Testing after HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MarciaA

Testing after HOD?

Post by MarciaA » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Ok, I have already decided on LHFHG for next year, but just wanted experiences with testing. (I know, I know, equivalent to a 4 letter word, but humor me :lol: ).

I am a former teacher so the testing thing is just ingrained, plus my state requires testing. Of course I want him to do well.

So, I was just curious what your experiences have been after using HOD when testing time came. From what I see, it looks like he'd have to do very well, but I just like to hear from those of you that have been there, done that.
Homeschooling Mommy in NC to
Jackson, K
and one wild 1 year old, Carson

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:51 am

I will just say that we are about to test and I looked over the test and was very relieved. We do not even have to turn in results but I have never tested before. But I feel like my kids are perfectly prepared and I know they will do fine. That is not a really complete answer but it is the only one I have. :lol:

I know there was a thread about this a while ago so hopefully some others will chime in too.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:15 pm

We have to test yearly, and my kiddos haven't ever had anything they felt unprepared to answer. We give the Iowa Basics Skills test yearly.

Blessings,
Carrie

Carly

Post by Carly » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:00 pm

We're in the midst of the Stanford right now, but not after doing HOD.
With R/Staff english, spelling and math of our choice, the rest is content areas and reading concepts covered by HOD. I think it's very well rounded and won't worry a bit about testing when we're using HOD.
Carly

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:49 pm

My daughter took the CAT. It's the one with all the subjects and she did very well, IMO. I just wished some of the questions were just a bit more clearer. Some could have gone a different direction but I guess they ment to do that. The science and social studies was again really general. I was so worried about multiplication and division and there were only 2 multiplication problems on the test and no division. I didn't give her the test, my mom did while I kept the littles contained. This past school year she used Rod and Staff, half of Beyond and a 1/3 of Bigger before taking the test.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:06 pm

We've done all of HOD's guides, and we just finished Bigger Hearts for His Glory before testing a few weeks ago. My ds did very well on all areas of the test. I credit HOD's guides for preparing him so well for the testing. I thought he'd be nervous about it, but he wasn't stressed at all. If testing can ever actually be a "positive" experience, this came pretty close to i! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie