Ready for Drawn into Reading?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deut6family

Ready for Drawn into Reading?

Post by deut6family » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi everyone!

I have a 7 year old, 5 1/2 year old and 4 year old. I am debating on whether to start Beyond Little Hearts or Bigger Hearts with my 7 year old. If I do Beyond Little Hearts, how will I know if I should start Drawn into the Heart of Reading? She is an excellent reader- but her writing still takes some time. Also, right now I have my 5 1/2 year old in Little Hands to heaven with the 4 year old-BUT, my 5 1/2 year old can already read many 3 letter words and can write. Should I move her up to Little Hearts to Heaven? I hope all these questions make sense!!! Thanks!

Sarah

StephanieU

Re: Ready for Drawn into Reading?

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:10 pm

What I have heard is that is it best to have them at the middle age of the guide unless you want to combine. Also, if possible it is nice to have a break between guides, especially when you get to Preparing and CTC because those are challenging guides for parents and kids normally (with a move to more independent work, etc.

As for DITHOR, have you looked at the emerging reader list? If your 7yo can read and understand the books on that list, then start DITHOR. If not, start (and finish ER) with what ever level you think it an appropriate starting places.

As for LHFHG or LHTH, I personally would keep the younger two together in LHTH, but I would start working on the right side of LHFHG - the math, fine motor skills, and phonics. Then, next year, they can both do LHFHG. The now 5.5 yo can do the 1st grade math, phonics, and fine motor skills while the now 4yo can do the K. And if the 5.5 yo is ready for it, you can use the right side of Beyond/appendix for ER and spelling (and math, as this guide has the 1st grade math in it). This way you will only be doing 2 guides at a time, which is easier.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:43 pm

The placement chart https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php is the place to start to know where your oldest will fit. Place her somewhere where she will be comfortable, not over challenged. That will help her to enjoy school and be able to work up to the abilities she needs.

I would continue LHTH with your 5.5 YO and add The Reading Lesson (or another learn-to-read program) and maybe math if you think he is ready. LHTH is a great overview of the Bible, and the activities are simple and fun. It may be "easy" but again gets him into school without a lot of trouble. I would think you would keep those two together and just add in some challenge in the 3Rs for the older one. That will save you time on reading History and things like that, especially on down the road.

Just some thoughts. You can come back and share what your oldest looks like on the placement chart and we are happy to answer more questions about the programs if you have any.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

deut6family

Post by deut6family » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 pm

I agree! I think my 7 year old fits on the chart for Beyond. She is not quite able to write a complete sentence on her own- as is stated in the placement chart for Bigger. I do think she could use more English on a daily basis. I am considering staying with Beyond, doing the Emerging Reader set and adding cursive writing as well as adding Rod and Staff 2. Would this be pushing her too much?

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Emerging Reader or DITHOR - you said she is an excellent reader, can you list some books she has read recently? Emerging Readers get quite a bit harder after they get through some of the classic early-readers like Frog and Toad, etc. Prairie School is a good one to start with, I loved the story in that one. Many of them are interesting historically as well as just good reads, and will challenge your child in reading level.

Can she print very neatly, and is she able to do a lot of copywork? Beyond will have her copying a poem each week (which she does not have to copy the whole thing, but just as much as she can do well in about 10 minutes each day), spelling words, and simple grammar instruction that is written right in the guide. Rod & Staff 2 is a lot more work and can be intense. My suggestion would be to buy Beyond, if you think that is your core guide, and look through the grammar plans written in there and see if it's enough. She shouldn't start cursive unless she can print well and pretty easily. The copywork in Beyond builds up their writing "chops" to prepare for even more fine motor skills in cursive. If you are concerned that adding cursive and R&S 2 is too much, then I would start without them, and add them in if it seems she is ready for more. Just my thought.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:34 am

Sounds like Beyond would be perfect for your daughter as is. There is just the right amount of English/Grammar instruction in there for this age/ability. The best thing to focus on right now is the copy work (they learn so so much from that). She will slowly build up the amount as the year progresses. Let her spend the "extra" time after finishing the guide for the day, reading, reading, reading. :) That's fantastic that she is reading. I wouldn't start cursive until Bigger. There isn't a hurry. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG