Comparing HOD and MFW

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Comparing HOD and MFW

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi gals! Well, let me first say that I think both MFW and HOD are written by strong Christian homeschool families, and even though I use HOD and am the author's sister, I feel that having both of these Christian programs available to homeschooling families is wonderful. I have not used MFW, although I've looked at it quite extensively. I have used each of HOD's programs so far, which up to this point have been for ages 7-9. I think it is hard to say MFW is meatier than HOD because HOD is just coming out with Preparing... which is targeted at age 8-10, so it's really not in the same age-range as MFW's older programs to which it's being compared. My thinking is that of course MFW's programs look meatier, because they're for older dc!

However, I do think that the 2 companies are very different in their philosophies, so it is really a matter of finding what suits your philsophy best. I'll point out a few of the more major differences in philosophy and design between these 2 truly excellent companies to show you what I mean.

MFW teaches to the olders and brings the youngers along. HOD does the reverse and targets the age listed on their guides and then beefs up with their extension pack for the olders.

MFW teaches to larger age spans within each guide to encourage the group learning concept. HOD targets smaller age increments to really hit children's developmental level.

HOD is very much of a literature company, so there is more emphasis on that, while MFW really doesn't cover literature study unless you add Progeny Press guides. At HOD literature study is formally taught and scheduled, while MFW uses the book basket for reading.

HOD is about teaching kids to read with discernment and use the Bible as their moral compass in living their day-to-day life, while MFW seems to have more of a missions focus.

HOD looks at every aspect of your day and balances that all in one guide. MFW hits your history, science, and Bible and gives suggestions for the rest for you to add in as you feel best.

HOD focuses on formally teaching your kids language arts skills like written narration, oral narration, dictation, notebooking, etc. so kiddos can eventually take these over on their own. It includes lessons on these areas written right into your daily plan and spends time "teaching" children to do each of these skills well. MFW is more general in its instructions.

HOD incrementally moves kiddos through skills in each guide working toward the goal of more independent readings/learning CM-style. MFW retains the read-aloud to a group format throughout its guides as the primary method of instruction.

The read-alouds in any HOD guide are meant to be at or slightly above the child's listening level, so they aren't needing to be paraphrased. MFW readings are targeted to the older audience and the little ones are brought along.

HOD includes literature study every day and the Bible is integrated throughout almost all subject areas with direct application to the history being studied. (Entire Psalms will be memorized in Preparing.... It uses and studies the entire passage from Scripture once you get past LHFHG.) HOD is systematic, manageable, and deep in its Scripture study. I am assuming that MFW is deep in its Scripture study as well.

Both are definitely designed for the family setting. However, HOD has a lesson plan layout of a day at a glance that may remind you of a teacher lesson plan book. That feature may give it a schoolish feel, but is also what makes it open and go. MFW uses the common week-at-a-glance format.

I, for one, am thankful that there are excellent Christian companies like HOD and MFW. I think that the decisions on which one is right for your family comes down to your philosophy and which one fits you better. It is not a matter of better, only more suitable for you. As you can see these 2 companies approach learning in 2 very different ways. How blessed we are to have both of them for excellent Christian homeschool choices!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Great job, Julie! We need a folder (calling Mike!) for FAQ and this post should be there. These two curriculums seem to attract the same like-minded families and this is a very non-biased comparison.
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Julie, this is an excellent comparison! It summarizes why HOD is best for my family, but I love that this might show another family just the opposite. Not better or worse, just different! :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:04 am

Julie,
you have a way with words that is so gentle and strong. Thank you for making this board a blessing and as sweet as honey!
Dorla

Lisa E

Post by Lisa E » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:25 pm

This is a great comparison and after researching both programs a great deal I would like to add something to Julie's list.

HOD offers a flexibility in their curriculum that is unlike any other curriculum that I have researched so far which makes it so easy for hs parents to purchase according to their children's needs.

Thanks HOD for packaging your product in such a way that gives so many options for parents that have materials and books in their homes an libraries already. It is so affordable.

Lisa

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:12 pm

This maybe a dumb question, but what is MFW? I'm sure it is a cirriculum that I read about, but it isn't ringing any bells.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Lisa E

Post by Lisa E » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:31 pm

It is My Father's World curriculum, mfwbooks.com

Lisa

Evergreen Mama

Post by Evergreen Mama » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:57 am

Thank you for posting this here. It does all the work for me that I had been trying to formulate in my mind. MFW was the first curriculum that attracted me four years ago and so it was always kinda "in the back of my mind" wondering if I was overlooking a good program. But HOD just settled in my heart more. So, this post clarified that HOD just fits me, my family and our goals better. Thank you again for the time to post.
Davena
Wife to Garrett, Mom to four kiddos

Sandi_NC

Post by Sandi_NC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Julie ~ that is an excellent comparison!

We are former users of MFW (K, 1st, Adventures and tried to use ECC) and MFW is a wonderful company. That said, I have such peace about our decision to use HOD and Bigger and I'm still amazed at how much better it 'fits' our family.

Also for us, the flexibility that HOD offers *us* in adjusting it for our children's ages and abilities is making a huge impact on our upcoming school year. And this Momma is taking a huge sigh of relief!
Sandi in NC ~ Wife to Bill and Momma to William (11), Lizzie (10) and Anna (9)

hsmomof5

Re: Comparing HOD and MFW

Post by hsmomof5 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:16 pm

nt

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm bumping this because it's an excellent comparison of the two programs, and I know a lot of people still compare the two companies.

shaffer96

Post by shaffer96 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for doing this comparison. I have spent hours researching both curriculums! One thing I would like to add is that for Kindergarten MFW provides a reading program, which was too basic for us since my dd already knows her letters and sounds and is reading short stories on her own. I like that you can choose your own reading program with HOD!
DD 8 - BHFHG
DS 5 1/2 - LHFHG
DS 4 - Enjoying preschool toys and workbooks.

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 pm

We looked into MFW but said nothing compared to HOD =) I am excited to go to a Homeschool Convention this year and not have to sort through tons of stuff to figure out what we are doing next year...it is all coming in one box! :D Thanks Julie! And big thanks to Carrie! :D :D
Misty
Mommy to 6!

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:36 am

I've enjoyed reading this post, thank for bumping it!

I switched from MFW to HOD, because of many of the reasons identified by Julie - i.e., we needed a stronger literature element, and we needed to work with each child at a developmentally appropriate level. I was drawn to MFW because of the mission and geography emphasis, BUT the other needs became more prevalent and I really needed an open and go plan. I still enjoy perusing the MFW catalog...that may become our highschool option. We'll see where God leads.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:35 am

I, too, was so glad this was bumped. I have both catalogs and just didn't quite know how to compare the two, yet HOD seemed to settle with me more. It is great to see the similarities/differences instead of "which is better". I no longer debate if I made the right decision for my family. HOD is more our philosophy and I am sure MFW works for other like-minded folks with a little different philosophy of schooling.
Julie you do have a way with words.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger