So thankful to have found HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alhempel

So thankful to have found HOD

Post by alhempel » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I just want to say how thankful I am to have found HOD. My kids begged to do school today ( a Sunday) and to read more of our story time books aloud. This from my 7 year old who hated anything school related up to this year. I am running 3 guides with 4 kids, have a 17 month old, plus am teaching two high school kids on top of that and still feel quite on top of it all. It's been only one week but am so glad I made this choice. My high school kids are listening in on Resurrection to Reformation which they will be able to tie into their world history later this year. All in all we are excited for school this week. What more could I ask for?
Alison

I-15- completed World History Guide
T-14- completed World Geography Guide
E -8 completed Bigger w/ emerging readers
M-6 In Beyond w/ Emerging Readers
G- 3 years and ready to start some school
C- 4 1/2 months

jenn in nc

Re: So thankful to have found HOD

Post by jenn in nc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 am

That's wonderful! We're just starting this week, and I admit I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Would love to hear how you're pulling it all together.

Jenn
Jenn, mom to 10

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:38 am

Just wanted to pipe in my agreements with having found HOD this year! It is such a pleasure! My 7yo son and 5yo daughter are both doing LHFHG this year together. I was just telling my hubby last night how much easier is it to do school this year. Having the fun projects already planned out for me and connected to the topics we are studying is so wonderful! I especially feel so much at ease knowing a qualified teacher, who knows the scope and sequence of what needs to be covered each year, has divided the work up into do-able daily chunks. When we finish each day in our guide, I am so relaxed knowing we have done enough work for the day. The kids love the fun projects and activities and it helps them remember what we are learning. The other night, my daughter (5) was commenting on the stars as she could see them from her window. "They look small, but they are really big like the sun, except they are so far away that they look small to us. Just like the flashlights, mom!" I would have never thought of that flashlight activity and yet it cemented in that fact about stars for her. SO cool! Thank you again!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 pm

I have used a lot of different curriculum over the years, and I have to say that when I found HOD, it was an answer to prayer. Having a struggling child, I didn't know what direction to go with her. All I knew was that I needed to bring her home, after a frustrating year of K in our Christian school. She is the only one homeschooled now, so she can benefit from all my attention. I appreciate HOD very much. This is more than just another homeschool curriculum. HOD ministers to the spiritual needs of our children and teaches them so much more than the 3 R's and history and science. Although we had to take a break to focus on some much needed attention in reading and math, my heart has always been here. My impulsiveness during our frustrations in February, led me to believe we needed to make a change. Well, the Lord has confirmed again to me what I had said when I found HOD more than 3 years ago....I have no desire to look for anything else. All I needed was some help in dealing with my dd's special needs, and the Lord led in that area as well. Now that I understand better the needs of my dd and I am seeing progress in these areas, I am so looking forward to Preparing next year. I've been counting down the months. :wink: Lord willing, I plan to be here for a long stretch. :D :D :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

Oh, ladies! :D This thread blessed my heart beyond measure. I am so glad that your families are enjoying HOD. We pray the Lord may richly bless your school year.

Blessings,
Carrie

alhempel

Post by alhempel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm

To Jenn in nc, I use my mornings geared toward the two high schoolers and the two kids I have using resurrection to reformation. I have my little ones play, do art, experiments, or seat work they can do independently. Then after lunch our littlest one takes a nap and I work with E and M. At that point my older kids have work they are finishing on their own. In the past I tried to have my older ones work independently in the mornings while I worked with the younger ones but found they were always interrupting with questions. This year is working wonderfully and we are typically done by 2:30 or 3.
Alison

I-15- completed World History Guide
T-14- completed World Geography Guide
E -8 completed Bigger w/ emerging readers
M-6 In Beyond w/ Emerging Readers
G- 3 years and ready to start some school
C- 4 1/2 months

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:35 am

Yay! :D I'm so happy it's going well for you!

We are new to HOD as well. We started our first guide (LHTH) in February and loved it so much we added in Beyond for my older DD soon after!

Thanks for sharing :wink:
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months