After Cheerful Cursive?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alydar

After Cheerful Cursive?

Post by alydar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:06 am

It's been a while since I've posted here. We've had a difficult year with some family loss and really getting out of our homeschooling groove. So we put HOD on hold and just kept up some basics. I'm so thankful and joyful to say that we are back to our HOD plans and the break has made a world of difference in abilities and attitudes. :D DS9 is finishing unit 12 of Bigger today and DD7 is in unit 9 of Beyond. The Lord is good!

One of our "basics" we continued with during our hiatus was Cheerful Cursive for DS. He probably has about two more weeks (give or take) of the book and then he'll be done. My question is: where to go from here? I heard Preparing instructs some assignments to be done in cursive, therefore continuing the practice but we're still trekking through Bigger. Should I start having him do some things in cursive in Bigger or should I get him another instructional book until we start Preparing? I will tell you he HATES doing cursive. He's never liked writing anyways, but cursive just really gets his goat. :lol:

Thank you for any advice! So glad to be back!! :D
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

luv2homeschool

Re: After Cheerful Cursive?

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 am

I would think that he should do a line of copywork in cursive every day or so once he finishes. Getting another instructional book would start him right back at the beginning. My son also does not like cursive and really struggles with it. I was just realizing that he hasn't used it all summer, in fact I don't think he's written anything except for a couple of thank you notes, and he's going to have a hard adjustment once we start up again.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

lucsch

Post by lucsch » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 am

The Draw and Write Through History books do have copywork in cursive which would continue the practice. Take a look at Currclick for copywork ebooks. I think I saw one somewhere (scholastic?) which used jokes and riddles. He may like that.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

alydar

Post by alydar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:24 am

Thank you! :D
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1