WWYD with these ages...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
fullhands_fullheart

WWYD with these ages...

Post by fullhands_fullheart » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:28 pm

I asked this on the Facebook group awhile back, thought I'd post here to get more opinions.

This is our first year using HOD (2nd yr HSing), we aren't very far into it yet but we are loving it! To make an easy transition into this method of homeschooling (last year was very chaotic) we started with my 2nd grader in Beyond and my 4th and 6th graders in Preparing. The 6th grader does the extensions. I like to plan ahead so that I can pick up some of the stuff as I see it in used book stores. So for next year, my younger will do Bigger for sure. Then the older 2, should I keep them together in CTC? Another option I thought of was to have the middle child do Bigger with the younger so that she doesn't miss out on that curriculum, Should the older do CTC or skip it and go to the next guide (RTR I think?)....... Sometimes I think Preparing is too easy for him this year, but yet he is a reluctant schooler anyway, gives me grief sometimes. So I didn't want to put too much on him.

Advice? Thanks!
Kindra:
homeschooling mama to:
Seth 12
Elissa 10
Noah 8
Emma 5
Luke 1
foster mom to 3 littles ages 5, 4, 3 months

mommyofmany

Re: WWYD with these ages...

Post by mommyofmany » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:42 pm

I haven't used those guides yet so I can't say for sure- but I'd keep the older two together and put them both in CTC. From what I've read here, there is a significant jump in skills between the guides as you go. If your oldest can be a reluctant learner, I'd be hesitant to skip a guide unless you feel he would really be more appropriately placed in RTR. If your middle child is doing well in Preparing, I'd keep moving forward! Bigger *is* a wonderful guide (that's what we're using this year)-but maybe she can just listen in on some of the readings with your youngest sometimes?? I'm already making plans for next year too.... I can't help myself, lol! :D
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:13 am

What you have going now seems really ideal, and so unless you find that they are not challenged, or are too challenged, as you go through this year I would just keep going as you are. Your oldest will be challenged, and the range a guide can cover is wider in the higher guides, there is more challenge you can add in. Probably just how short the school day is for your 6th grader is a big contrast, but he is getting a good well-rounded education and learning to work independently, etc.

There's no reason to work yourself into 3 guides. If you took the middle one down to Bigger next year then the following year you'd have to jump back to CTC and so you would be in 3 guides. If the middle can handle CTC, then go with it! They will hit the American History again through the 4 years of history from CTC to MTMM.

I hope this helps.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:30 am

I have had my kids combined and not combined and for me I find having them placed where they fit the best is for the best. I would look at where the 6th grader placed not factoring in this year or anything. I would just go to the placement chart and check off where he fits and place him where he gets the most checks. If he fits in CTC, then keep them combined. Yet, you may find that he fits in RTR. I wouldn't go backwards with the 4th grader as American History is going to roll around again and the skills advance in each guide.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:40 pm

mommyofmany wrote:I haven't used those guides yet so I can't say for sure- but I'd keep the older two together and put them both in CTC. From what I've read here, there is a significant jump in skills between the guides as you go. If your oldest can be a reluctant learner, I'd be hesitant to skip a guide unless you feel he would really be more appropriately placed in RTR. If your middle child is doing well in Preparing, I'd keep moving forward! Bigger *is* a wonderful guide (that's what we're using this year)-but maybe she can just listen in on some of the readings with your youngest sometimes?? I'm already making plans for next year too.... I can't help myself, lol! :D
I would agree with this. Definitely look at the placement chart for your oldest if you are thinking of splitting your kids up, but if they are both doing good, I'd keep them together. I agree that you should not move backwards in guides. Especially for a 5th grader who is doing well.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH