advice needed for how to "catch up" a five day unit plan

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenireneof3

advice needed for how to "catch up" a five day unit plan

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 am

Hello!

We have just started our first year of HOD. I have two kids going thru LHFHG with some Beyond supplements for my older child. We are loving it so far!

My question is for you veterans. LHFHG is a five day unit plan. So far no problems there. I anticipate in the future, with a "sick" day or a field trip, or a holiday, that we will run into the issue of missing a day or two in a week. My concern is that I love the way one unit currently fits into one week. If we get off a day or two, it is important to work back to the point where we have the unit all in one week? Or do you just end up splitting a unit over a weekend (part of a unit in one week and part in the next week) indefinitely?

Thanks!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

TrueGRIT

Re: advice needed for how to "catch up" a five day unit plan

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 am

I have found that it irons itself out. We have needed to carry over a unit to another week before, but by 2-3 weeks down the road were back on track.
Occasionally we have done an extra box or 2. Other times if my ds was ready we did 2 days. After the initial set back, I have never worried about it. Even if you are doing a unit over 2 separate weeks it is still all right. HTH some.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Thank you! Excuse my dumb question, but what is HTH? :oops:
Sara Irene
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:23 pm

HTH is Hope that helps :D

We have never completed a full unit in a week. My goal is 3-4 HOD days a week and the other two my oldest does the 3 R's. So, we rarely start Day 1 on a Monday or finish Day 5 on a Friday. It bothered me for about a unit or two and then I got over it :D . If it is important to you, then you would probably just work it into your schedule to get back on track (i.e. school on a Saturday or double up some boxes for a few days.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

cjbaby

Post by cjbaby » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:07 pm

queenireneof3 wrote:Thank you! Excuse my dumb question, but what is HTH? :oops:

I was wondering the same thing, lol.
Christina

DD 7 years old
LHTH, LHFHG, currently using Beyond
DS due in October

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:24 pm

cjbaby wrote:
queenireneof3 wrote:Thank you! Excuse my dumb question, but what is HTH? :oops:

I was wondering the same thing, lol.
I had to google it a couple of years ago... :D
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

I does work it'self out, and even so, we sometimes school on a Saturday, or Sunday afternoon during the winter months. We also don't take bank Holidays, and our winter break is only one week. with that, you end up getting more done than you realize!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 am

You already face it with Labor day if you plan to take that off. We will probably do school, we like to do school with Daddy home, it goes so smoothly because we can work with two kids at once and the kids love to show off what they can do for Daddy.

I gave up having a unit fall within a week a while ago. It does work nicely, Day 5 is always a good review time and in Bigger at least it seems shorter. I love how Day 5 is Bible reading that goes along with what we've studied in history all week. But it still works out even if you don't do it Monday-Friday. It's been at least 2 years I have been doing it that way, just whenever it falls, and it is fine.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Nope, just keep working at it one day at a time. If you don't finish a unit in a week just start again where you left off on the next school day. That is what we do anyways. In fact I'm running all of my guides 4 days a week to match the schedule of the higher guides, so we can do light school and a informal co-op on Fridays. I used to be worried about keeping the units within a week and then I realized it didn't matter. :)
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 am

It's only important to keep each unit in the same week if it's driving you insane, lol :lol: ]

We do school anywhere between 2 and 5 days per week. Our 'Day 1' is never on Monday.
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:33 pm

If you don't get 5 days done in a week, I would not recommend doubling up on boxes. It may drive some people insane to not get the 5 done, but it would drive me insane to try to push the work so I could. It really isn't necessary. You will enjoy HOD more if you work at it a day at a time the way it was meant to be, even if it means starting day 5 on a Monday, etc. Many people do not get a whole guide finished in a year. When I first started out with LHFHG, and even then doing Beyond, I wanted to make sure I got the whole guide done in a year. That caused a little stress :wink: But when we started Bigger, we just worked at it as we could. When we begin Preparing next year, it is only 4 days a week. Most weeks we will be able to do that, but if there are times we can't, then we will just pick up where we left off the next week. Enjoy it a day at a time :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you ladies! Just the advice I needed! I quit trying to "catch us up" to a unit all in one week, and am now just doing one day at a time no matter what day of the week it falls on. You're right, the kids don't seem to notice or care if the unit fits nicely in a week. I feel at ease...(c:
Sara Irene

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:31 pm

I see you have your answer, but I have to chime in that it drives me nuts to NOt have the units line up. I want school done in 35 weeks, no ifs-ands-or-buts! :) (True, you don't have to do all the units, but I don't like to miss stuff, either.)
I easily do two days of history in one day if need be, just omit a day of story time. I do language on our own schedule (one day at a time) so that it doesn't have to match up, ever. Or I will double some boxes one day, other boxes another day.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways