Singapore 3A help please

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Singapore 3A help please

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 am

My 9yo (almost 10) 4th grader is doing Singapore 3A (life happened and we are behind!). He's a very mathy child and unit 4 when they start multiplying where carrying is involved, he is still doing it mentally. I don't mind, and I am thrilled he is capable. BUT, even though I told him I wanted him to write it out and learn the process so it would help him with larger numbers later, he didn't follow my advice :wink: :roll: So, he's somewhat struggling with the carrying in multiplying as the numbers grow.

Our bigger concern is he is really struggling with the long division we are digging into. He gets division. He can solve simple division in his head. He doesn't have facts down yet (that's coming up in the next unit). He gets what each step is doing when we do it, but he gets lost about what numbers to use, where to put them, and can't remember the steps. He's always been able to solve complex word problems on his own since he was tiny. But he struggles now reading the problems and knowing what operation is needed. He would choose repeated addition rather than just multiply, for example.

I know we will be fine in the next unit when it's about learning the tables for 6,7,8,9...but do I need to move on and we will recover the topics (I know it will be deeper, but will it start deeper or will it start from an introductory level?) or do I need to sit here for a while until he gets it?

My oldest has been through this but she's now in Pre-Alg so I dont' remember enough to know what to expect at this point :)

ETA: Are we supposed to be doing bar models for the word problems at this point? I didn't even think about it, I just naturally teach them that way now with having the older child. So, maybe having him do those right now if I'm not supposed to yet is a hindrance?
Last edited by Mom2Monkeys on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Tidbits of Learning

Re: Singapore 3A help please

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:42 am

I would make an index card and list the steps with an example on it so that he can have a visual reminder while working. Public school kids have posters all over the walls with these type of visuals. :)
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:51 am

I have kept the text open and let him use that visual, but he can't even fully "teach" it to me with an already worked problem in the book. He still gets confused about the flow of the numbers, which ones to work with, where to put them.... I tried just writing out the symbols " / x - " to help him remember to divide, mult, subt and that helped....except for knowing which numbers to use for the steps and where to put them. :|
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:03 pm

I found this one online. Do you think it would help since it has arrows and 2 different colors for the numbers?
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi Tamara! :D Riley, who is 10 yo, totally forgot over the summer how to do multiplication with carrying and long division, and he's in 4B now. What we did was move forward with the math plans, doing a lesson a day, but at the start of each lesson for a week or two, I wrote 2 multiplication problems with carrying and 2 long division problems for him to do. I just wrote one at a time in black marker in big numbers on a markerboard. I began by using number he could easily multiply... like 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, and 9's (using the finger method for 9's). I had 2 colors of markers as well to point out arrows (like Tidbits of Learning's example above), numbers carried, etc., and I said the steps out loud as we did them. We clipped along with these and did them pretty much together at first. At the end of a few weeks, he had it. Maybe you could try something like that? I'd not let it take so much time it takes over the whole lesson though. As you said, it's coming in the future days of plans again anyway. :D Also, for how to choose the operation to do, teach him to look for clues in the problems... i.e. 'all together' means add, 'of' usually means multiply, etc. Keep asking him what he is trying to find - i.e. the total number of books the boys read - and as he is solving multi-step problems, have him identify what he has already found (i.e. the total number of books the girls read) and what he needs to ultimately find to completely solve the problem. It seems kids forget what the numbers they've already come up with stand for - or maybe that is just at my house! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie