Intro from KS

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2SHZC

Intro from KS

Post by Mom2SHZC » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi everyone. I have been lurking here and reading posts for a week or more now and decided last night to join so I could ask my questions as they come up. I am Michele, we live in Kansas. We have been homeschooling for 8 years now.(I can't believe it has been that long.)
I have always used a more traditional/textbook method of homeschooling, but I really feel God is leading me to use LHFHG and BHFHG when we start our new school year, which won't begin until January 2009.
My plan right now is to use LHFHG with my two youngest and BHFHG with my two oldest. I know that BHFHG might be a bit easy for my 14 yr old, but she struggles with change and school in general, so I want it to be a tad bit easy for her. I am going to go ahead and leave her in the same math and English she has been doing, so that will help a little. She was in ps for K & 1st so she has always thought school work needs to come in a certain format and she has never enjoyed school at all. I am hoping to change this. We are on summer break til the Monday after July 4th. When we start up I am going to have her do some oral narration and copywork to start gearing her up for the change. I am going to do this for my other 2 girls also.
This has ended up being longer than I had planned, so if you have read this far thanks. From the other posts I have read this sounds like a great bunch of ladies.

we6rblessed

Post by we6rblessed » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Michele,

Welcome!
The ladies here are great!
I am planning on using Bigger for my children. I have a 15yo that struggles so with school. I am going to have her do her own math and LA and then add some additional resources that Carrie has suggested to make Bigger more substancial for her. I am sure that there are many who will jump in here and help you in any way they can.
Looking forward to traveling the journey along with you.
:D ~Linda

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:06 pm

:D :D :D WELCOME :D :D :D

I'm your neighbor in MO. My dh works in KS, though...Lenexa. We are very glad to have you here!

Sounds like you have worked out a good plan for your family and we look forward to hearing from you when you get started.
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Carly

Post by Carly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 pm

Welcome aboard!

Carly

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi and Welcome!! :D Sounds like you have a great plan. Glad you are here.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 pm

Welcome aboard! Figuring out what to use is half the battle, now the fun part begins... ordering... box day.... and salivating over everything prior to letting your kids touch a thing! :lol:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi Michele! :D

We're so glad to have you on the boards. Now, I'm dying to know...where in Kansas are you? I live near Marysville in NE Kansas. I'm not sure that there are any other Kansas moms on the board, but I'm guessing others use it because the HOD booth at the conference in KC was very busy. :D

I'll be looking forward to getting to know you better.
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Mom2SHZC

Post by Mom2SHZC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:03 am

Kathleen,
I live in the SE corner, near Independence. Several of the other HS families down here came up to the conference in KC this year. I think they like it better than the one in Wichita that is closer.

Melanie,
I have family that live up around KC, so Lenexa sounds familiar to me. I think one of my nephews might have lived there once up on a time.

Thanks to everyone else for the welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Sandi_NC

Post by Sandi_NC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi Michele!

Just wanted to say Hello and Welcome!
Sandi in NC ~ Wife to Bill and Momma to William (11), Lizzie (10) and Anna (9)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi Michelle!

I'm new too! Looking forward to it though!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi Michele! Welcome to the HOD boards, and it sounds like you've got a great plan! We did LHFHG and Bigger... last year and really enjoyed it. I recently posted our schedule we used, and in the hopes that it might be beneficial in some small way, I'll link it here:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1395

Looking forward to getting to know you! :o :o :o
In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Michele,

I just wanted to welcome you too! We also did LHFHG and Bigger... last year and really enjoyed ourselves!

We pray you will too!

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2SHZC

Post by Mom2SHZC » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:51 am

my3sons wrote:Hi Michele! Welcome to the HOD boards, and it sounds like you've got a great plan! We did LHFHG and Bigger... last year and really enjoyed it. I recently posted our schedule we used, and in the hopes that it might be beneficial in some small way, I'll link it here:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1395

Looking forward to getting to know you! :o :o :o
In Christ,
Julie :D
Julie,

Thanks for posting the link to your schedule. I have recently started babysitting twin 2 month olds and I have been wondering how it would work out for us. We will take a longer break for lunch and will probably end up doing the Storytime reading of an evening time. My dh works evenings so we have our big meal at noon.

Leslie in TN

Welcome!

Post by Leslie in TN » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:14 am

Just wanted to say welcome and congratulate you on formulating your plan for next year. That's the hard part, isn't it? :D
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:43 am

Michele,

Your situation sounds like mine. It will be great to have someone in a similar homeschooling situation. My husband works evenings too and I also babysit. I have 4 other kids besides my own two. So good luck with the transition.

My hope is that I'll be able to transition out of completely watching kids in a year or two. We'll see though.

Nice to "meet" you and welcome to HOD!!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site