Dictation in Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jacynamommy

Dictation in Preparing

Post by jacynamommy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 pm

How do I know which level of dictation to do in Preparing? Do I just sort of guess where to place my son or is the level related to grade? He did dictation last year in Beyond, and he almost always got every dictation passage correct. I'm guessing I should go with level 4 because I believe he's ready for that, but want to make sure I'm not missing something in picking! Thanks!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

daybreaking

Re: Dictation in Preparing

Post by daybreaking » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:11 pm

jacynamommy wrote:How do I know which level of dictation to do in Preparing? Do I just sort of guess where to place my son or is the level related to grade? He did dictation last year in Beyond, and he almost always got every dictation passage correct. I'm guessing I should go with level 4 because I believe he's ready for that, but want to make sure I'm not missing something in picking! Thanks!
Did you mean Bigger, rather than Beyond, or did you skip a guide?

The dictation passages aren't meant to be related to grade, but are simply meant to be done in order, starting in Bigger Hearts. So, if you did level 2 with Bigger, then you would do level 3 in Preparing. If you did level 3 in Bigger, then you would do level 4 in Preparing.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:23 am

Yes, I did mean Bigger...sorry! There is only one dictation list in Bigger and there is no "list number" assigned to it that I can see. It looks like, though, that the List 2 in Preparing is the same in Bigger now that I've compared. I guess that means it would be natural to go to list 3 this year...but if that's the case, then why is List 4 even in Preparing as an option? I'm confused! :roll:
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Hmmm, that's a good question. I had to pull out both of my guides and take a look as I didn't realize Preparing also had Level 4. I'm not sure why it's included, unless it's for students who start HOD with Preparing and are ready for Level 4 dictation. One thought for you is that you could go ahead and start with Level 4 and if all is going well, stick with it, but if your son starts to make several mistakes, bump back to Level 3. Maybe Carrie or Julie could answer this better? Perhaps if they don't see this thread, you could PM Carrie and I'm sure she answer you.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 am

Yes you would move into level 3 if you completed 2 in Bigger. Level 4 is in there for people using Preparing in the extension range or if a kid is advanced and needs to move ahead in dictation. The same with level 2 being in there for kids who weren't ready for dictation with Bigger.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:26 pm

As always, thanks ladies!
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:36 pm

With my two doing dictation I've found that they get to a point occasionally where they need to jump ahead a bit with dictation. My oldest went from somewhere in level 2 in Preparing to working through the first 1/4 of level 4. So it's possible to need all three levels.

Which reminds me I haven't been doing dictation with them since before summer.... I need to get on that :shock: