Question about dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tracee

Question about dictation

Post by Tracee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:01 am

We are using the dictation in Bigger, and my ds usually writes it correctly the first time. When we do it the next day, should I have him repeat the previous days dictation plus do the current dictation for that day or do I just do the current dictation for that day? BTW, he loves writing the dictation passages. He said it is so much more fun than just writing out spelling words. :o This is coming from a severely dyslexic boy who couldn't stand to write and could only read simple words last year. The Lord is so good and faithful!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Are the dictation passages in Bigger equivalent to 3rd grade? It isn't really a big deal, because they are at his level regardless. I'm mostly curious to see how much progress we've made in the last year.
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

holdinon

Re: Question about dictation

Post by holdinon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:52 am

If he gets the dictation correct (including spelling, capitals, all punctuation), then he can move on to the next one :D .
Congratulations on the progress. Dictation has been great for my dyslexic ds also, as well as for my non-dyslexic, but previously awful spelling dd :wink: .

I'm not sure about the grade level (I don't think there is a specific grade level, but I'm not sure). Each of my dc that are doing dictation started at different ages/grades.
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

Tracee

Re: Question about dictation

Post by Tracee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:24 am

Thank you! I'll just keep moving on. :D
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10