Off Topic-The Birds and the Bees

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Off Topic-The Birds and the Bees

Post by John'smom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:30 pm

So are there any books that you all could suggest to help explain this to your dc? I know HOD uses some books next year, one specifically entitled, "God's Design for My Body" but we don't have it yet and it isn't scheduled until next year. I guess my being pregnant has my ds actually asking about what exactly causes a baby to get inside of you. He knows God is the Creator, but think he was asking more. I know I have a video here Fearfully and Wonderfully Made featuring Dr. David Menton. I haven't watched it yet so that may be appropriate. AIG suggests it for 12 up and ds is 11 1/2.

He has only asked once and I told him I had a video that would help explain things. So do you all think it is time to talk or do you wait until your dc has more than once? Not sure what to do. :blush:
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

TrueGRIT

Re: Off Topic-The Birds and the Bees

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Personally I feel that it depends on the age and maturity of the child. He is old enough as long as he is mature enough.

I am also pregnant, but so far only our 6-yo has questions. We feel he is too young, and only give him vague (although correct) answers.
For our 9 yo we would probably explain since he is very mature for his age - but all he says is "God has a special way of babies being made, and born" and
doesn't want to know the details.

My mom explained to me at 9 & 10. She also gave me a book to read. I know girls are ready sooner, but I don't think your son is too young.
At least not for an explanation. Video may be too much - have you watched it yourself to see? I think only you and your husband can decide for your family.
Although at 11, I would stick with a book or CD. (Focus on the Family has a few good books.)
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:54 pm

We only answer what they ask. Since we read the Bible aloud each day, the picture slowly reveals itself as the children mature. I have never used a book or video as they make ME blush!!!!! And I have been married for 23 years and have 8 kids! Be very careful what you use.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:32 pm

We would definitely watch the video first if we were to use it. :) Not sure if the link is allowed, but you can see it HERE if you are interested. My in-laws had a hard copy though that I have borrowed. I still haven't watched it as I have to wait for them to go to bed. :D

My ds is mature for his age. He isn't foolish. He is a quiet, calm, pensive fellow. To be honest, I can see a disapproval when others are foolish. I don't mean in a harsh way but he knows it isn't right and he won't join in. I just didn't know if you wait until the child asks more than once. KWIM?
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Would it be possible to get the resources from RTR early. Maybe just the 3 books for $20. My dh is going over that part of the guide. It is a gentle approach. My ds is 11 and he hasn't asked. He was 3 when I was pregnant. It was a perfect time to talk about it when my older dd were 8&10 because I was pregnant at the time. Yeah, boys are different. Congratulations on pregnancy.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:59 am

For my dd I ordered the first of the RTR series early-From Girl to Woman. We went through that together when she did Preparing at age 10. It was enough to satisfy her curiosity, and although she had been asking more specific questions about exactly how that baby got in there, this first look at the changes in her body was exactly what she needed at the time. For sure, don't hesitate to bring in those books earlier than scheduled if your child is needing them now.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing