Do you feel like... (olders vs youngers)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

Do you feel like... (olders vs youngers)

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:02 am

your littles race through their guides (daily and that the weeks/units with them seem to go by fast) and in contrast with the older ones it seems to go very slowly?

I am wondering if the reason I feel this way is because my 2nd born and 3rd born are well placed, if not placed in a guide that is a bit too easy for them, whereas my oldest it is a challenge. Or maybe it is because with the younger ones I have done the guide before so it seems so quick and easy. Or maybe it is because my oldest (3rd grader, almost 9) has lots of serious school to do, and with the younger ones, as per Charlotte Mason philosophy, school is light, easy, fun, and mostly about exploring life. Not that school with my oldest isn't fun, it is. But there is definitely a lot of work involved also.

Just curious to hear others' thoughts and experiences. Maybe as they grow more independent this changes also.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

lmercon

Re: Do you feel like... (olders vs youngers)

Post by lmercon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:36 am

Yes, for all the reasons you mentioned. I think it is understandable that an older child would have more work to do each day. Each year, there is more required, but they also become more independent. (Unless you have a dyslexic child, then you just do more and more everyday! Ugh! But I digress.)
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:34 am

Yes... it goes quicker and quicker with the younger ones...

I think it's more that *I* know what's going on, what to do, what I need, etc.

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Yes, my youngers seem to race through their guides. My 3rd grader is doing bigger and rips right through it, but I think it's because I've done the guide before. When I did the program a couple of years ago with older children, it seemed to take a long time.

Agreeing with another poster that with my older ones being in CTC and RTR, it takes longer, but the demands of the program are greater. They are capable of working though all the "I" boxes independently AND they like it. They don't want me hovering over their projects.

I'm doing four guides and it's going pretty well, but I'm still very busy and involved.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:53 pm

I am sure the fact that this is my first time through the guide makes it take a little longer and seem a little harder. It's kind of funny because on my 2nd time through I have also noticed things that I missed the first time, or things I forgot to do. I totally think if I had learned from these guides I would be better at following the directions! :roll: Well I do my best and by God's grace my children are learning with help from HOD!

I am also learning how much of my focus this takes. I think Carrie mentioned this in one of her Facebook posts. The house does not get cleaned, the dishes do not get done, and meals do not get cooked (and Facebook does not get checked, phone calls do not get answered). I now see what someone was saying that homeschooling is like having a full time job. I love it though! It was very fulfilling today, though I know it does not always have to be so in order to be what God wants for us.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:50 pm

MelInKansas wrote:your littles race through their guides (daily and that the weeks/units with them seem to go by fast) and in contrast with the older ones it seems to go very slowly?

I am wondering if the reason I feel this way is because my 2nd born and 3rd born are well placed, if not placed in a guide that is a bit too easy for them, whereas my oldest it is a challenge. Or maybe it is because with the younger ones I have done the guide before so it seems so quick and easy. Or maybe it is because my oldest (3rd grader, almost 9) has lots of serious school to do, and with the younger ones, as per Charlotte Mason philosophy, school is light, easy, fun, and mostly about exploring life. Not that school with my oldest isn't fun, it is. But there is definitely a lot of work involved also.

Just curious to hear others' thoughts and experiences. Maybe as they grow more independent this changes also.
What is going on at my house!?!?! I am obviously the odd one out here. My youngest (Emmett, 6 yo, in Beyond Little Hearts... doing about 3-4 days of plans a week) does not give me the feeling of racing through the guide... he's more of a putt... putt... putter. :) He ambles here, he shuffles there. He is content with meandering. It honestly is driving me a little crazy. If I timed it, I'd be with him a fairly short amount of time, I'm sure. If I timed the time I am with Riley (in CTC), I'm sure it would be double. If I timed the time I'm with Wyatt (in WG), it would be more than Riley's. However, I feel my time flies with Riley, is appropriate for Wyatt, and with Emmett? It goes s-l-o-w-l-y. I am thinking it is because of where each of them is in their respective guides. Riley is near the very end of CTC. Wyatt is about 12 weeks into WG. Emmett is about 8 weeks into Beyond. I also think it is because each of them have very differing abilities to work well independently, and to manage their time well. Emmett actually doesn't have these skills yet. It takes me for things to happen. I can actually leave the room with Emmett doing his copywork, and come back 15 minutes later to find he has hardly progressed at all. He has, however, gotten himself his morning drink, given his older brother a hug, chatted with his best stuffed buddy Speedy. All things, BTW, he is not supposed to be doing. We are working on rule awareness and keeping with Emmett. Anyway, I find it interesting that Wyatt's school takes about 6 1/2 to 7 hours a day to do, Riley's takes about 4 hours, and Emmett's takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (3/4 speed) to do... and still I feel Emmett is dragging. I think I make a better teacher of older students. That may be it. Anyway, just had to share as maybe someone else out there is the odd one out... or really, it could be just me. :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:47 pm

LOL Julie

This is my oldest daughter's problem too. Since she just started Preparing obviously she is just working into her independence and time management skills are not hers yet. She can get through the stuff she likes but the stuff she doesn't.... she dawdles.

Where they are at in the guide is probably a factor for me too. In Beyond we are in Unit 10. LHTH we are in Unit 20. Preparing.... Unit 1. Day 2. That's okay, it will come.

I am enjoying school more and more the older she gets. I really look forward to some of the great stuff I see coming down the line for us in HOD!
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:08 pm

I didn't think about where they are in the guides and where they fall on the age range. All of that makes a huge difference!

All of mine are middle to end of guides. Jayden is in the middle to upper end of the age range, Grace is at the upper end, and Julianna is square in the middle, but she's my "quick" one in picking up new things. We didn't start beyond until she was almost 7, whereas the others were 6. I almost have to do NOTHING on a day to day basis it feels like. I think I"m only involved for about 2 hours total time?

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Wow Lora Beth. I definitely work longer than you do, and I have one less child! You have a good, efficient plan worked out in your home obviously and I am still working on that.

My DD starting Preparing is almost 9. I really had to slow her down to not have us getting into Preparing too quickly, and because she really needed some growth in the skills in Beyond. She probably still does. She is not a Type A go-getter like the typical first born child.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:31 am

Wow. I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Melinkansas you have described my children almost perfectly. My oldest is slow & dawdles, my second (& to some degree, my 3rd) are real go getters and get done quickly.
I gained some insight as to why my youngers may be quicker. They are not my first trip through a guide, for one!
However, with my oldest it doesn't matter where he is in the guide, he is s l o w.

For example: my oldest went through Beyond as a 2nd grader & it took about 2 1/2 hours a day. With my younger one just starting Beyond it takes him about an hour - w/ 2 additions. (1st grade)
Even knowing he was a go-getter I was becoming concerned with how short a time it was taking. I think some of that is because I have taught that guide before- & I love it!

I have been working with my oldest about his being older and having more responsibility, on the flip side - he occasionally has more privileges. I know attitude also plays a key role in all of this.

Thanks for asking this! Hope all goes well for you and you enjoy the Christmas season!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:45 am

I have absolutely no help to add, but just want to say I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way! Beyond and LHTH take hardly any time at all. It frustrates my oldest in Preparing because she knows they are done and get to go play. I'm not sure how to help this. Should I work with just her in the morning first so they end more at the same time?
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

I do all the stuff I have to do with my oldest first thing. That way at least she's able to concentrate her independent work into one block and able to get it done faster without having to be interrupted. I do the one who has the most independent work first. In general that is oldest to youngest. Of course with Beyond and Bigger they are generally about the same as far as independent work goes... except on the days I have them read a section of their own work. So those two I'll alternate randomly who starts working with me first and who works on their own first.

They still get done way faster than my oldest in CTC, but it's not like I"m getting them done first and THEN teaching her. She gets a chunk out of the way before I start working with them.

She also has the option of doing independent work when she first gets up (in fact, I allow her up 30 minutes early as long as she comes down and does school work until the others are allowed up... she's an early riser in general though) And that helps her get done earlier compared to the others when she actually does it. I think next year when the middle two are in Preparing and Bigger I'm going to make it mandatory for the oldest to get up and get started.... We could either knock out the semi independent stuff, the T stuff (or both) or she could just do independent work for 30 minutes.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 am

I started doing what MomToJGJE does too. I give my oldest some time before I start with the younger ones. She is usually done with breakfast first anyway, and there are certain things like Math that I can start with her and she can finish on her own. I usually try to do one thing that is T-teacher directed and then one thing that is S and get her started on it and then after the S she can do an I and after the I she practices piano and takes a short break while I am working on Beyond or LHTH.

Then I still need a long-ish block with her to finish up the rest. Once we are trying to do Preparing full-speed I don't know how I will tweak it but I do like having that time with my oldest first and I think that helps her get going. I also "race" her. If she can finish her stuff before I am done with Beyond she gets a short time of computer games during her break. That has REALLY motivated her. Of course I do have to look over and check her math and I work.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:56 pm

I agree - it really depends on your child and their personality. My 2 younger ones are doing Beyond together and they get school done in 2 hours. My oldest thought putts around so badly! Some days are great and Preparing takes her only 4 1/2 hours. But other days - she is just staring out the window the whole day and school takes her 6 hours or more. It was a really hard decision but we (my husband and I) decided that realistically, the work load was the correct volume for her. She is correctly placed. She thrives with all of the activities just fine. And no matter what level she does, it is impossible to stop her from goofing off and focusing. And honestly, Bigger is way to easy for her without the extension. If I did add in the extensions, then I would be in the same position I am now. So after much prayer and though - we have decided to stick it out. I am not afraid to have her do school in the evenings and on weekends if need be. I know I probably sound horrible. But we just feel like - she can do this. And she has shown us some days (more and more now) that she is very capable of doing it.

One challenge though that we face now is that the youngers get done much faster and they are playing and running around somewhat. There is noise in this home. And they don't want to be away from me. My son (middle child) is actually in counseling for anxiety because has melt downs if he is not near enough to me. If I tell my oldest to go to her room to work by herself she will fall asleep on her bed. So we are working through it all. I will say that every year my oldest does get better and is more focused. This is actually our first year with HOD and my kids are loving it. It is probably the best fit curriculum wise we have found for our family. And my oldest absolutely LOVES that she can do her own work and that she does her things by herself. But my oldest also has just struggled with getting things done quickly and efficiently. And she knows the expectations with school. With my younger kids, they obviously have their own faults but both of them are little work horses when it comes to school. They actually do more than what I ask (they are kind of weird if you ask me.)

So my thoughts - each child is fearfully and wonderfully made by God. I have no idea how God is going use these little vessels of unique qualities some day but I do know that it will be great. Even though my oldest does take a long time sometimes, she also does have some truly wonderful unique qualities with school too (for example - younger kids rush through, she usually does it correctly because she pays attention more....). So I have just decided that I am not going to stress over it. I feel like we finally have a good and healthy balance. I am currently teaching natural consequences (you goof off all day, no/minimal time to play in the evenings with dad when he comes home). And it seems like God is sewing some seeds in my heart and my kids and blessing this year immensely thus far. Praying for you and your family as you work through your day's schedule. And praying for peace from God that your days go accordingly once you have decided on how your day should look.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:21 pm

These are great thoughts to have...
Nealewill wrote:...
So my thoughts - each child is fearfully and wonderfully made by God. I have no idea how God is going use these little vessels of unique qualities some day but I do know that it will be great. Even though my oldest does take a long time sometimes, she also does have some truly wonderful unique qualities with school too (for example - younger kids rush through, she usually does it correctly because she pays attention more....). So I have just decided that I am not going to stress over it. I feel like we finally have a good and healthy balance. I am currently teaching natural consequences (you goof off all day, no/minimal time to play in the evenings with dad when he comes home). And it seems like God is sewing some seeds in my heart and my kids and blessing this year immensely thus far. Praying for you and your family as you work through your day's schedule. And praying for peace from God that your days go accordingly once you have decided on how your day should look.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here - they are good ones - and they are wise! :D I loved reading this.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie