science question CTC and Res to Ref...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4arrows

science question CTC and Res to Ref...

Post by 4arrows » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi, just wondering if any of you use the journal notebooks or lapbooking kits that go with the Apologia Science books? I know Carrie doesn't schedule these in for time sake but thinking my daughters would really enjoy them. Would be interested to know how they have worked for you, how you use them, time it takes, etc. How do you merge Carrie's plans with the notebook or lapbook. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Elizabeth

chillin'inandover

Re: science question CTC and Res to Ref...

Post by chillin'inandover » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:37 am

Elizabeth,
My son finished CTC and will start RTR soon. I have used Apologia notebooks but not with HOD. I used it with co op using other books not in HOD. The days in HOD are packed with a variety of activities in all subjects making for a full 4 days. The way Carrie schedules science includes a note booking page per week done on the first day, oral narration on 2nd day, written questions on 3rd day, and experiment with lab write up on day 4. I looked over RTR and more written narration, definitions are added to the previous schedule. The science is full as written in the guide, adding Apologia notebook would be too much extra for more money. If your child desires to do extra drawing and writing each assignment in guide can be extended, but my son is a 'just the basics' kind of guy. For instance when adding to the and animal notebook you can do several pages of pictures tracks and facts. There were blank pages in my son's book as he only did 1 drawing when it said to draw 1 or more. In CTC there are directions to make 3 separate notebooks for land animals, birds, and plants. Nothing fancy in the directions, but they could be. I had animal track stamps and rubbing cards (from co op) that my son used for his land animals book. Seems full enough as written.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

lucsch

Post by lucsch » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 am

I plan to use Carrie's plans only for notebooking, even though we have used the other Apologia books with their journals. We may use some lapbook components, which I purchased inexpensively, to supplement.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 pm

You can get a lot of free notebooking sheets for each Apologia book online. In the front of each book is a password. Go to apologia.com/bookextras and type in the password.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger