Why did the book in the LHFHG set change

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kims

Why did the book in the LHFHG set change

Post by Kims » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:52 pm

I was looking at the 1st grade options the other day and one of the books was different it was not the thinking and choosing book. When/why did it change?
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Dustybug

Re: Why did the book in the LHFHG set change

Post by Dustybug » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:05 pm

I believe that book went out of print.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

Kims

Post by Kims » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:42 pm

The one that went out of print was the thinking skills book I believe.
This week the book changed. I was looking earlier in the week and it changed to a different Rod and Staff book and I just wondered why.
Kim S
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Kim,

Good question! The ladies are right that the Thinking Skills book went out of print and was replaced with the Rod and Staff titles Going on Eagerly/Hearing and Helping. However, just as the LHFHG was getting ready to go to press, the Just Thinking and Choosing book for Rod and Staff came out. So, I had to take a look! :wink:

While we do like the Hearing and Helping book very well, it has quite a bit of phonics in its lessons (which is good reinforcement but is also an area that is covered well within most phonics programs used with LHFHG). So, in pondering what Just Thinking and Choosing had to offer, we found that it targeted skills that would be good for the kiddos to have outside of the phonics arena too. This made it a better choice than Hearing and Helping, although Hearing and Helping is still an excellent book. :D

So, the new LHFHG guide includes Going on Eagerly and Just Thinking and Choosing for the fine motor skills. If you have Hearing and Helping, you received a schedule that we made to go along with it and should be able to use that one with your guide. If you are getting the new version of LHFHG, then you will receive Just Thinking and Choosing.

Since the books are so economically priced at $3.25, if you would like to have Just Thinking and Choosing, you might consider just adding that to your previous program. The Rod and Staff books are so well-done that you can't beat the value or the fine motor skills that they reinforce and build. :D I know the Rod and Staff books were one of my son's favorite things to do in LHFHG. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Carrie,
Thanks for explaining! From the glimpse I got of the new workbook, I LOVE your new choice. :D Thanks for all your hard work on the guide!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Kims

Post by Kims » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks Carrie for your great explanation. Thankfully I have not ordered yet. I was just about to when I saw the change.
That is on my agenda this week.
I do love the R&S books in fact with my 8yo I bought more after we did the two with LHFHG because he loved them so much.
This time around I will be finishing LHFHG with my 6yo (we got through lesson 16) so I need the 1st grade options.
Thanks again for all you do.
Kim S
― Albert Einstein