Spelling in Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
nena3927

Spelling in Beyond

Post by nena3927 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:13 pm

I will have a 6 yr old in Beyond (right side only) this coming school year and I had a spelling question. I have been looking at and really like "Soaring with Spelling" and wondered if I used that program what would it replace in Beyond's spelling? Just the spelling list? Would he still need to do the copywork? I don't have the Beyond manual yet and I'm sure that would explain things to me more. I really liked how the Soaring with Spelling had dc match the definition to the word and lots of other activities. From what I've read in Spelling in Beyond, there is nothing like that...just studying the word from and index card and writing it. Is that correct?SWS has quite a bit of writing along with it so I want to make sure that ds will not be overwhelmed with copy work as well. Thank you.
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

8arrows

Re: Spelling in Beyond

Post by 8arrows » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:31 pm

If you chose to use Soaring with Spelling, it would take the place of the Beyond lists. I don't think it would take the place of the copywork, but I am not very familiar with that spelling program. When you saw it in your hands, you could probably make a better judgment depending on your goals for your homeschool. We did enjoy the lists in Beyond.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:27 pm

The copywork in Beyond is connected with the poem they study each week, and reinforces the poem, and the kids draw a picture to go with the poem and have that as a project they can display (or go into their notebook) at the end of each unit. So I would say the SWS would not replace that part. It would replace the spelling lists. One of the nice things about the way things are balanced in the guides is that it makes your day fairly short. Beyond takes us 1.5-2 hours to complete. Think about adding a spelling program that will take a lot of time, though it sounds like they are good activities those also sound a little heavy for the average Beyond student. In Bigger there are definitions and copywork in that way, though nothing like that in Beyond. A program can be "great" but if it bogs you down with work that your child is not ready for, then it's not for you.

Your understanding of what they do with the spelling words is mostly correct. One day they study and copy the words, two days you are supposed to "test" where you say each word, use it in a sentence, and they write it (with a fun kinesthetic way to practice words missed), and then one day they copy sentences with some of the spelling words in them. My DD and I enjoy trying to create sentences with as many of the words in them as we can (then I write them down and she copies). So, spelling and meaning of the word are focussed on.

I hope this helps.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:06 pm

We've found the spelling in Beyond to be an excellent way to prepare for dictation, and dictation has been a successful way for dc to learn to spell accurately consistently within their own writing. The carryover is amazing!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:18 pm

Thank you everyone! I think I will probably end up using just the spelling lists in Beyond :)
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

deut6family

Post by deut6family » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 pm

My daughter is currently doing the Spelling in Beyond. During the first 14 weeks I did not do the spelling list provided, instead I did All About Spelling. While AAS is a great program and it teaches the "why" behind the spelling words it was taking 30 additional minutes to do spelling. I decided to drop the extra spelling program and try the lists in Beyond. I wanted to see if she could learn to spell just as well without the "why" behind the spelling. Not only is she learning to spell words, she is excelling. She gets an A every week on her spelling test with only about 5-10 minutes of practice a day based on what the recommendations are for that day. I won't be going back to AAS or an additional program, it's not necessary!

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Thank you so much deut6famiy! That is so good to hear :)
~Nena
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:31 am

After using HODs spelling from the beginning I can tell you that it works. My oldest competed in a spelling bee last year... 4th grade is the earliest you can do it here, don't know about everywhere else.... she finised 4th out of 20 kids ranging from 4th through 8th grade.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:04 pm

These things are very encouraging to read. I have been praying - and I mean praying - about what to do about spelling. My oldest has mild dyslexia and has STRUGGLED with spelling. She couldn't even spell simple things, like lamp, without getting it wrong. Very bad - yes. So I started using AAS last year. Well, this year I was looking through the dictation and I am so tempted to switch! I won't do both. Both teach things very differently. And since I have been using AAS, I am having my youngers use it too. They like it well enough. But they have never really "struggled" with spelling at all either. I think I am the only one struggling (with decisions now) if you know what I mean LOL. Does anyone have a child that is mildly dyslexic at all. What have you done?
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

amysue277

Post by amysue277 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 pm

We started Beyond doing the spelling list, and I was very uncomfortable with it. I felt that just doing the list was lacking...like I needed to be doing more teaching. AAS definitely fits us, so we have replaced the spelling in Beyond with AAS and couldn't be happier. I think just do what your gut tells you!
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13