information needed about the kits

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dancinkayak11971

information needed about the kits

Post by dancinkayak11971 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm

I am brand new to the entire homeschooling concept and to Hearts of Dakota. When looking at the catalog it is quite confusing. Do I order every subject separately? Is there a way to order all of the subjects? When ordering, is each level for a full year? a semester?

Also, my son has taken the placement test for math, is there also a placement exam for the other subjects? The catalog does not explain each level to my understanding and I am teetering between two levels. How will I know which level I should order for him?

Do the kits come with the materials needed for experiments and projects?

My son has been attending public school. In the public schools in New York, they do not teach cursive writing yet, some of the courses use cursive writing. My son is at the intellectual level of the course but cannot write in cursive. What do I do about this?

MelInKansas

Re: information needed about the kits

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Welcome to the board, and to homeschooling! You have definitely come to the right place to have your questions answered, at least as well as strangers can answer your questions! Many of us on here have been using HOD for many years, so when it comes to HOD-related questions we can help you out.

I think this is in the catalog too, at the beginning, but here is the link for the placement chart. http://heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

The general suggestion is that if your child seems on the borderline between two programs, and you are just getting started with HOD (especially coming from PS), to go with the lower one and add things to challenge them in core subjects, Reading, Writing, Math.

If you come back and share where your child places, or which areas make you question or make your child seem borderline between two guides we can also probably help you figure out which one is best.

HOD is all-inclusive. All subjects are included if you buy the complete package for a guide. And I'm not just talking basic subjects, 3Rs, history, science, etc. Art and music (cooking in higher guides) are also included. Your child will get a well-rounded education just with the materials found in HOD. Each level has 34 weeks of plans (or maybe some have 36, I can't remember) so it takes about a year to complete a level.

School supplies and materials for projects are not included in the set you will buy. Each guide does have a section about setting up, which will tell you how many notebooks you need and which subjects need a notebook, those types of things. Otherwise, as a homeschooler, you just start collecting a supply of school stuff. Many or most of the things you buy for your child for back-to-school are included, along with household items like tinfoil, cooking oil, salt, food coloring, cotton balls, q-tips, etc, mostly things you probably already have on hand. There is no all-inclusive supply list that I know of, though people on here have sometimes written out the ones they remember. Most of the time if I come across a project I don't have the exact materials for there is something I can easily substitute.

I hope this helps!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Some of the science kits do include the materials for the experiments. The only things that wouldn't be included are basic household items. I know this is the case for Revival to Revolution, and it might be the case of some other guides. If a kit like this isn't included, then the materials you will need are things you can easily buy at a grocery/big box store.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

dancinkayak11971

Post by dancinkayak11971 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 am

Thank-You for some of the information. it was very helpful!

I do not have any idea what the reading or history or science levels are. The ages and grades stated on each level of Hearts of Dakota are very different than the levels in the public schools. For instance, Hearts for Him through Time, is for ages 10-12, my son is 11 turning 12 in mid December yet it states a fifth or sixth grade program, he will be entering sixth grade however, I do not know if he will be able to handle the content. Nowhere does it really describe what he will be doing or reading. i need samples or a placement exam.

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 am

Find the titles of the books in the guides you are considering. Look them up on amazon to see if they have a preview page available. Then, check the preview page to see if your son is capable of the reading.

For cursive, just have him do the writing in print, or get a Cheerful Cursive book to teach him, doing two to three pages per day.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:20 am

Probably, if I were you I would start the year with Reation to Christ, because then your son will get the full four year history sequence. You could use extensions if needed, but I imagine that they won't be necessary. It would be better to have an easier year this year, as you venture into homeschooling. Remember, you do,not have to keep up with the public school. Even if your son does a guide that is below his current public school grade, he will work on skills and learn topics that are never covered in public school.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:37 am

The benefit of homeshcooling is that you have some flexibility in where you place your kids. HOD is fairly typical academically in terms of placement, which can often been slightly ahead of public schools. They give age ranges because of how the material is presented. It uses more of a Charlotte Mason method than textbooks (although there is some of both), so maturity is a key factor in placement, not just skills.
Based on what you said, I would look at Creation to Christ (CtC) and Resurrection to Reform (RtR). If you click on the guides for each from the main HOD page, you will see information on what is covered as well as links to download the first week as well as the introduction to the guide. Opening and looking at these will probably help you decide which one he fits better in.

As for ordering, HOD has packages. The Economy package will contain the basics you must have - history. Then there is the science package with everything you need for science (minus basic school supplies and household items). Next is the "Basic" package, which are the read alouds. These are highly suggested, but if funds are tight, not mandatory. After that you will find the options for the language arts (literature, grammar, and writing) and math. Lastly are optional things to aid in the Bible study and memorization. In RtR, there are "required" Bible study books as well. Basically you just do down the packages page, selecting something from each box. You can get more information on any book by clicking on it.
Mom to

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 am

Oh, and Hearts for Him Through Time is the big title of the four year history sequence, that is roughly for 5th-8th grades - Creation to Christ through Missions to Modern Marvels. The high school series is Hearts for Him Through High School. And the K/1st-4th grade sequence are For His Glory.
Mom to

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:42 am

Hi!
MelInKansas gave the link for the placement chart which is a wonderful place to start. Paying particular attention to the skill level in Reading and Writing, will be more important than math, history, and science, etc.

On Heart of Dakota's home page you can click on each guide in his range and it will take you to that guide. From there they have links to show you the Introduction and First Week of lessons. This can also help give you an idea.

The fact that your son has not had cursive, shouldn't stand totally in the way, but he would need to start it this year, because in Preparing Hearts on up, you do use it.
My son is in Preparing Hearts and is not fluent in cursive, although he has studied it, and I do make him practice.

Each guide has a level and not a grade because it goes by skill level and not every child is the same. ( For example, my son and his same age friend are in different guides/levels). Therefore it would be harder to have a placement test, and why they have a chart instead.

Hope this helps some - keep asking questions. Someone will always be here to help.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 am

Motherjoy wrote:Probably, if I were you I would start the year with Reation to Christ, because then your son will get the full four year history sequence. You could use extensions if needed, but I imagine that they won't be necessary. It would be better to have an easier year this year, as you venture into homeschooling. Remember, you do,not have to keep up with the public school. Even if your son does a guide that is below his current public school grade, he will work on skills and learn topics that are never covered in public school.
We must have been writing about the same time. I meant to add something along these lines, but got sidetracked by a child . . .
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:11 pm

What TrueGRIT and StephanieU shared will probably clarify things for you. Click on the placement chart link and it shows for each guide (it looks like you would be considering Creation to Christ (CtC), Ressurection to Reformation, Revival to Revolution, or Missions to Modern Times). Below each it talks about the level on reading and writing, which as TrueGRIT said, are the key things. You can adapt the math and science level according to your needs.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Two things I'd Like to offer up Dancinkayak,

1: You will be amazed at what your kids can handle, as opposed to what you thought they could handle coming out of public school. I know I was! They are capable of so much more than has been asked of them in the public education system.

2: The age ranges are just a suggested placement. Don't feel like you have to put your child in a book because it's his age/grade level. If your son is age ready for one guide, but the academic reality is that he is ready for the one above or below it, that is perfectly OK! The point isn't that he fits into a grade mold, but that he learns. You'll know if something is too easy too difficult after a couple weeks, and can make adjustments, or tweak things to suit your particular need.

The first year of homeschool is a hard year for parents. So many decisions to make! But you'll do great and so will your kids :) The best part is seeing that light bulb come on in your kids eyes when something clicks and they are excited to learn something new, or see something they previously learned in a new way. Good Luck this year, and Welcome to the board!
Last edited by julsoliveira on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dancinkayak11971

Post by dancinkayak11971 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:25 pm

Thank-You all for your quick and informative replies. Someone told me how wonderful this message board was and i did not really believe it. Now i do.

I have one more question. Does anyone know if Heart of Dakota has a payment plan or is the only option to pay all at once?

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 pm

I have heard that if you contact the Austins via email or phone call, that they are often willing to work out a payment plan. But, it takes you initiating it.
Mom to