OMG!! IT IS HERE!! I WANT TO CRY LOL!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mothermayi

OMG!! IT IS HERE!! I WANT TO CRY LOL!

Post by mothermayi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am

I posted this on the HOD fb group but wanted to share my enthusiasm here as well.

Here is my original message just before delivery (in my moment of freaking out :lol: ):
"My package will be here today and I am so nervous!! I hope it is everything I hoped it would be. Our last program was a disappointment (cheap copies of bland student sheets, poor books for science, too many Usborne/DK books for my liking, high school level book for a 9 year old, not enough substance or skill building, vague directions, too many trips to the store, etc.). That experience has me nervous about receiving our first complete HOD order!"

Here is my reply after I ripped open the box like a mad woman :lol: :

"Oh My Gosh!! It [CTC] is beautiful!!!!!!!! The books are amazing! The student pages are wonderful! It's not a bunch of coloring pages and maps from google! The tm is fantastic! I love the detailed directions for narrations and prepared dictation. It doesnt just say "narrate" in the preface and that is it. There is research, geography, poetry, and timeline work every week! There are history projects each week and I am not just reading aloud for every subject and having the kids look at me like "okay, now what are WE suppose to do?" I cant wait to look through it some more. We will start half speed since my kiddos have not had much instruction (in the way they were use to) with the other program. They have pretty much been on a long break from true learning using the other program. They complained it was too easy. Now I wonder what they will think since they have been skating by for the last three months . I am so glad to have found HOD!
Ps. Please no tomato throwing by those that love the other program. This is my opinion and it reflects our experience. Many people love it. We didn't. Different strokes...."

My husband and children had a nice laugh as I literally hugged my big, white, dirty box :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ! Dh says my Christmas present will be a box full of books. I said as long as I got to choose them, that's fine :D :wink: . I am soooo ready and wanting to buy Beyond for my upcoming 1st grader!

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

raindrops

Re: OMG!! IT IS HERE!! I WANT TO CRY LOL!

Post by raindrops » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Hehehehehehe!!

Thank you so much for sharing your reaction! Priceless!

So I am not the only one who asks for homeschool books for Christmas presents? LOL

You will love Beyond too. We are doing that guide now. So much there! It is amazing... there is just sooo much IN the guide itself, not just "read this page from this book", but spelling lists and bible study and art, poetry studies, grammar and so much more. We are on Unit 7 now and I am just constantly amazed and thankful for HOD. I can only imagine what CTC must be like...!
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Lol!! Love your post/reaction! I can so relate to wanting to hug that big, white, dirty HOD box! :D Can't wait to hear how your year progresses!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

lovinghomeschool

Post by lovinghomeschool » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm

So so Happy for you!!!! :D

One of the best home school decisions I have ever made was switching from the curriculum you used the past 3 months to HOD! They are nothing alike. I really think you will be glad for HOD. Starting 1/2 speed is a good idea. It helps a lot coming from the other.

LOL! I kissed my TM when it came I was so happy.

Congratulations! :D

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Laughing and rejoicing with you!!! :D HOD is a rich, beautiful program. 8)
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Awesome! AND I assure you, the programs just keep getting better and better!
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks everyone :D . It's going very well! We are trying to find our groove and learn how to efficiently use the guide and going 1/2 speed for a couple of weeks was definitely a great idea. R&S English will take a little getting use to but it was a smart choice to switch to it bc Intermediate Language Lessons would've been redundant in conjunction with the HOD guide. We are learning so much together! :D Oh, and both boys cringed and shrieked when I told them they were going to write in their Bibles :lol: :lol: . Now they understand why Mom's Bible is marked up :mrgreen: .

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:11 pm

HOORAY FOR BOX DAY!!! :D :D :D This was just plain fun to read... picturing HOD moms hugging their HOD boxes... too fun!!! :D :D :D

Good idea to start half-speed and find your groove!

For English, I ran with Carrie's advice to do 2/3 orally. We just write one section each day and clip along. I thought I'd pass that tip on in case you weren't doing it.

Have a super weekend! Thanks for your encouragement to all of us here!! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie