Help In Deciding What Program for 7 and 10 yo.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bamamomof2

Help In Deciding What Program for 7 and 10 yo.

Post by bamamomof2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:34 am

After struggling between HOD and SL - I've finally decided on HOD but I don't know which program to use for my children 7 and 10. I will only be able to use one program right now. If I could do two programs it would be Beyond and Preparing but I can't get two right now. I think Beyond would work nicely for my 7yo but not sure about my 10yo. I'm not sure about Bigger for the 7yo would it be too difficult??

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Mary Ann

jsusgrl

Post by jsusgrl » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:07 am

Hi Mary Ann,:-)
I am new here and have children of similar ages as you. My daughter is 6 (turning 7 in December- but finishing 1st grade homeschooling) and my son who is 8 (turning 9 in Nov.) I plan to use HOD for the first time and am very excited!! I also have a highschooler whom I homeschool.
I am leaning heavily towrads Beyond with my 2 youngest and just doing the Bigger Lang. Arts and Math, writing for my 8 yr old and Drawing to add to his reading. that was the advice I have been given bu the wonderful ladies on the board as i also wish to use one program instead of 2. I want to combine as many subjects as possible to make it easier!:-) I'm sure the other more knowledgeble and experienced ladies will have some great advice for you:-)
God bless you.
Angie

bookworm

Post by bookworm » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Welcome!
I'm struggling with the same issue and got some great advice in my post below "Why oh Why do I torture myself." Be sure to check it out.

If you do Beyond you could use some of the read-a-louds as independent readers for your older one. This was the advice I got.

If you do Bigger you could still use all the material for both since there is the emerging reader set for the younger one. You'd have to use different LA and math for each but that's not too hard to tweak.

Be sure to look at the placement chart (I don't know the link but it's in my other post I mentioned) it's very helpful.

Good luck,
Ann

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Hello and welcome I think if you could do only one program Bigger would be your best bet. Would it be possible to purchase just the manual of Beyond for LA and Math? Sometimes you can just use the manual to get that part of the program and that helps to make the other a better fit. Then your older child might benefit from the extension pack. Another thought is perhaps you could leave the second half of the books until you actually need them and just start out with what you need now. Not sure if that would work for you.

Anyway just want to say welcome. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carly

Post by Carly » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Welcome and agreeing with water2wine.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:25 am

Mary Ann,

I just wanted to welcome you to the board! :D We're glad to have you here.

The ladies are doing a great job of helping you talk through options. It really helps to hear a variety of perspectives, as each family's dynamics is so different. If you get a chance to look at the placement chart linked here that would help us all help you better:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1432

I'm thinking with the ages of your kiddos and with what you've shared so far that "Bigger..." (with extension package for your older) would work well. The target age range for "Bigger..." is 7-9 with extensions for ages 10-11. You may also need the "Beyond..." guide for language arts and math for your younger child, depending on where that kiddo is at in those areas. :D

If your 7 year old can copy well, listen to chapter books read aloud, is emerging or independent as a reader, is ready for cursive handwriting, ready for formal grammar with Rod and Staff English 2, and is ready for 2A/2B math, she could do the language arts/math scheduled in "Bigger..." and wouldn't need the Beyond... guide for those areas.

For your 10 year old, you will most likely need to beef up the language arts and possibly the math scheduled in "Bigger...". :wink:

Beyond will be too young overall academically for your 10 year old, since the target range for that guide is ages 6-8.

So, for combining your best scenario is going to be "Bigger...". Let us know what you're thinking once you check out the placement chart!

Blessings,
Carrie

bamamomof2

Post by bamamomof2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:56 pm

Thank you all so much for your help. After much prayer and discussing the options with my husband we've decided to use Bigger (with extension package) with our 10yo son and Beyond for our 7yo daughter.

Again thank you all for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings,
Mary Ann

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:02 pm

That sounds great! :D I don't know if I ever welcomed you, but I wanted to ask if you're from Alabama?? I grew up in MS.

:D :D :D WELCOME :D :D :D
and glad you picked HOD! You're going to LOVE it!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

bamamomof2

Post by bamamomof2 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:32 am

Melanie,

Thanks for the welcome - yes I am from Alabama. (RTR!!!!)

:D
Mary Ann

Sandi_NC

Post by Sandi_NC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi Mary Ann,

Just wanted to say Hello!

We are also getting ready to use HOD starting next week. We decided to go with Bigger for our children (ages 8, 9 & 10) as well and we're anxious to get started!

Welcome aboard!
Sandi in NC ~ Wife to Bill and Momma to William (11), Lizzie (10) and Anna (9)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:51 pm

bamamomof2 wrote:yes I am from Alabama. (RTR!!!!)
My dh had two roommates in college...one was an Auburn fan and one was a Alabama fan. He still...20 years later...calls them after games!! :shock: :lol:

:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:59 pm

bamamomof2 wrote:Thank you all so much for your help. After much prayer and discussing the options with my husband we've decided to use Bigger (with extension package) with our 10yo son and Beyond for our 7yo daughter.
That sounds great. You could have made it work the other way and it would have been fine but it is really nice to be able to do it the way that is the absolute best for each child. And good news is next year you will only be needing one program since you will already have Bigger for the one doing Beyond this year. It is so economical to be able to hand down like that!

Glad you found the right decision for you! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:16 pm

Hey-I grew up in Alabama...and lived in Auburn for 4 years because DH went to college there. If you live in Alabama, you're either an Auburn or Alabama fan!