My children and I love HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alhempel

My children and I love HOD

Post by alhempel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:59 pm

I found HOD because my 13 year old wanted to study the Middle Ages. In a search, I came across HOD and began to fall in love. I poured over the site and catalogs. I ended up ordering Little Hearts for my 5 year old, Beyond for my 7 year old, and Resurrection to Reformation for my 13 year old. We are having a wonderful year so far. We are in Unit 6 of LHFHG, Unit 8 of Beyond, and Unit 10 of RTR. Mean while I had some World History curriculum given to me for my freshman. Every day was torture for him. He kept drifting in an listening to his brothers readings and to see what he was doing. He hated his own school work. Finally, I decided to see if we could work it out financially to get the new World Geo guide for him. He was so excited when his box arrived. I have never seen him so enthused about school work. He dove right in and loved week one, following me around telling me about what he was learning. We then went on vacation and he had to have a minor surgery. Despite the doctor's note to take a week off, he couldn't wait to get back into his history using his recovery time to read. Today he was telling me about the city of Petra(Unit 2) and showing me his books. Honestly, I hadn't had time to look in depth at them. I began browsing through the Archeology Book and apparently became engrossed because he tapped me on the shoulder and said, " um, Mom, I kind of need that book back to finish my assignment." I will admit I often read ahead because I don't want to put them down. I love the books HOD has chosen and how much conversation it has sparked in our day to day life. All of my children, but especially my older ones, are saying, " did you know that....., or I was reading the other day about.....". They are learning and sharing not just completing assignments! Thanks HOD.
Alison

I-15- completed World History Guide
T-14- completed World Geography Guide
E -8 completed Bigger w/ emerging readers
M-6 In Beyond w/ Emerging Readers
G- 3 years and ready to start some school
C- 4 1/2 months

mommyofmany

Re: My children and I love HOD

Post by mommyofmany » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait until we get to use some of the older guides because I want to be able to read all those books too!! Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful homeschool year! :D
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for sharing!! Such a beautiful snippet into your homeschool with HOD :D ! I can't wait to get to the World Geography guide! My oldest is in CTC so it's still a little ways away but you've given me much to look forward to :) .

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 am

That is so wonderful! I must admit I am looking forward to these guides because they're all so interesting- to me! Fascinating stuff.

I shudder to think what things would be like if I had to pull together my own resources and ideas. It isn't good! HOD is brilliant.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I love reading about how the children react to their studies.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Alison,

Thanks so much for sharing! Your post blessed me so much today! We are enjoying our guides this year too - doing Beyond, CTC, the World Geography guide, and school with our senior. :D

My boys are forever sharing snippets from what they learn too! It great to see them engaged in their learning! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 pm

alhempel wrote:... I began browsing through the Archeology Book and apparently became engrossed because he tapped me on the shoulder and said, " um, Mom, I kind of need that book back to finish my assignment." I will admit I often read ahead because I don't want to put them down. I love the books HOD has chosen and how much conversation it has sparked in our day to day life. All of my children, but especially my older ones, are saying, " did you know that....., or I was reading the other day about.....". They are learning and sharing not just completing assignments! Thanks HOD.
Thanks so much for your inspiration here! I loved reading this and picturing another mom lost in an HOD book. :D :D :D I was the one with my head lost in an HOD book the other day with Wyatt's "Shane" book a few units back, and then again yesterday with Riley's "Traveling the Way" book in CTC (which I actually read years back to Wyatt but couldn't remember the end, which is a real coming full circle moment that is awesome!). :D It was great to hear how you just dove in and made things work with your kiddos too! Way to go! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie