: Order of books to be read in BHFHG?

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:56 am

Do you mean for DITHOR or for the Story time in the BIgger guide?

DITHOR is meant for the child to read.

Story time is where you pick a book in that genre to read outloud to them.

DITHOR can be done in any order, though the book packages get slightly harder throughout the year in the order it is in the guide. Story time you read it in order.

DanaFL

Post by DanaFL » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 pm

I mean during Storytime. I bought the girl interest set, but It doesn't say which book to read when. I just wondered, if it isn't actually scheduled, if someone has worked out which books would correspond with which time periods we're studying. It told me to chose a biography, so I just grabbed Phillis Wheatley, only to realize I probably should have waited for this book, since we were studying Columbus, Hudson, John Smith, and Pocahontas first. The Wheatley book would have been better when we get into the Revolutionary war.
If anyone has thought through the book selections, I'd sure appreciate you sharing.
Thanks!
Last edited by DanaFL on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 pm

You are fine to have read Phyllis Wheatley. We read it for Storytime. In the appendix, is a list of about four books per genre which you can choose from. HTH.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:34 pm

on the website, where you click on Girl Interest Set under Bigger, it tells you what book is what genre and what units you use them. Also like PP said, in the appendix it tells you what books are what units.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Oh, and Pocahontas is not in the Story Time set. At least the sets on the Bigger main page. There is a Pocahontas book in the extension package... but that's also meant for the child to read. Pocahontas is also a Folk Tale book for DITHOR level three... also for the child to read.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Yes in the catalog or on the website the book package tells you which genre that book is for. Also in the Appendix of Bigger, but DITHR will not help you out with any book lists. I have been writing in pencil inside the front cover which guide (or DITHR), which level if it's DITHR, if it's for storytime I write storytime and then the genre. So it would say "Bigger Hearts storytime biography" or "DITHR level 3 biography" inside the cover. I try to put all the storytime books together on the shelf and all the DITHR books together on the shelf so I know what area to start looking, but then if I get confused I can look inside the cover. I have also come back to the HOD website and looked at the book pack because that also says how many days the book is supposed to take in DITHR. They have picked them out and made that decision for you which is nice.

For the history books, science books, etc I mark those with a sharpie on the spine with a different color/symbol for which guide they go with. This is so helpful when you are running multiple guides!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:47 pm

The story time books for each year don't necessarily align with the topic being studied. My kids have not been affected by this at all and have done well with knowing that they are different times periods. My oldest is in preparing and she is reading about ancient Greeks, Alexander Hamilton and Louis Braille. All people/events are different time periods. And she has no trouble keeping it straight.

I personally kind of like when story time is totally different from the history topic. As the parent, sometimes I feel like it over kill to read and read and read the same thing over and over again. I personally pick things that don't line up on purpose if I can. The story time is to increase their language skills in general so it doesn't really need to line up. Plus, sometimes it hard to line it up. I think as the levels go up, Preparing and CTC will line up but them the next might not always (I can't quite remember).

The DITHOR doesn't ever line up really and that is fine too. My kids are loving those books too.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM