Love the convenience of the boxes....flexibility

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Love the convenience of the boxes....flexibility

Post by John'smom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:01 pm

If this is out of line please feel free to delete. First let me say that we do our HOD like it is meant to be on a regular basis and as Carrie outlines in the book as I know it is important to skill building. With that said, I am 29 weeks pregnant and for some reason today I have struggled with being very tired and my hip is killing me. This is unusual for me which I am thankful for. With that said, I moved Storytime and Geography to tomorrow (as they both require me) and had my dc do their Independent History and their poetry boxes (both independent) but pretty much equal in time to the two boxes that we didn't do. This way we still got school finished, so there was no mom guilt, but it didn't require as much of me. It only equaled about 40 min of time, but was just a HUGE help to me mentally and physically.

Just another blessing and versatility to HOD.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

my3sons

Re: Love the convenience of the boxes....flexibility

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm so sorry your hip is hurting - I hope you are feeling better! That last part of being pregnant can be a doozie! I'm so glad you were able to find a way to still complete everything in the guide by using the flexibility of the boxes format. :D I really have been depending on that as well with al that we have had going on. The boxes make ME more able to be organized, as well as my dc. :wink: I'm so glad you found a way to make things work without sacrificing learning. :D May God be with you this last portion of your pregnancy, Edwena!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

lovemygirls

Post by lovemygirls » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:48 am

I don't post much but had to comment on this. I have to say that I was so drawn to HOD and yet felt so hesitant to use it of fear that it would be too inflexible. I kept hearing that it was a very structured curriculum so it made me wonder if I'd be able to pull it off. I finally decided to take the plunge and I'm so glad I did! I try to run the program as written but life can be unpredictable so I find HOD so very flexible when I need to adjust something. I'm not a very organized person so I actually love the structure, direction and detail that Carrie provides. It really helps me stay on track and yet at the same time I find the guides so easy to work with and adjust as needed to meet our various situations and needs.

HOD is wonderfully written and has been a blessing in this house! :D

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:45 am

I have done the same thing. I was sick for the first 15 weeks of pregnancy ( all day), & I adjusted things around constantly.
I wish you all the best for the remainder of your pregnancy!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 pm

lovemygirls wrote:I don't post much but had to comment on this. I have to say that I was so drawn to HOD and yet felt so hesitant to use it of fear that it would be too inflexible. I kept hearing that it was a very structured curriculum so it made me wonder if I'd be able to pull it off. I finally decided to take the plunge and I'm so glad I did! I try to run the program as written but life can be unpredictable so I find HOD so very flexible when I need to adjust something. I'm not a very organized person so I actually love the structure, direction and detail that Carrie provides. It really helps me stay on track and yet at the same time I find the guides so easy to work with and adjust as needed to meet our various situations and needs.

HOD is wonderfully written and has been a blessing in this house! :D
I'm so glad you chose to use HOD! May the Lord continue to bless your homeschooling! :D Thank you for sharing here!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie