Wait on Story Time in LHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
nena3927

Wait on Story Time in LHFHG?

Post by nena3927 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 pm

I have my 4 yr old dd and 5 yr old ds doing LHTH and my 5 yr old is also doing the right side only of LHFHG. My plan is for them to both be in LHFHG next year, my dd with the Kindergarten options and my ds with the 1st grade options. I know there are many of you that have taken this route with your dc and I wanted to know if you waited story time until both your dc were working in the same guide? We are stating Unit 3 tomorrow and so far I have been doing the story time as scheduled with both dc. I was thinking though it might be better to wait till next year since they will BOTH be in LHFHG then. What did you do in this situation? Thanks!
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

bethelmommy

Re: Wait on Story Time in LHFHG?

Post by bethelmommy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 pm

I would wait. There are so many good children's stories to read in the meantime. It will be easier for you to use the LHFHG guide as is as much as possible and not have to look at substituting story time. If you want Thorton Burgess books, you can always read some of the ones not scheduled in the guide. We read Old Mother West Wind before starting LHFHG and my kids were thrilled to get back to the Burgess characters.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:02 am

I agree. Though people talk about "right side, left side" I think they generally do the storytime of the lower guide, especially with combining. You will find this even more appropriate down the road, your younger needs to be able to comprehend and answer the questions, and two storytimes adds a lot of teacher time which is unnecessary (adds a lot in later guides, obviously it's not a lot of time at this level). I hope this helps!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:12 am

I believe that "right side" means the the 3 Rs. The storytime belongs to the "left". That's my understanding.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Thank you everyone! I was thinking it would probably be better to wait. We skipped our storytime today with Reddy Fox and they didn't complain lol. And thank you Alicia for recommending "Old Mother West Wind". If they ask for storytime, we will definitely try that book instead :)
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

amysue277

Post by amysue277 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:05 pm

I was exactly in your shoes last year, and I read the Burgess books. If my then 4 yr. old would've had trouble, I would have stopped...but he comprehended just fine. We are doing LHFHG completely this year, and are reading books from Beyond. My 1st grader is doing the 3 R's from Beyond so I have it open on my counter anyway. I really loved the book choices in Beyond's packs, and wanted to read as many of them as I could. So we will read some (the easier ones) this year, and another set next year. We're only on Helen Keller, but it's working fine.
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:26 pm

I would wait and read some picture books instead this year. ;)
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th