R&S 2

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

R&S 2

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 am

I know R&S is advanced somewhat. But what do you think about adding it in once or twice a week with a 7yo in Beyond? She's past the grammar written in Beyond. I thought I'd continue the lesson on day 5 in Beyond, but also add in R&S once or twice in addition to that.

glperky

Re: R&S 2

Post by glperky » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:35 am

My 7 yo DS is in Beyond and we do R&S 2 almost everyday. He loves it and is getting a lot from it. If I don't have it out to do he ask if we can do it. I don't make him do any writing with it just all orally. No writing! That might be why he enjoys it so much! :lol:
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Yeah we don't do any of 2 written either. I probably wouldn't be considering it otherwise.

I asked DH his opinion (he doesn't generally have one about our schooling, but I always ask anyway ;) ) and he said "there's never anything wrong with learning" And I had Julianna look at the first lesson and she did it (reading it herself and all) with no problems.

So I guess that was my answer.

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm

My daughter actually really enjoys it, so I would go ahead and start it if she's ready. The funny part is that she WANTS to do all the writing.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:36 pm

That's great that she is showing she is ready for more - hooray! :D Personally, with our kiddos, I would actually consider finishing out the Beyond grammar lessons first, doing 1 a day or 3 or so a week until we were through them, and then start R &S English 2 halving a lesson over 2 days, and doing a half each day. I'd do this for better retention in R & S English, as well as a nice foundation for a 7 yo from Beyond first. However, that is just my 2 cents - you will certainly know best, and it is always good to consult dh's wise counsel.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:18 am

I thought of that last night Julie! To go ahead and finish out Beyond's grammar before starting R&S2. So since someone else mentioned it ;) I think I'll do it.

She's grown and matured so much in the past year and a half it's amazing. At 5.5 she couldn't get through a LHFHG lesson in one day. I had to split her and Grace up because Grace was having no problems with it at all and Julianna couldn't do it. We kept Juli half speed four days a week and went full speed five days with Grace. Sometimes Juli wouldn't do school at all, like if we had anything else that day, and some days she would just do math and FMS.

Now she could easily do Bigger.

Fortunately for me, the way I alternate Bigger and DITHOR with Grace they should be combined again sometime in the next year or so.

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:01 pm

MomtoJGJE wrote:
Fortunately for me, the way I alternate Bigger and DITHOR with Grace they should be combined again sometime in the next year or so.
Oh please share what you do here because I would love to be able to combined mine in the future. :D
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:53 pm

What great progress she has made! Do take time to celebrate that accomplishment. You are doing such a good job with your dc, Lora Beth! I know it is not always easy, but you are really making a lasting impact on their lives. We do need to know that as homeschool moms - we need to hear that, as it is not often said. Keep up the good work - it is important work that matters.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:22 pm

We school year round, and I have trouble remembering or wanting to add in DITHOR to our typical days. So we do roughly 6 weeks of the regular HOD guides, then 3 weeks of DITHOR along with math/English/dictation and AWANA. This allows us to have "breaks" from our typical school day every 6 weeks, then they are ready to go again. Plus continuing the math/English/dictation allows me to cut that out if we need a shorter day here and there, like when we have enrichment classes on Thursdays.

Julianna is not in DITHOR yet. So she continues on with Beyond, doing about 3/4 speed.... math/LA every day and splitting the left side into two days.... during the 3 weeks that her sisters do DITHOR. At least that's the idea... most times she actually completes a full day because she's just that fast at it. I basically set a 45 minute time limit for her and whatever she gets done after the right side is what she does.

Oh, and we do story time all together in the evenings, even though they are not in the same places in their books... I just do story time for the "slowest" guide and keep all three together. It's almost separate from the rest of the guide because I'm not doing the history related ones for CTC this year. I needed them combined in that this year. Next year they'll be separate again.

glperky

Post by glperky » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for sharing, Lora Beth! :D. I may just have to try something like this!
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

deut6family

Post by deut6family » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:15 pm

I have recently wondered this same question with my 7 yro daughter. I felt like once a week English was not enough for her and she caught on so fast to it! So I just started "tabbing" the English page and doing another of the english lessons in beyond whenever we have time. Sometimes I do a new lesson every day and sometimes I do it every other day. They are so quick and easy! I figure once we get to the end of Beyond (in just the English part-) then I will start Rod & Staff 2. I also have her going faster in the Math portion as well because she can and she loves it! Hope that makes sense!

Sarah

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:51 am

Yes we started doing math at their own pace (instead of keeping with the guide necessarily) in the spring? summer?

We are doing the 5th day LA lessons every day now. Sometimes I skip them if it's something she knows well, like initials.... we did that one in about 30 seconds ;) And the putting the months in order one... she did that on her own a few days before it came up in the guide! So when I saw what that was I decided we'd move on.

But it's really working well! At the rate we are doing them now, assuming we continue to do them daily, she'll be hitting R&S when things settle down after the holidays.

So basically she is now on her own pace with ERs, math, and grammar. Everything else right now is staying with the guide. I'll re-evaluate after things settle down, but I think my next big challenges will be figuring out if Jayden needs to be bumped DOWN in grammar (a whole other issue) and doing stuff with Evie on a more regular basis. Right now though it's hard enough keeping Penelope away from the wood stove and figuring out everything that has to be done in the next 6 weeks :shock:

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 am

Appreciating this thread as I look at ways to beef up Beyond for my 7.5 year old :) .
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)