New to HOD and have 2 questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
IronMan's mom

New to HOD and have 2 questions

Post by IronMan's mom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi all. I am new to HOD and have 2 questions for which I need answers before I purchase lhfhg for my soon-to-be kindergartner.
1: When he takes his standardized testing each year, does this curriculum teach in all areas that will be on the test?
2: If we desire a switch to a different curriculum at some point (ex: say he becomes a more independent learner) such as ACE or Switched on Schoolhouse or some other method, will he be able to make that transition or will there be learning gaps because it's a different method of study? (Possible scenario: 7th grade comes around and we switch to something else, but because he hasn't learned pre-algebra, we have to supplement and play catch?)

I look forward to your answers (any who may be reading). :D

StephanieU

Re: New to HOD and have 2 questions

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:57 pm

I have found HOD to be on schedule with other curriculums. There will be differences on what order science and history are covered, but this normally isn't a problem unless it is high school (due to state requirements for what history/social studies credits a student must have). As for math, HOD is on the normal schedule. Normally Algebra 1 is a freshman level course, just like HOD had scheduled.

As far as switching curriculums, first you will fund HOD becomes quite independent as the kids get older, starting with Preparing. But, I don't think it would be hard to switch to something else if needed. I would always check the scope and sequence or placement charts/tests when switching simply because some curriculums are about a year behind others in areas like math and grammar.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

IronMan's mom

Post by IronMan's mom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Steph, thanks for your reply. I appreciate all the info.
I have never seen these end-of-year tests before. I am afraid that he will not measure up to standard if we do a curriculum that "thinks outside the box". Is this a valid concern? Such as do standardized tests ask about a section of history that we haven't covered yet, or the same with science? Do they ask health and fitness questions that I'm supposed to be teaching from a certain curriculum? Does all that make sense, or am I rambling? lol

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Most standardized tests cover language arts and math mainly. But you can look at what your state requires too. I know moms on here have posted that their kids have scored high on the tests using HOD. But each state has different retirements for home schooling. I live in a state that only requires registering as a home school, so it isn't something I have to worry about. I know some states just say kids have to be making progress as shown in the tests each year. Some States let you pick the test too.
Last edited by StephanieU on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

IronMan's mom

Post by IronMan's mom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks so much!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:23 pm

IronMan's mom wrote:Hi all. I am new to HOD and have 2 questions for which I need answers before I purchase lhfhg for my soon-to-be kindergartner.
1: When he takes his standardized testing each year, does this curriculum teach in all areas that will be on the test?
2: If we desire a switch to a different curriculum at some point (ex: say he becomes a more independent learner) such as ACE or Switched on Schoolhouse or some other method, will he be able to make that transition or will there be learning gaps because it's a different method of study? (Possible scenario: 7th grade comes around and we switch to something else, but because he hasn't learned pre-algebra, we have to supplement and play catch?)

I look forward to your answers (any who may be reading). :D
Hi IronMan's mom, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D StephanieU already did a super job of answering your questions, so I will just agree! :D We have given the IA Basic Skills tests here for our 3 sons through the years, having used HOD for a decade, and been thrilled with the testing results, though I do believe I would be absolutely fine with very average dc who had their hearts right with the Lord. :wink: Here are a few links where moms using HOD have shared their success with standardized testing...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6096
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6651

That being said, the primary reason I love HOD has less to do with how well my dc are doing academically especially in the standardized testing realm and more to do with how much I love the development I see with their faith, their hearts, and their relationships with me, my dh, and each other. Just so you know - HOD writes plans with the mind and the heart of dc in mind - I just have appreciated that so much - especially with a teenager - so I had to share that! :D :D :D Here's a link regarding this difference between testing and the Charlotte Mason approach within HOD that was a switch in my way of thinking that has been helpful to me, in case this may be helpful...
Testing vs. CM Approach within HOD:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4693&p=34480

I actually was a teacher for online AO for SOS for multiple years. At one point I had over 150 students. They were kind, good people to work with, so I will not comment on the curriculum itself. However, I can confidently say your dc would have no trouble being academically up to speed enough with HOD to then move to an online program such as ACE or SOS. :wink: They would definitely miss the interaction, discussion, and hands-on forms of varied assessments HOD provides, but they would not struggle academically in any way. :D The assessments in HOD are varied, and they help dc develop skills in many important areas. This post may explain this better than I can...
Higher Level Thinking in HOD from Carrie:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8178

I think you will LOVE HOD! :D It has been a blessing in our home, and I can't wait for you to help! Hope something here has helped! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

IronMan's mom

Post by IronMan's mom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Thank you, Julie, for your response. I am reading the links now, but am not sure of a few acronyms....
DC, DD, DH, and AO.
Can you help me out with the lingo so I can fully understand? Sorry, I'm new to the homeschool shorthand. I'll get it soon, enough, I guess. LOL! Thanks!
Angeleigh

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 pm

I can help with a few.

DC - dear children
DH - dear husband
DD - dear daughter
DS - dear son
AO I don't know, it may have something to do with Switched on Schoolhouse, which I don't know anything about other than that it's a mostly computer based curriculum and I have seen them at Homeschool conventions.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

laurapella

Post by laurapella » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Dear children...dear daughter...dear husband...Alpha Omega (curriculum company) :D

HTH!
Laura
Laura - Loving HOD!!
DS11 (5th) - CTC + DITHOR, Math Mammoth
DS8 (3rd) - Bigger (4 days/week), Math Mammoth
DD6 (1st) - LHFHG (1st grade options & ER - 4 days/wk), Math Mammoth
DD5 (almost K) - LHFHG (K options & TRL - 4 days/wk)

IronMan's mom

Post by IronMan's mom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:05 pm

LOL!!!!! Thanks ladies! :lol: