How do you do dithor w 2 levels?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TinainOK

How do you do dithor w 2 levels?

Post by TinainOK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:42 am

I'm confused on how to do this. I am a scheduler(times/kid subjects to use as a guide)iand as I look at the general daily format, I see some days are together and some are not. Also, you need to listen to 2 different kids reading 2 different (tho same genre) bks. How do you put this on the schedule w out scheduling different times for different days, different student/teacher needs? To do that seems very complicated and confusing. Am I missing something simple to solve this problem? Thanks for any help! Also, in my searches, I found a link from Carrie's sister where she had a charted schedule pr child and times. that's the way I schedule, but I am really struggling to make it work w this curriculum using 2 for 2 kids. Does anyone know where the link is to what I found? The computer was turned off before I looked at it good and I lost it.
Tina
mother of 2 homeschool grads, 11 yr old ds, 9 yr old dd; used: beyond,bigger,creation to Christ. This yr: preparing & resurrection to reformation

mom23

Re: How do you do dithor w 2 levels?

Post by mom23 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm watching for your answers on DITHOR with 2 levels!

Have you looked through the scheduling thread? It's a sticky near the top of the Main Board called "Let's Share our Schedules!" There are lots of ladies there who have posted timed schedules for managing school with more than one kiddo.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 pm

I'll be watching this thread too... I'm going to have kids in three different levels of DITHOR and I'm wondering if I might be crazy. :)
Jenn, mom to 10

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 am

I do the teacher part together, send them off to read, and then go over the student book when they are done. I have them read aloud randomly throughout the day, not necessarily DITHOR, though sometimes it is. MOST times it's reading aloud to their little sisters ;) It takes about 15-20 minutes the way I do it. I use that time to either teach something to someone else or do some chore/get food ready.

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Post it sticky tabs my friends. We start the genre together, but I do the dithor with each kid at a different time of our day. They don't read to you on every day. some days they read to themselves. When my 4/5 reader doesn't have a dithor day, I use the post it sticky tabs to keep track of what day he's on, but can proceed with my level 2/3 reader by moving her sticky tab. It works fine :) I usually work with my 2/3 reader while my older child is doing something independent like math or grammar. I would never try to do them at the exact same time. That would be too chaotic for me.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:01 am

Great point julsolivera, with 2/3 and in Bigger you are doing it every day, and Preparing and higher you do it 3 days a week I believe (which it's a 4 day/week guide so you do it 3/4 of the days). You would get out of sync anyway. There are a few days where it talks about either looking at the books that all the children will be reading, asking questions for another student to answer, things like that. Maybe a couple of those in each genre.

Like MomToJGJE, sometimes I do have my 2/3 student read her reading for that day on her own. Not usually though. She is a fast reader, she skims too much. I hope by having her read to me 1) to still work through any phonics or sounding out problems she has, which she still has some and 2) to encourage slow, careful reading from her so she can do the assignments.

Do you have two 2/3 students? Then I would think you would have to schedule for them to read to you (or your husband, or someone else who can help them) in individual time slots. Then you could maybe go over the activity/assignment together, or you could do it separately if they have trouble remembering what they've read for very long. Do the activity/assignment right after they read.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven