Bigger Unit 4 Day 2 Science - need help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jer2911mom

Bigger Unit 4 Day 2 Science - need help

Post by jer2911mom » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi,

We are having trouble identifying which of the worms pictured on p. 39 are the roundworms and which are the segmented worms. My dd drew a Red Lineus Worm as a roundworm and Googling is not helping me determine if that is right. It looks like leeches are segmented worms, so I am assuming the Limulus Leech she drew was correct. Does anyone have a breakdown of which of the worms on this page are roundworms and which are segmented worms? We have lost a lot of time today trying to figure this out and I can't find any distinctions or teaching on this in the book.

Thanks,
Kathy

julsoliveira

Re: Bigger Unit 4 Day 2 Science - need help

Post by julsoliveira » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Hmm... I already packed our guide book, but looking at her notebook entry, she did the oval flatworm. Is there an option on which to do? But I think you're on the right track!

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks, they also do a flatworm, but are supposed to do a roundworm and a segmented worm as well.

Kathy

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 pm

I had trouble with this as well and ended up spending a little time online researching these worms. I believe that the worms should be flat worms,ribbon worms, and segmented worms. Ribbon worms include the Red Lineus worm and the milky ribbon worm. The flat worms have "flatworm" in the name, and I think nearly all of the others are segmented worms, including the leech. So, my kids didn't include round worms, but did flat worms, ribbon worms, and segmented worms instead.

I think next time I do Bigger I may just have my son write "worms," and let him choose just one worm to draw. :)

Actually this assignment took us quite a while too. Since we were doing it on a Friday, we ended up completing it on Saturday. This week in Unit 7 Day 2 we ended up completing our science notebooking on Saturday too. It seems the science notebooking can be quite time-consuming for us, and sometimes it is a lot of writing for my younger daughter. However, they are doing a great job with it and it is already really neat to flip through and see what they've accomplished. I think their science notebooks will be a treasure by the end of the year!
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks, farmfamily! I appreciate your sharing what you found. I was having a really hard time finding the information I needed online. I did see more on ribbon worms than roundworms, like you mentioned.

We are finding the science notebooking to be time-consuming for us as well, but like you, I think the notebooks will be a treasure by the end of the year. I imagine as my dd8 gets used to doing that much writing, her speed will increase as well.

Thanks again,
Kathy