Preparing Guide -- Book Idea

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1shortmomof4

Preparing Guide -- Book Idea

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 am

I think I need to switch my current curriculum to the Preparing Guide but would prefer not doing the Life in the Great Ice Age - again (covered in another program). Could I use the Woolly Mammoth book instead?
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

TrueGRIT

Re: Preparing Guide -- Book Idea

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 am

Life in the Great Ice Age is one of the main books in the beginning of this guide. I don't see how you could do without it. I do think however, that you could use Uncovering the Mysterious Woolly Mammoth along with it to get some new material.

We are in Unit 3 of PHFHG and that is what we do - add in Woolly Mammoth book most days. :D
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Just wanted to say- we came from another curriculum that used The Great Ice Age book. We used it again in PHFHG and there were no complaints. HOD covers and utilizes the books very differently. We have not had a problem with any books in the sets that are a repeat because of the difference in style of HOD. I would encourage you to go ahead and use all the books as written in the Guide. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:12 pm

doubleportion wrote:Just wanted to say- we came from another curriculum that used The Great Ice Age book. We used it again in PHFHG and there were no complaints. HOD covers and utilizes the books very differently. We have not had a problem with any books in the sets that are a repeat because of the difference in style of HOD. I would encourage you to go ahead and use all the books as written in the Guide. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Edie
I completely agree with this. We had the same experience.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!