Would switching math programs set us back?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deut6family

Would switching math programs set us back?

Post by deut6family » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi!

We have been using Math U See since kindergarten. My daughter will be in 2nd grade this coming year.
Math u see is a mastery program. She is in the middle of Alpha which meAns
She has only completed addition facts and not yet started on subtraction. Looking at Singapore, she would have to go back
And start with 1A as a second grader. I am trying to decide what to do! Does
Anyone have experience with switching from Math u see to Singapore?
Would I be doing her a disservice to switch programs since she
Will technically be behind in Singapore?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Sarah

sted

Re: Would switching math programs set us back?

Post by sted » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:08 pm

If I were you and you were happy with Math U See, I would just continue it. We have used HOD for a few years now and use Math U See right along with it which works just fine.

Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

jahall2000

Post by jahall2000 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 pm

If you are happy with what you are using, continue with it. If you think you'd like to switch, I wouldn't worry about being behind. Singapore is ahead in many aspects to other programs, so many 2nd graders start with 1A or 1B. This is not uncommon. We've only used Singapore for a year so far, but I'm really happy with how well my son is doing with it.
Married to DH foralmost 13 years.
1 precious blessing here with us, 2 in heaven.
6 yo ds - Little Hearts or Beyond for 1st

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:10 pm

We've done some switching around of Math Programs the past few years... yes, it does usually put you "behind". I've only found it to be worth it if continuing with the same program is going to put us *more* behind (ie the kids just aren't getting it and we're rehashing the same thing over and over with lots of tears and frustration.) I don't think coming to Singapore 1A as a 2nd grader would be a big concern as far as being behind-Singapore's usually known as being about a year ahead. However, if Math-U-See is working for you, I also would recommend sticking with it.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 pm

mom23 wrote:We've done some switching around of Math Programs the past few years... yes, it does usually put you "behind". I've only found it to be worth it if continuing with the same program is going to put us *more* behind (ie the kids just aren't getting it and we're rehashing the same thing over and over with lots of tears and frustration.) I don't think coming to Singapore 1A as a 2nd grader would be a big concern as far as being behind-Singapore's usually known as being about a year ahead. However, if Math-U-See is working for you, I also would recommend sticking with it.
Totally agree with this post. Not sure why you want to switch, but we did MUS and R&S and they did not work for dd. We however have used MUS for ds from the beginning and it works beautifully. He is going to do Zeta this year. So dd would have gotten more behind to stick with the other programs. My dd has just turned 9, starting 4th grade, and has completed 1B, 2A, and 2B of Singapore. Her standardized tests jumped 20% in Math. She will start 3A next week, so is technically working Singapore behind. HTH.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Because of how much I love Carrie's hands on activities, I would make the switch. I think Singapore 1 and 2 are great when paired with Carrie's activities. Most of my children are "behind" if you compare grade to Singapore number. However, if you consider that children who make it through 6B well could go straight into Foerster's Algebra 1, I have absolutely no problem with kids not finishing the Singapore 6B until the end of 7th grade.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Also, if you continue with Singapore 5 days/week even when the guides switch to four, you could make up some time down the road.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

deut6family

Post by deut6family » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Thank u everyone for your posts!!! It has been so
Helpful! My main reason for wanting to switch is
That I really feel like My daughter is missing out
On some other math elements like: measurement,
Time, money, graphing etc. in math u see. We have
Also been stuck trying to memorize addition facts since
March- she is bored and I am bored. I am also concerned,
Because if something were to happen and she needed
To go back to a school setting, that because math u see
Is not a spiral program that she would not be caught up
With her "grade". Does that seem valid? I think mus has some
Really great teaching tips- I love that! So I may still use
It when needed as another way to learn a difficult
Concept.

deut6family

Post by deut6family » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 pm

StillJulie wrote:Because of how much I love Carrie's hands on activities, I would make the switch. I think Singapore 1 and 2 are great when paired with Carrie's activities. Most of my children are "behind" if you compare grade to Singapore number. However, if you consider that children who make it through 6B well could go straight into Foerster's Algebra 1, I have absolutely no problem with kids not finishing the Singapore 6B until the end of 7th grade.

Love this! I agree, last year I kept looking at the fun activities
Carrie had in the book and was itching to try them out!!! Thanks
For letting me know that singpore's "levels" are maybe
Not totally true to the grade level. That helps in deciding!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:14 am

Singapore is also a mastery program...you may still find the same issues if you had to switch to public school down the road?
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:17 am

mom23 wrote:Singapore is also a mastery program...you may still find the same issues if you had to switch to public school down the road?
It isn't the spiral vs mastery that makes the difference. Some schools use mastery and others use spiral. The big difference is MUS isn't grade level sequences. So, they don't teach things in the same order as most other curriculums. So, this is what can cause problems if you were to go to school.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

deut6family

Post by deut6family » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 am

StephanieU wrote:
mom23 wrote:Singapore is also a mastery program...you may still find the same issues if you had to switch to public school down the road?
It isn't the spiral vs mastery that makes the difference. Some schools use mastery and others use spiral. The big difference is MUS isn't grade level sequences. So, they don't teach things in the same order as most other curriculums. So, this is what can cause problems if you were to go to school.

Yes! This is what I am referring to. MUS just doesn't cover
Enough different topics per grade level as I had hoped! I have
Decided to switch to Singapore and will keep MUS just in case
I decide to go back or use it to supplement. Sometimes you don't
Really know how good a program is or if it will work better
Until you give it a try!

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 am

This is an interesting thread to me because I haven't been able to make up my mind between MUS and Singapore so we are doing both (half time) next year! We tried Rightstart last year for my son's 1st grade year. We stuck with it until April when I realized how stressful Math was and how he wasn't learning much of anything. I love the idea of Singapore with Carrie's math plans. Our Homeschool Assistant (for the Iowa Public School system), whom I really love and respect, is a HUGE fan of MUS but let us pick our own curriculum last year since I was so set on Right Start. After picking my own curriculum and failing...I feel I should respect her choice now since my son is basically an entire year behind in math. He is a perfect candidate for Singapore 1A even though he is "technically" a 2nd grader. My concern in doing only MUS was not having the "thinking" math in Singapore and being even farther behind in the Singapore program if we decided to switch later if MUS doesn't work for us. So I've decided to start with both--MUS as the core program and Singapore as a supplement. As the year progresses, that might switch depending on which program he does better with. I'm still not sure how to exactly work out the detail of this--it is probably too much. sigh. i'm just going to take it a day at a time and see how the Lord leads.
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 pm

We switched from Singapore to MUS when my oldest was 3rd grade. I wish we hadn't. :( MUS gets really bogged down in the fractions book. Maybe before that, but I don't remember. We couldn't finish fractions and just dropped it. I now wish we had stayed with Singapore all the way. It teaches all four functions right from the start. With the fractions book, it just became ridiculous. I loved fractions as a kid, they were so easy! But MUS made them awful. I have heard that many people dropped MUS during the fractions book.

I *personally* would highly suggest doing something else, and Singapore is a great option.

Plus, MUS, has made a big deal about advertising that it is Common Core compliant, which doesn't sit right with me (but that's another thread altogether.) ;)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

2girls2boysnme

Post by 2girls2boysnme » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:07 pm

We have switched a lot in the past two years, and I believe that has set us back. However, in your situation, I don't think you would be "behind" by starting 3rd grade with Singapore 2A. Most kids work a number behind their grade level.