DITHOR HELP!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mothermayi

DITHOR HELP!

Post by mothermayi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:24 am

We are new to DITHOR and my 5th and 6th graders really don't like it. However, I really do like it. It really forces them to think and pay attention to their readings. Is it normal for kids to repulse DITHOR in the beginning? We haven't done a lot of formal reading programs, maybe 1 for a year but that's it. What can I do to make it more enjoyable? Part of me wants to say it is what it is and not everything is going to be fun. I intend to stick with it at least for this school year bc I can definitely see the advantage of completing the program. Yet, I don't want them to cringe when I say it's time for reading. I really don't want to suck the joy out of reading, particularly for my 6th grader who has finally learned to like reading books. What can I do??

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

MomtoJGJE

Re: DITHOR HELP!

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:32 am

You could go back a reading level for each of them. Let them read books that are easy for them to actually physically read. Then they could concentrate more on the DITHOR work than the physical reading. That has helped my kids. My 5th grader reads fluently right at grade level, but she's reading the DITHOR level 3 books, which are about a grade level below where she is. My 3rd grader reads about a 4th grade level fluently, but she's in level two books, which again... about a grade level below where she can comfortably read. The books in the sets get harder as the year progresses (as they should), so they are still progressing with their actual physical reading, but not uncomfortably so.

The other thing you could do would be to go half speed with DITHOR. Split the books into 30 sections instead of 15. That would give them less reading each day. They'd just read one day and then do the work and read the next day. That has also helped my oldest in the past.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:20 am

That is so strange because my DD loves DITHR. I won't say it isn't challenging to her. It is difficult and I have helped her through a lot of the assignments, especially at first. She is probably also more used to the analysis and discussion because the Storytime discussions in the other guides are along the same lines as DITHR discussion.

Can they tell you why they don't like it? If its the difficulty then I would also say have them move to easier level books. My DD is an avid reader, but I asked on here and was advised, especially for the first time doing it, to choose a lower level. I am glad I did. I notice you have them in 4/5 and 6/7/8 level too, I would say for a 6th grader who had never done it before you would probably do 4/5. Do you think the assignments in 6/7/8 are significantly more difficult? Also if they are both doing 4/5 that may make your life a little easier, doing the same thing with each of them.

Are you doing DITHR every day? Because of the time involved, most people do it 3X/week, and try to pick days that are lighter in other subjects so it balances out the work load.

Another thought is that I know they are supposed to be largely independent in reading their pages and doing the assignments at that level, but maybe as you are starting out you could do it along with them for a while? Again, it may take them some time to get used to what is being asked of them. I know whenever we move up a level in the guides there is a lot more involvement at the beginning as we are getting them used to what they need to do. Then after a few weeks, it gets easier and faster and the children can do more on their own.

I hope this helps.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MitchellFamily

Post by MitchellFamily » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 am

I would check their reading levels as well. Independent reading levels are higher than instructional reading levels (by one year about), so that would make a difference. Also my son hates to write but loves to draw, so in the boxes where drawing could be an option, I let him do that in the workbook. It's amazing how much time and detail he'll put into it when he can draw about it.
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:14 pm

I would pay close attention to whether it's the book or just when they have to do work. My kids groan on the days they have workbook pages. I frequently have to tell my oldest to stop reading ahead. So, take a look to see if its the fact that the activities and workbook pages make them "work" instead if just enjoying the reading.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks! We are currently using books that are a year below grade level and the 6/7/8 workbook isn't *much* harder than the 4/5 book. There are a few more questions and things and ds11 understands what is being asked of him. We do DITHOR 3x per week. However, I have them stop after 30 minutes bc I don't like to have my students working on a single subject for an hour or more at this age. So after 30 minutes they stop and if they haven't finished, they just finish it the next day but they do NOT begin the new day's work that day. I asked them what didn't they like about the program and it seems as though it takes the joy out of reading for them because they have to read this, answer that. Personally, I like the fact that it makes them slow down. I asked them if they didn't like it bc it made them think and they just smirked and grinned without an answer. I think that is what it is. They don't want to stretch their brains and actually think :wink: .

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:57 am

Well, given that they are probably learning new skills and new ways of looking at what they read, it probably is hard for them. As a young person I loved to read but I was horrible with comprehension and retention of what I learned. I remember sitting in English class and listening to the teacher and the discussion and thinking "wow, they got that out of the book? I didn't see that at all." Critical thinking and analysis don't come naturally to most people. When my DD is struggling with those things (granted she is younger than your kids) I just discuss with her and that helps a lot. That's why I suggested maybe you sit with them and help them work through some of it, or give them a direction to get started on. Are you reading the books too?
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven