Instructions for doing s boxes and combining kids?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
joyfulhomeschooler

Instructions for doing s boxes and combining kids?

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm

I have two that will be in Preparing come September. I'm trying to get our schedule figure out and going through the guide week by week to see how it will all play out. Do I have my kids work together on the s boxes? Do I explain it to them and then have them team up, or do they need to be doing it at separate times? How have others doing Preparing done it with two?
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)

4Hispraise

Re: Instructions for doing s boxes and combining kids?

Post by 4Hispraise » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 pm

We did Preparing with our ten and nine year old - four years ago. From what I remember, I gave instruction and then they completed the assignment separately. Occasionally, like when they prepared food, they did it together. HTH
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 pm

We did Preparing with our ten and nine year old - four years ago. From what I remember, I gave instruction and then they completed the assignment separately. Occasionally, like when they prepared food, they did it together. HTH
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:54 am

We finished Preparing last year with my two oldest and mainly they worked together on the S boxes. For the History Project, they each made their own project but worked at the same time. For Research, I just had them take turns different days looking up the topic on Wikipedia and then during follow-up would just make sure I asked a couple of questions to each one. Likewise, for Geography I just had them take turns pointing out the locations on the map and naming the locations, etc. They each did their own Vocabulary cards and Timeline. They are in different levels of DITHOR so that was separated. Dictation & Grammar we did together.

We LOVED Preparing, hope yours do as well!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was feeling guilty about having them do some things together. I kept thinking that they are needing to be more independent so I need to separate them. It's great to hear how others have done it.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)