*Placement help for 6 kids, please?!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mamochka5

*Placement help for 6 kids, please?!

Post by Mamochka5 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi ladies,

I have researched so much that now I am confused. We have started the year doing this:

DD (6), DS (8), and DD (9) doing Beyond together. LA and Math are all specific to them. (We don't use Singapore. We are trying out Math Mammoth this year.)

1st grader: I've started FLL with her because I'm afraid the poetry copywork in Beyond is too much for her right now. She reads pretty well (as well, if not better than my 8 y.o.), can print all of her letters, and writes several words in her ETC 2 workbook. We have not started copywork yet, and I don't want to stress her out. I want her to enjoy school and she's only 6. :)

My 8 y.o. (he just turned 8 last week and is officially 3rd grade) can copy a sentence or two with no real issues, but isn't great about writing sentences on his own. He is doing ETC 2, Growing with Grammar 2 (finishing from last year), and is just starting the Beyond copywork.

I was trying to pair up my 9 y.o. and 11 y.o. daughters using Notgrass American History, simply because we started using it last year, but it is geared toward 5-8th grade and my 9 y.o. has eyes that glaze over as I read. My 11 y.o. just told me that she thinks it's a little dry, too, and fights me when it comes out. (I find it dry to read aloud, actually, even though as a spine to read silently, I still think it's good for that purpose.) So, now what?? So, my 9 y.o. has been joining the other two for the Beyond readings because she likes them better. But, she's in 4th grade. She is doing GWG 3, loves to do copywork, and has begun cursive the end of last year. She is still learning it. She seems to like the gentler side of things. I want to challenge her, but also want her to love it.

I was trying to keep the 6 and 8 y.o. together, and the 11 and 9 y.o. together. My oldest is starting high school this year, and while he loved the guides, he said he would have liked it better if he had had one of his siblings to do it with. Maybe I could keep the 6, 8, and 9 y.o. together and the 11 y.o. could do her own (Preparing??) Or, the 6 y.o. and 11 y.o. would be on their own and pair up the middle two?

I also am trying to make my life easier. I know ladies on here run several guides at once, but I can't do that. Also, that gets too expensive for us. I already own Beyond. :)

Some options I am kicking around are keep the 6 and 8 in Beyond and the 9 and 11 in Bigger or Preparing? My 11 y.o. needs a writing curriculum, which I see scheduled in Preparing, but not in Bigger, so I would lean toward preparing over Bigger. I don't think she is yet ready for CTC (which I also own.) She is able to do copywork and has had 1.5 years of IEW (which we really like.) It's more she doesn't necessarily have the most wonderful attitude about doing the copywork. :cry: OR, another possibility....the 6 y.o. in LHFHG, 8 and 9 in Bigger and 11 in Preparing?? Ugh...I also have a 3 y.o. and 9th grader that I need to pay attention to. :)

I have to order my ds's high school curriculum, but have to figure this out first so I can order. :? My husband is not going to want me to order 4 new programs right now, though. Sigh.

Please give your suggestions. I want to place them correctly and pair them when I can because they really enjoy that more (and it's easier for me, who is stressed.) Maybe Carrie can chime in?? Please?

Thank you!! :D
Liz

Mom to 6:
H: 10th (15) World History
S: 7th (13) RtR
I: 5th (11) Preparing
E: 4th (9) Beyond
K: 2nd (8) Beyond
B: (5 y.o.) LHTH

MomtoJGJE

Re: *Placement help for 6 kids, please?!

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:58 pm

A couple of questions... first, have you looked at the placement chart individually?

Why do you think your 11yo couldn't do CTC? That might help me better.... and might help more knowledgeable people know what to say better too. The Student Notebook pages in CTC have really helped my DD know what to do and when... she can see if she's missed anything at the end of the unit (and if I've missed anything!) It also makes it more fun for her.

For the 6yo... I would keep her in Beyond if she's able to do everything aside from the copy work. My 6yo is in Beyond and we are finishing up a handwriting book before I start her with the copy work. She's able to do all the rest of the work she's supposed to do.

Is the 8yo enjoying Beyond? If so, then I'd probably keep them combined :)

As for the 9yo... I'm not sure... From what you've said I'd be inclined to put her in either Bigger or Preparing. If they'd enjoy working together you could combine the 9 and 11 year old in Preparing... and if you decide CTC is good for the 11, then maybe use Bigger for the 9yo. It's similar history to the Beyond, but it is a bit more (for her being in 4th grade)

Mamochka5

Post by Mamochka5 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for responding. My 11 year old has not come up through the guides, so not a lot of dictation or formal writing, etc. I also think she could probably use a little more practice in writing before doing CTC. I remember some of the history books being a little "higher" (Guerber), also. She has done IEW, so maybe she would be okay with it. I seem to remember it using IEW for that time period. I'm not sure. I thought if I put her and my 9 y.o. in Preparing, they could both do CTC together next year. Of course, my 11 y.o. has had next to no American History b/c we seem to be jumping around. I really don't want to put the oldest in Bigger, I don't think. I think Preparing or maybe CTC.

I was wondering about my 6 y.o. hitting CTC in 4th grade. To me, that seems pretty young (going from the workload and level of reading). I know some people do it. It just seems young to me.

Thanks! :)

I'd love all suggestions! :)
Liz

Mom to 6:

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:24 pm

I would keep the 6 and 8 yo together if they are both doing fine with Beyond right now. As for the copy work, remember that it is only 5 minutes of their best writing. If that is only 1 sentence for now, that is fine. The goal is to have them writing the whole thing by the end of the year. But, if the poem is just too daunting for the 6yo to look at, you could have her copy the Bible verse for the week, again as much as she can do in 5 minutes.

And if you think the 9yo could do preparing, then I would probably go that route. I have read that it is a good transition to the higher guides. I would look at the placement chart and make sure the 9yo would place there though first.

As for the 6yo hitting CTC at 4th grade, you could always do half speed at some point if she isn't ready for it.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello & Welcome to the HOD board!

Just wanted to quickly pop on to tell you I have lifted you up in prayer. Choosing can be so tough and after using several of the guides I know how much smoother things run when you have all of your children placed properly!

The ideal seems like you might have

3 - LHTH
6 - LHFHG
8 - BLHFHG
9 - BIGGER
11 - Preparing or CTC
9th - World Geo

Ha, Ha, Ha! For obvious reasons, that is just not going to work out very well. Not only are back to back guides not good to do, but that would make too many! That is tough on time, and of course, your budget. :-)

Usually with Heart of Dakota, you would match up your younger child to the guide that fits them and then "beef it up" to make it more meaty for your older child. I am not the best person to try to help make decisions on placement, so I am sure someone more qualified than I will jump on the board to help you. Of course you can always call or email HOD and they can help you as well. My .02 says that your best option would be to buy Preparing Hearts & the Geography guide. Place your 9 & 11 year old together in preparing, which will begin them working more independently.

It is tough when you have a larger family to stretch and meet all the needs. The Lord will guide your path and help to provide. Do you have any old curriculum you would be willing to part with in order to buy what you need? I encourage you to keep asking questions until you feel peace about what your best avenue is going to be. There are so many lovely ladies here to help you. :D

May God bless you and help you.
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Sorry! I was back and forth on the computer. Looks like you are getting lots of great advice so far! See how many wonderful ladies there are here! :D

Let us know what you think and how you decide.

Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for sharing about your dc here! The ladies have given some great ideas to ponder. Having read the entire thread, you've given more and more insight that is helpful in placement - thanks! From what you've shared, I think your 6 and 8 yo can continue in Beyond Little Hearts, but I'd slow it down to 4 days a week, and down the road, do the same with Bigger Hearts. They will need to be writing more to be able to move on to Bigger Hearts, so I would try to have dd do just 1 sentence of copywork of Beyond each day. I'd have ds do 2-3 sentences of copywork. You can always start Bigger Hearts half-speed, so I think these two will be set. :D

It sounds like your 9 and 11 yo would be nicely paired in "Preparing Hearts..." provided your 9 yo is able to read the science and the portion of history that is meant to be read independently, independently. This will be important for moving on to CTC the following year. If the 9 yo cannot do this, or is not very close to being able to do this, I'd lean toward pairing that child with the Beyond duo now, and beef it up in the LA/math areas as needed. Your 11 yo may need the PHFHG extensions, if that child is a good reader and comprehends well.

For your oldest, I don't know much about that student. What HOD guide(s) has that child completed, when were they completed, and were they a solid fit for placement? Just because a student is a 9th grader, that doesn't mean the World Geography guide is the best fit. I'd love to hear a bit more about this student, if you get the chance. Hope something here has helped! :D

Oh, and you could easily have the 9 yo, the 11 yo, and the 9th grader take turns doing portions of "Little Hands to Heaven" with the 3 yo with the younger resources! We did this, and it provided the 3 yo with great learning, the older dc with a chance to spend purposeful time with the 3 yo, and the mama (a.k.a. ME :lol: ) with some needed freed up time to work with another child - as well as the opportunity to hop in and teach whatever box(es) I felt like in LHTH for the day with my little honey. :D This could be started mid-year, or whenever it is helpful. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mamochka5

Post by Mamochka5 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi Julie,

Thank you for responding! I posted this response to you in both places b/c I'm not sure which thread you will check. :)

Regarding my 9th grader, going through the placement chart, I don't see a huge difference in writing requirements, as far as length of narrations, etc. unless I'm missing something. (??) It's hard to tell just from the boxes. He had an intense writing/literature analysis class outside of the home last school year and it really has improved his writing. He loves to read....and read. :) Grammar-wise, he has just finished Growing with Grammar 7 (which lines up fairly well in scope and sequence with Rod and Staff, but is strictly grammar, unlike R&S, which also has writing assignments).

No matter which guide we do, we won't be doing the Science boxes, as he is doing an honors Physical Science this year, and will hopefully continue with that path the next three years. I think I mentioned that he is required to do a research paper this year for that class. It will require analysis, research, and writing skills, as he will be using Physical Science to argue for creation vs. evolution. :) We would also not do the foreign language box, as we are doing Russian on our own. So, history, English/writing/literature, Bible, and Algebra are what we need! :D

My concerns with doing Rev to Rev in 9th (instead of the Geography guide) are:

1) It may require quite a bit of tweaking that will make the open and go format be lost and; therefore, make it less independent.

2) Credits. If he does Rev to Rev and MTMM and those are his American history years (instead of the upper two guides), how do I schedule in US Government, Personal Finance, Logic, and Economics? He should do US Gov. and Econ when he does US History, but I don't think he should do Gov/Econ. in 9th/10th grade. (??) Also, adding those in (as well as Logic, which will be our elective this year) would mean adding in additional subjects to an already full guide. This is my main sticking point on this. Maybe you can explain how it would work better?? The upper two US History guides will have Econ and Govt already scheduled into their time slots. Is the US History for those two years 1 credit each, or .5 each?? It's hard to plan when they aren't written yet, so I may not be making sense. :)

I'd still appreciate any feedback from you. :) Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Liz

Mom to 6: