Can I do Beyond with R&S 2?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
coconuts

Can I do Beyond with R&S 2?

Post by coconuts » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:32 am

My son is finishing up 1st with another program.I got the Beyond manual just to search out the curriculum and did a few lessons with him. He really liked it, so I was going to double up lessons on History, science and Bible in Beyond and start on Bigger for this coming school year. But, my son really likes Beyond and I don't want to rush through all the meat. It's a great program.He's never had history or scince this way. Now I'm saving it to start for the 2nd grade year.
He is ready for 2nd grade English though. Will it be a problem to do R&S 2 with Beyond?
Isaiah 26:3-4

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:29 am

I think that would be fine to do. In fact, I had thought about it as well since Beyond will be our 2nd grade year. I have decided, however, to wait and use R&S 2 for 3rd grade.
I think either way is fine, and you will also be giving yourself some wiggle room just in case you don't finish it by Bigger. :wink: Glad to hear how much your son is enjoying Beyond!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Carly

Post by Carly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:31 am

Sure. Just substitute it in!

Leslie in TN

I was in the same boat..

Post by Leslie in TN » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:48 am

I asked myself the same question.. my ds COULD certainly do R&S 2 this year, (he's very intelligent and has picked up tons of grammar from simply being in the same room as my older girls) but I've decided not to for two reasons.

First, though R&S 2 doesn't move too quickly, by the time you get to the 4th grade book, it's a lot more grammar than I ever did in K-8th. It's not uncommon for Charlotte Mason-ites that use the program to use it one "grade" behind for that reason.

Secondly, my ds IS only 7, with years of grammar ahead of him. I've seen the amazing things that daily copywork can do and am convinced that it will not "hurt" him or "slow him down" in the least to continue with the plans in Beyond as written. The grammar activities listed on Day5 in each unit, although simple in appearance, covers everything a child of 2nd grade needs to know, IMO.

Now, having said all that, he and I decided that we are going to do Cheerful Cursive this year (another thing he is ready for and truly wants to do) and really focus on handwriting, so that next year in Bigger we can just focus on the grammar in R&S 2.

I don't know if any of that was helpful or not, but I just wanted to share some of my considerations when I was deciding this same question.

:) :)
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

Lisa E

Leslie,

Post by Lisa E » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:33 pm

I am new to HOD. I started R&S 2 at the end of 1st grade for my dd soon to be 7 in august and she has completed the first unit. I do it with her orally instead of the written pieces. She was over worked in private school when it came to writing. I will probably use R&S 2 with Beyond because we have already started and my dd likes it, especially since we do it orally. I think that Carrie does some of it orally in Bigger. I am still open to stopping R&S 2 and using it next year instead if it gets to be too much for dd.

Still open to change
Lisa

coconuts

Post by coconuts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 am

OK, I decided to continue doing Beyond through the Summer, and switch to Bigger in the Fall. Mainly because he is ready to learn cursive, and ready for R&S2 as well as Singapore 2. This will make it easier anyway, because he will have two older sisters doing Bigger with extensions. They will do Dither too.
We just enjoyed doing Beyond together that I wanted to slow down and savor it for a whole school year. Wish I had done it from the start instead of trying it mid semester. As it is, he already has a whole program that he's been working on for 1st.
Well, if Bigger is written just as good, then we will enjoy it too.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:12 pm

coconuts,

If you're enjoying your Beyond.. journey, I wouldn't pressure yourself to hustle it along. It is definitely easy to add on Rod and Staff English 2. So, don't worry about rushing to get to "Bigger...", unless you think it's needed!

Blessings,
Carrie

coconuts

Post by coconuts » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Carrie,
Thank you for your reply. I have been in a struggle with HOD and placing my children. Can you tell? :oops:
We did enjoy doing Beyond-but we weren't doing the English or Math because he was doing LFBC, which covered everything in 1st except History.
Even though he had a reading program, it only uses one book(MCruffy)and only about a page a day but encluded phonics instruction. The Bible portion was reading and fill in the blanks. When we added in HOD it was so refreshing to read and discuss things together. I liked how the devotionals tied in. He loved being able to read to me more(emerging readers) and I to him. He actually could do independent reading, but we will continue with emerging.

I guess what we really enjoyed was the style, and I figure that Bigger will still give me that. Since I have 5 children, putting him in Beyond would add another program to do-4 programs.

I'm still deciding weather to put my 5yr. old in LHTH or LHFHG(maturity qustions)
My 9 and 11 yr. old will be in Bigger with extensions.
I'm undecided with my soon to be 13 yr. old(maybe preparing?) At any rate, whatever we do with her will be another program weather HOD or not.
So... that is why I feel putting my son in Bigger will eliminate one extra program.

I already have all the manuals and core books for all the programs that HOD sells except for "Preparing," because I'm not sure which to go with. I'm testing the waters.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:53 pm

coconuts,

Thanks so much for taking time to fill me in on your family dynamics. I agree that it sounds like your 7 year old could slide up to "Bigger..." if he's ready for English 2 and Cheerful Cursive. I can see where it would be a relief to get him into the HOD language arts giving you much less to juggle.

We enjoyed "Bigger.." very much and hope you will too! Placing a whole family in various levels of HOD does take a little tweaking, but when you get it right it is well worth the effort!

Blessings,
Carrie :D

coconuts

Post by coconuts » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:49 am

I decided to put him in Bigger and all of his sisters. His brother will do LHTH or LHFHG.

Yea, that will only be 2 programs for 5 kids! :D