Teaching LHTH out of order

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mothermayi

Teaching LHTH out of order

Post by mothermayi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Is there an advantage to teaching LHTH in order? I want to do it out of order so my PREK student can follow the same schedule as my kindy. It seems like it would be easier for my PreK to learn the letter that her sis is learning bc she sits in on her sister's kindy activities. Is LHTH conducive to this or is the letter order specifically done alphabetically for a reason? Thanks!

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

MitchellFamily

Re: Teaching LHTH out of order

Post by MitchellFamily » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:48 pm

If I remember right, I believe the rhymes for the letters go with the Bible stories, which are in order. So that part would be out of order.
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

MelInKansas

Re: Teaching LHTH out of order

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Yep, she's right. The Bible stories go along with the letter for the week. But I don't see that as a big problem. Now, there are sometimes that a story (or a person) goes across 2 weeks. We just did the 2 units about David. There are certainly several units in a row about Jesus. That all might get confused if you did them majorly out of order. I guess your K child is doing them in phonic-lesson order? I would keep LHTH as-is if you can. Let each of them learn 2 letters in a week (they can do activities together for both, or if you are doing an activity maybe you can put each child's letter of the week on their own page).

I also think that if you get through about 1/3 of it you might find it a benefit, that you could use review. Like, the LHTH kid's rhyme would help your K child remember the letter and sound they've already learned. And vice-versa, it would be good review for the other one.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven